Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Gil Scott-Heron

wraub

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jim--Me too. I remember sitting in my sisters' bedroom and they'd play Living in the Bottle. They were way into GSH. This is an awesome song--great bass line.
"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

I never heard him, but I give him negative props for bagging on Rare Earth in "Televised". Rare Earth was the first white act signed to Motown and they were pretty killer. A few decades later a ton of rappers have sampled their beats and music, so they got the last laugh.

Here's the line:

"The theme song [to the revolution] will not be written by Jim Webb, Francis Scott Key, nor sung by Glen Campbell, Tom Jones, Johnny Cash, Engelbert Humperdinck, or the Rare Earth."

Glen Campbell can play a killer guitar and has done some of the best country tunes ever, several written by none other than Jim Webb, and women threw their underwear at Tom Jones which obviously means that he ruled, so clearly GSH let color color his thinking a bit too much.

Strongly in GSH's favor, I read that he said he "should not be blamed for rap". LOL!

Archived