Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Test drove the band last night

Ross Brown

I know this falls in the who cares category, but

My new band played an open mic last night. We got to play 3 songs I was hoping for more but everyone got three Being used to playing a whole night for so long it was a bit frustrating to only play that much.

We played a Janiva Magness song Thats What Love Will Do for You; Pat B. - Hit me with Your Best Shot and Medicine - Grace Potter and the Nocturnals.

It was a good test. We had some minor deviations but it was comforting because it did not throw anyone off. Everyone was a pro and I doubt anyone in the crowd noticed. I bored myself with the bass line to the first song but was happy with the rest. The guy that hosts the open mic is a friend and a monster bass player I felt like I needed to do more I quickly let it go.

It is an all ages open mic so we brought my 15 year old step daughter. She had rehearsed the song Come together with us earlier in the week and got to sing it on stage with us. She did a nice job. She was scared but it didnt really show. She asked us to learn two more songs from this century. We agreed She sings well (like her mother) and it is a good experience for her.

The band has about two sets ready. Hopefully we will be booking gigs soon. We are still hoping to add a keyboard player but they are hard to find in these parts....

Thanks for reading.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a question out of curiosity: Do these guys dress the part?

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Just a question out of curiosity: Do these guys dress the part?

Absolutely.

Singer in heels and sexy black dress, guitar player in cool dress shirt, drummer looked like a pro. I wore white dress shirt with brand new blue jeans and new white sneakers. Kinda overkill for an open mic, but we dressed for what we want, not for where we were...

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

It is an all ages open mic so we brought my 15 year old step daughter. She had rehearsed the song Come together with us earlier in the week and got to sing it on stage with us. She did a nice job. She was scared but it didnt really show. She asked us to learn two more songs from this century. We agreed

Why? :laugh: My band just added a 22-year-old female vocalist (the rest of us are in our 50s). We're playing Steely Dan and she's like: "who?" I told her, "honey, you are going to be exposed to some of the greatest music ever..."

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

It is an all ages open mic so we brought my 15 year old step daughter. She had rehearsed the song Come together with us earlier in the week and got to sing it on stage with us. She did a nice job. She was scared but it didnt really show. She asked us to learn two more songs from this century. We agreed

Why? :laugh: My band just added a 22-year-old female vocalist (the rest of us are in our 50s). We're playing Steely Dan and she's like: "who?" I told her, "honey, you are going to be exposed to some of the greatest music ever..."

She likes a lot of "my" music for sure. My son plays a lot of blues in his band... It will be fun actually learning newer stuff... Kids have a wide range of taste.

Sounds great!

I've been playing with a few guys and a female singer. We've gotten several songs down, and I think we'll be ready to play in public soon.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Good for you, Ross. Glad to hear you are finally getting some traction after a long season of frustration.

As far as "this century" music, our drummer is 23, he's asked for a few things from 'this century' a couple times. But, he's really starting to latch on to the classics. He's really starting to understand what made that era of music so good.

Sounds like you had fun. Rock out :rawk:

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Cool stuff, Ross! How was the crowd reaction? And your musicians' nerves?

Good reaction from crowd. Everyone in the band has "been there" before. I asked the singer if she was nervous before we went on and she said "yes, a little, but I like to be a little nervous...". In general no one was nervous, for the most part.

Good reaction from crowd. Everyone in the band has "been there" before. I asked the singer if she was nervous before we went on and she said "yes, a little, but I like to be a little nervous...". In general no one was nervous, for the most part.

Sounds awesome, man :thu: Congrats! Any pics or audio available from this band?

Oh and about being nervous:

Harry Solomon: Dick, in order to be brave, you must first become afraid. For true courage lies in the overcoming of fear, not in its absence.

Dr. Dick Solomon: That's beautiful. Who said that?

Harry Solomon: The blue Power Ranger.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Sounds awesome, man :thu: Congrats! Any pics or audio available from this band?

Oh and about being nervous:

Harry Solomon: Dick, in order to be brave, you must first become afraid. For true courage lies in the overcoming of fear, not in its absence.

Dr. Dick Solomon: That's beautiful. Who said that?

Harry Solomon: The blue Power Ranger.

No pics or clips yet... that I'll post anyway....

Singer in heels and sexy black dress...
I'm assuming you're not referring to your 15-year-old stepdaughter here...

No Sir....

Hey, if you have 2 sets, why not book a weekly jam someplace? You get to play for an hour, and then the jammers take over. You can work in new tunes in front of a crowd and see their reaction. And, it gets the band out of the rehearsal hall, basement, garage, etc.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Hey, if you have 2 sets, why not book a weekly jam someplace? You get to play for an hour, and then the jammers take over. You can work in new tunes in front of a crowd and see their reaction. And, it gets the band out of the rehearsal hall, basement, garage, etc.

Yes, I am thinking about something like that... Thanks

So in what direction will you take this band? I am unfamiliar with the three songs you mentioned so I cannot guess at the genre.

Right now it is a strange mix. Grace Potter songs are kinda rockish/popish. We do some country rock, some blues (think Shemeka Copeland, SRV), Classic rock... and because I promised... we may through in a jazz type number or two.

We will eventually have sets ready for dance music and sets ready for the dinner crowd, so that we can take either type of gig.

Here is what we have so far...

Here for the Party

Love Disease

Take it Back

Wild Night

Steppin Stone

Paris

Medicine

Tightrope

Superstition

Hit Me with Your Best Shot

Fast as You

Some Kind of Wonderful Joss Stone version

Thats What Love Will Do for You

My Baby Loves Me

Come Together

On Fire

Its 2am

Attitude

Hurts So Bad

Sympathy for the Devil

Chain of Fools

I Get Evil

Blues Stew

I Just Came To Play

Interesting idea, Ross, to have different set lists for different occasions. Good to see a Fiona Apple tune on your list, too :) I am a big fan of her first two albums (even have a load of promo singles from various radio stations - and always welcome more copies) although her last album did not do it for me.

Drummer of the blues band told the rest of us today that we need to consider the audience's taste aside from our own, when choosing songs to add to the set list. Shows how in sync he and I are because all day at work I kept thinking about our set list and whether it was too obscure or not :) Last thing I want is for people to come over and ask: "Why not play a cover or two" when all you've been doing is just that :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• 3 weeks later...

Took the band out again for another test drive to a smallish tavern on a Thursday. My son told me to come check it out and bring the band... his band plays there a lot. The place was packed with people there to have fun... way cool.

We got about 8 songs and we did ok. We still have some work to do to tighten up but we are getting there. I like this group I am with now. Also, I got to debut my vocal version of the Monkees song Steppin' Stone. I would like to do that again... fun....

Thanks for listening (reading)

Also, we played a Susan Tedeshi version of Hurts so Bad.... Wow... the vocalist (my wife) nailed it.... We also did a Wynonna version of Burnin Love.... that went over very well too... ok I'll stop....

Archived