Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sharma rotary speaker - anyone know about these ?

JpScoey

Just seen this on fleabay, but can't find any info on it on interweb.

Has anyone here tried/used one of these - & are they any good ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sharma-2000-275-Rotary-Organ-Speaker-w-Footswitch-/320703539478?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&rvr_id=235474439015&clk_rvr_id=235474439015

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John:

What part of "These things are monstrous in size ... recommend two of you to move them ... can't find any info on the net about these speakers ... they're most likely from the late 70s ... I'm chucking the 275 in just to get rid of it" hasn't smacked you upside the head and dissuaded you from this insane consideration? :facepalm:

I don't know why you say you can't find any info on the "interweb". Google is your friend. "Sharma Rotary" generates over 5K hits for example.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I remember the brand from the 70s, certainly. They were like a poor man's Leslie.

More here

Just buy a Vent, already!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

John:

What part of "These things are monstrous in size ... recommend two of you to move them ... can't find any info on the net about these speakers ... they're most likely from the late 70s ... I'm chucking the 275 in just to get rid of it" hasn't smacked you upside the head and dissuaded you from this insane consideration? :facepalm:

Sven, it was just a curiousity thing - & I wouldn't even consider carting something that bulky (& heavy) anywhere.

At the current price, though, it could fit nicely in my home studio to give my XK-1 that bit extra...???

@ Aidan - it's cheaper than a vent (unless you'd sell me yours for £120) !

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Er... that'd be a no then :)

But seriously, you'd be better putting the money towards the Vent. Infinitely better, portable and takes up much less space!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

There are just some insane things that are really fun..... like those custom leslies that Billy Preston and Goldy McJohn once played that were powered by Phase Linear D-500s.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

There's an interesting sentence in the Wikipedia entry:

"However, the sound of the Sharma was never intended to reproduce the distinctive and somewhat restricting sound of the Leslie speaker, focusing instead on the later electronic organs Lowrey, Baldwin, Allen, etc. which had more accurate orchestral voicing which required a flatter frequency response from the amplifier chain."

The author is calling a Leslie "somewhat restricting". I wonder who wrote it.

I would love to hear what the thing sounds like.

Edit:

It sounds like a Leslie, but with only 70% of the awesomeness.

[video:youtube]SjhGvUgtZGE

Archived