Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP, George.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i never thought i'd be so effected by this....i mean, i knew it was gonna happen someday. i got a huge lump in my throat when i saw the thread title "RIP,George" sitting there on the top of the page. this is truly a sad day in music. R.I.P. George SactoG
0096 2251 2110 8105

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [QB]You'd think by now we'd have cured cancer. Fuck. QB][/quote] We lost my mother-in-law, with whom I was very close, 1 year and a week ago to a brain tumor at age 59, nearly the same age as George. My wife and our family cared for her in our home for the first 13 of the 14 months she survived following surgery. It was a gleoblastoma, which I suspect it was the same type of tumor as Harrison's (Texas Rangers skipper Johnny Oates was recently diagnosed with the same type of tumor). I can tell you first hand that it's an unimaginable way to live for someone in a vital, fulfilling phase of their life. The grace with which my mother in law handled her illness is a lasting legacy for me and my family. I trust Harrison lived his last year with immense dignity as well. It would surely feel like a long, cold, lonely winter is upon us without the warmth of George's music. George has always been, and will always remain, fab.

Very sad. He was a classy/non-flashy star. I just hope the suffering was minimum. I will always remember being at a party back in '86, "Something" was on the turntable and I just started dancing with the most beautiful woman there. Ended up living with her for the next year. Thanks for everything, George. R.I.P. -David R.
-David R.

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]Frick. You'd think by now we'd have cured cancer. Fuck. .. and it's a dark gloomy day outside.[/b][/quote] Weird, Chip, it's not gloomy here in Atlanta at all, it's nice and bright and sunny. You ought to drive over, maybe it'll cheer you up. I've been pretty silent ever since the stories started coming out that George was bad off because... quite frankly, I've been at a loss for words. Some of you may know that I had the pleasure of meeting George and Olivia (as well as Ringo) in London in 1987. It was quite a surprise and I really had no idea what to expect - but I was blown away by him. He was just a down to earth, warm, funny guy who was obviously very much in love with music and with things spiritual. At that time, he seemed to have really come to grips with the effect the Beatles had on people. He'd been bitter about it for awhile, he said, because their private lives had been taken away from them, but he said the bottom line was that the Beatles' music made a lot of people very, very happy. A few weeks ago, I had a dream that I was back in England and that I ran into George again. In the dream, he looked just like he had when I'd met him - very healthy and handsome. He took me around his garden. I'm into gardening too so we talked a lot about the garden, all of the wildlife that lived there and it was a great day. "It's all so beautiful," George said, "And the thing is... I'm not quite ready to give it all up yet." Then I woke up, feeling profoundly sad. Then all the stories started coming in... and now he really is gone. George, I hope your garden up there is more beautiful than any you could have imagined. --Lee [ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Lee Flier ]

[quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b]There are places I remember All my life though some have changed A little piece of my childhood died today. In my life I loved them all[/b][/quote] Funny you should mention "In my life". It's actually a Lennon song, Lennon wrote and sang it on Rubber Soul...but Harrison performed it several times live. I saw him perform it live in '74. Adding his typical spiritual twist, he ended it with: "In my life, I love God more"...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Something is the first song in my memory that ever moved me. I was to young to know who it was or what it was I dont think I could even speak yet. I just loved that song that melody still haunts me, To this day it still does. George Harrison among others are responsible for my life in music. He is missed. Rest in peace sweet brother in music we will all sing your song.

Cheers,

La Vida Musica

Copa Capri Recorders

Hollyhood Productions

I spent last night burning a 'George Harrison memorial compilation CD' from the various cd's, vhs', vinyl, bootlegs that I own. I enjoy making these 'reconstituted' CD's. Here's the songlist: It dont come easy - Bangladesh Here comes the sun (w/Paul Simon) - SNL 25 anniv. Beware of darkness - Bangladesh If not for you - Dark Horse Greatest hits Taxman (w/ Eric Clapton) - Live in Japan bootleg My Back Pages - Bob Dylan 30th anniv. (bobfest) Apple Scruffs - All things must pass (remastered) Homeward Bound (w/Paul Simon) - SNL 25 anniv. My Sweet Lord - All Things Must Pass What is life? - Greatest Hits When we was fab - Greatest Hits Got my mind set on you - Cloud 9 Give me love (peace on earth) - Dark Horse hits All things must Pass - Beatles anthology 3 End of the line - Wilburys Matt [ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Hippie ]
In two days, it won't matter.

I know some of you younger players may be wondering why George Harrison's death is such a big deal to so many pros(& fans). It's difficult to convey the depth of the Beatles' impact & influence to someone who didn't experience it firsthand. After the Fab Four teen-idol thing quieted down and they hooked up with George Martin,something happened that nobody expected. They became the band to watch. Elvis & Sinatra were handed their walking papers. Most major acts wouldn't release until after the Beatles did. At one point it seemed the entire music industry was following in their wake. Even the Stones,who had already established themselves on their own merits,took their place in the Beatles wannabe line. It has been reported that the rift between Jagger/Richards & Brian Jones was a direct result of that strategy. After hearing Sgt.Peppers,the Jefferson Airplane went back to work on their already finished "After Bathing at Baxters" because it just wasn't good enough. This wasn't chart dominance. It was artistic leadership. These guys were in the unique position of having uncharted territory in front of them,an almost unlimited audience behind them,and no one to hold them back. They took the ball and ran anywhere they wanted to with it until they couldn't run any more. The music biz couldn't pump out bands fast enough to fill all the genres that the Beatles opened up. No one band has done what they did before & it's not likely that any one band will again. So when you get up tomorrow and go to work in your studios...when you see popular music as this impossibly huge polyglot mass of increasingly fragmented segments(pop,rock, prog rock,country,alt country,r&b,electronica,ambient,new age,world,etc)...when(despite the furious internal pace)you get a feeling that popular music seems to be losing momentum...when it seems that all the constant change in this business has added up to no change whatsoever...well you'll be right about all those things. Our profession as it exists today was created by the Beatles and hasn't fundamentally changed since their demise. You see,as far as popular music is concerned,the Beatles weren't the Fab Four...they were the big bang. later, Mike [ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: coolhouse ] [ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: coolhouse ]

[quote]You see,as far as popular music is concerned,the Beatles weren't the Fab Four...they were the big bang.[/quote] I have to agree with this. The Beatles were the reason I started playing guitar in 1964 and after so many years i still love listening to George Harrison's unique style. He created many of the greatest arrangements ever written for the guitar and he was a pioneer. I recently had a chance to relive all my enjoyment of the Beatle music through my sons who discovered their music and love it. Seeing the pleasure that this music gives to a young child makes you realise how universal their music is and how powerful music can be. I'll always be grateful to George Harrison for the enjoyment he gave me and my family. [ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: gtrmac@hotmail.com ]

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

[quote]Originally posted by coolhouse: [b]I know some of you younger players may be wondering why George Harrison's death is such a big deal to so many pros(& fans)...[/b][/quote] That was one of the best pieces of literature that I have seen on this board so far. Thanks, Coolhouse. -Danny

Grace, Peace, V, and Hz,

Danny

I had a nice epiphany today, playing my strat along with a track (waiting for ideas). Suddenly I visualized how to play George's solo from "Got to Get You into My Life". 2 bars of intro droning. [b]A 2-bar solo![/b] Climax of the song. Like a bolt from the great beyond. I highly recommend playing this solo for yourself. It's great therapy. God speed, George. John

[quote]Originally posted by pokeefe777@msn.com: [b] May you be in heaven, George, a half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. [/b][/quote] That line, Phil, is that a quote from someone or did you just write it or is it a saying or something?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

[quote]Originally posted by KHAN: [b]If I had some more time to spend, Then I guess I'd be with you my friend. God speed.[/b][/quote] Same question, KHAN... is that a lyric or did you make that up? Some good stuff on this forum! RIP, George. You were one of the good guys.

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

[quote]Originally posted by LiveMusic: [b] That line, Phil, is that a quote from someone or did you just write it or is it a saying or something?[/b][/quote] Ted and Lee are correct - it's just one of many old Irish sayings / blessings / proverbs / drinking toasts: This one, oftentimes attributed to St. Patrick, frequently has that line appended to the end of it: Go n-éirí an bóthar leat Go raibh an ghaoth go brách ag do chúl Go lonraí an ghrian go te ar d'aghaidh Go dtite an bháisteach go mín ar do pháirceanna Agus go mbuailimid le chéile arís, Go gcoinní Dia i mbos A láimhe thú. May the road rise to meet you May the wind be always at your back May the sun shine warm upon your face, The rains fall soft upon your fields And until we meet again May God hold you in the hollow of His hand ...and may you be in heaven a half an hour before the devil knows you're dead! You have to understand the Irish to "get it" I guess... We Irish, by nature, tend to be fairly religious, and yet somewhat irreverent at the same time. Kinda hard to explain. But that kind of explains why something so tongue in cheek / irreverent is placed after a much respected / loved saying from the Patron Saint of the Emerald Isle. Sláinte! Phil O'Keefe (resident Mick) Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

George Harrison, Keith Moon, Jimi Hendrix, John Lennon, Janis Joplin, Jaco Pastorius, Miles Davis... A small part of the house band in Heaven. God is sitting in the audience, saying, "I may be all-loving, omnipotent, and omniscient, but shit, those motherfuckers can PLAY!" God bless and keep you, George, for the music you have given the world.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

A spot of levity about the prior post... Jerry Garcia dies and finds himself in a big room cluttered with gear. John Lennon walks in, says "Hi Jerry", and picks up a guitar. So do Jimi and Duane. Berry Oakley and Jaco pick up basses. Morrison and Janis walk over to a couple of mics. Jerry says "WOW, I must be in HEAVEN". Lennon looks at him and shakes his head sadly. Just then, Karen Carpenter walks in, sits down at the drums, and says, "Okay, everyone, 'Close to You' on four"...

Oh c'mon man, it's a JOKE... As a matter of fact on this very forum, there was a thread about "guilty pleasures", you know, stuff you like that most people think is uncool...and if I recall correctly, an overwhelming winner was Karen Carpenter. Search way back in the archives. You'll find it. [ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Tedster ]

Archived