Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boss VE-20 Vocal Processors

CEB

Does anyone use one? Do they work as well as the propaganda says?

Can you totally control the mix between the auto harmonies and the original voice? How easy is it to change keys on the harmonizers.

Thanks

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOL18Dhgvjo&feature=related

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• 1 month later...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to know too. This seems like it'd be bad ass to harmonize my melodica plus give me some reverb, but it is a little pricy to be buying on a whim. Nobody locally carries it.

Did you see that little Thrash/Death Metal chick in the video. The harmonizer magically sprouted her a pair of 10 lb testicles and enough body hair to put that dude in Barbarella to shame.

I bought it. I like it. It isn't perfect but for the price I thought it does well. I like the preamp feature and the reverb when used sparingly. The harmonizers are nice but the auto tune feature ( even the soft auto tune ) makes it sound a somewhat mechanical. But overall I would buy it again. I have had a lot of fun out of it.

I've used it live to do multi-part harmony while singing low roots behind additional real harmonies on a few songs. I keep the fake harmonies pulled down in the mix. I have played with this to try to create a wall of vocal sound. I set and store the individual harmony levels in the User programmable presets. You have to also manually select the key. It will not set the key based on an instrument feed. I don't use the harmonizer a lot because now I play with a single band that has 4 strong voices. Before I was playing in a jam band that consisted of some strong players but was short on vocal talent. I played with with it a lot when I was still gigging with them.

I don't think I would do any serious recording with it. But like I said I have had more than $250 worth of fun out of this toy.

PS I think it may work great with a melodica.

I've used Digitech Vocalist series harmonizers since they first came out. TC Helicon is probably the most popular these days. I've learned a lot about how to get great results out of a hamonizer, and what to look for when selecting one. A couple of things:

There are numerous companies that make them now, and from what I've experienced, if you cannot feed the harmonizer midi information for the correct key and scale, you will be disappointed in the results. In the case of Digitechs auto processing software (Music IQ) it not bad, but its not 100% accurate, it can't be. How does a harmonizer know if you are using a major or minor scale? Short answer....it doesn't. You have to give it that information or the unit will make its best guess.

From what I can see on the Boss unit, the adv says to just plug a mic in and sing. I haven't checked to see if it has a midi interface as I get ready to post this, but if there is not a way to provide the scale you are using and when you want chords to change, don't waste your money.

cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

There is no midi jack on the unit. You have to enter the key into it which includes major or minor key. But won't handle key changes. You would have to manually change it with right edit button or go to another user programmed preset.

I bought it mostly as a toy to play around with. Street price is about $250.

You shouldn't have to worry about key changes, a major scale is a major scale. (Two whole steps and a half step, and so on). Same with a basic minor scale. If/when you get into different types and variations of scales, providing the correct chord changes is mission critical. Also, WHEN you change chords and what you change them to is important or you won't get good results.

I use a separate track on all my sequences to provide the correct chord information to my Digitech Vocalist Pro. (a rack based usit. Its Digitechs top of the line.) There is a slight amount of latency when using Midi, so I make sure that my Midi chords anticipate when the harmonizer must change throughout the song. Its not difficult to do, but it does take some time for each song. After I've been doing it for so many years, its not anymore time consuming than learning a music part and recording it into my sequences. The results are excellent.

As far as how to balance individual voices, there are four separate outputs on the unit I have and they can be plugged into a mixer for separate control. It is also possible to do that just using two outputs within each vocal style you select, but using the 4 separate outputs is the easiest and will work with any vocal style pattern you use during your show.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived