Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Funktastic

reidmc

You'll want to check the players, but if you see "A Christian McBride Situation" advertised for a local venue definitely check it out. He pulls folks outside his current bands together for some unique gigs, and tonight in Mpls it was Christian, Patrice Rushen, Ron Blake and two guys scratching and playing drum loops, one of whom was DJ Logic. Open funk jams over three or four different rhythm patterns plus In a Sentimental Mood and a funked-up Caravan. Patrice Rushen was spectacular on acoustic piano and a couple of Yamaha boards for clavinet, Rhodes and some string/orchestral pads. McBride played electric bass for most of the gig and was extraordinary (as usual, though I've never heard him play this much electric.) Double-bill with Maceo Parker, whose rhythm section is amazing. Very good keyboard player on the band, too, on what looked like a Yamaha for acoustic piano and EPs, and a small Nord for organs. An hour later my head is still bobbing up and down.
"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You'll want to check the players, but if you see "A Christian McBride Situation" advertised for a local venue definitely check it out. He pulls folks outside his current bands together for some unique gigs, and tonight in Mpls it was Christian, Patrice Rushen, Ron Blake and two guys scratching and playing drum loops, one of whom was DJ Logic. Open funk jams over three or four different rhythm patterns plus In a Sentimental Mood and a funked-up Caravan. Patrice Rushen was spectacular on acoustic piano and a couple of Yamaha boards for clavinet, Rhodes and some string/orchestral pads. McBride played electric bass for most of the gig and was extraordinary (as usual, though I've never heard him play this much electric.) Double-bill with Maceo Parker, whose rhythm section is amazing. Very good keyboard player on the band, too, on what looked like a Yamaha for acoustic piano and EPs, and a small Nord for organs. An hour later my head is still bobbing up and down.

Back in 1989, my little high school jazz trio made it (somehow) to the Downbeat Magazine Musicfest finals in Philly.

Christian McBride was "discovered" there and was picked up by the band Free Flight (Mike Garson from Bowie's band on keys).

He definitely stole the show and was the highlight of the festival.

From Allaboutjazz:

"Christian McBride was born on May 31, 1972 in Philadelphia. Electric bass was Christian's first instrument, which he began playing at age 9, followed by acoustic bass two years later. His first mentors on the instrument were his father, Lee Smith (a renowned bassist in Philly) and his great uncle, Howard Cooper (a disciple of the jazz avant-garde). While intensely studying classical music, Christian's love for jazz also blossomed. Upon his 1989 graduation from Philadelphia's fertile High School for the Creative and Performing Arts (C.A.P.A.), Christian was awarded a partial scholarship to attend the world-renowned Juilliard School in New York City to study with the legendary bassist, Homer Mensch. That summer, before making the move to the Big Apple, the already in-demand bassist got his first taste of touring going to Europe with the Philadelphia Youth Orchestra, and traveling the U.S. with the classical jazz fusion group, Free Flight."

Archived