Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

'In the Flesh' - anyone identify the sound?

Marillo

In the intro to this song (about 40-ish seconds in) there's a sort of flangey/filter-opening kind of sound which I just can't identify. There are Hammond sweeps going on as well so it's hard to pick out, but it's definitely there.

Anyone know what this is/how it's done?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what he used on The Wall :

The Wall (1979)

Hammond B-3 & C-3 Organs /with Leslie 122 Cabinet

SCI Prophet V Synthesizer

Yamaha C-7 Acoustic Baby Grand Piano

Rhodes Stage 73/88 Mark I Electric Piano

Farfisa Accordion

So i guess Jim's right, it has to be the Prophet 5.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

If they would have used more Farfisa accordion and recorded a few more polkas Pink Floyd would have more appeal to me.
"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

If they would have used more Farfisa accordion and recorded a few more polkas Pink Floyd would have more appeal to me.

Yeah... umm... thanks for the input, Reid. :facepalm:

The sound you're hearing is an ostinato pattern played on the Rhodes through various outboard gear... I'd have to dig through my old notes to remember what fx/settings I used at the time I was doing the Classic Albums Live gig.

Hm...ok... :facepalm:

The sound you're hearing is an ostinato pattern played on the Rhodes through various outboard gear... I'd have to dig through my old notes to remember what fx/settings I used at the time I was doing the Classic Albums Live gig.

And Sven, a rhodes, huh? interesting...I was invited to one of those Classic Albums bands a few months ago here in Florida, too bad i don't have the time nor the gear i want right now.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I actually get a great approximation of that sound using my FantomXr. I don't use an ep-based sound, but it really nails it and cuts through a very dense, meaty electric guitar.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Like Tony, I also have a great "approximation" from my Roland module (V-Synth XT). Mine's more of a buzzy saw lead with portamento which I sweep between root and fifthon each chord. But after hearing that youtube clip, you definitely hear a random arpegiator or sample and hold type of thing going on.

Either way, that sound is not meant to be omnipresent, but more of a texture behind the guitars I find.

As for Sven, are you sure that rhodes through outboard gear isn't the comping during the vocals that you're referring to?

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

Archived