Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which keyboard

I am looking for another Keyboard, I have a Yamaha PSRE303 I have had for some time, I played Organ mainly for Years but now I am playing Bass and Keyboard in a Band.I have been looking on ebay etc for a Keyboard in the £150-£200 region but in the Yamaha Stable there are so many different Letterings. Does any one know what they mean so that I Can look for a Keyboard without easy play or tuition features.That has a specification suitable for a Band Player, including midi and a good range of voices.

every time I see one on ebay I have to look up the spec to see if its any use. Can someone suggest a keyboard

Mike

Mike

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the Keyboard Corner.

Don't have any Yamaha myself, but generally the boards in the Motif series are more the pro level boards (useful in a band, instead of auto-players for home play). They have made the Motif series for some considerable time, so some of the older units should be moderately priced.

If more in the Stage Piano (30 patches instead of 500, more focused on piano, elect piano, a few other base patches), the CP line like the CP33, CP200, CP250, CP300.

Hopefully, some of the members who use Yamaha will add to the thread with more exact model numbers.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Any reason why it has to be yamaha? They're great keyboards, but if you broaden your selection criteria you'll have more choices in your price range. The "big 3" people usually refer to are Roland, Yamaha, and Korg. I'd also consider Kurzweil and Alesis. All of these have pro level keyboards, and as mentioned previously, some of the older models could be in your price range.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Any reason why it has to be yamaha? They're great keyboards, but if you broaden your selection criteria you'll have more choices in your price range.

+1 Don't limit yourself to one brand.

I'd also consider Kurzweil and Alesis. All of these have pro level keyboards, and as mentioned previously, some of the older models could be in your price range.

Yes, but keep in mind it's getting harder to find parts for those older keyboards. Some keyboard service centers won't repair Alesis or Kurzweil.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Does any one know what they mean so that I Can look for a Keyboard without easy play or tuition features.

What exactly are "tuition features?" Is a college degree necessary?

:laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Does any one know what they mean so that I Can look for a Keyboard without easy play or tuition features.

What exactly are "tuition features?" Is a college degree necessary?

I believe he means the learn-to-play stuff on the lower-end arranger keyboards.

To the OP: I don't think you'll find any Yamaha keyboards in that kind of price range with the kind of thing you're looking for. I teach kids on those keyboards, and that's kind of the target market for those machines. You sound like you're looking for something in their synthesizer range, rather than their "portable keyboard" range - maybe check out the MM6 or similar?

You can compare the features of different models on Yamaha's website - here. And check out other companies' stuff, as others have said.

Good luck!

EDIT: If you're looking on eBay, the above about pricing obviously doesn't apply, but you might still find it easier to use the website to identify the model you're looking for so you know where to place your bids.

Thanks everyone for your help, I will look around at other makes, my son is a professional musician,he has a Roland Piano and has just bought a Kurzweil keyboard to replace his Yamaha he has had for years. but I havent been able to try it as it lives in the Band Van

I suppose I think if part of the cost is for easy play tuition features,the money is better spent for me,on other things

Thanks Again Chaps

Mike

Mike

Mike check this out (this isn't my listing)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yamaha-MM6-synthesizer-keyboard-workstation-/280683405344?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Pro_Audio_Synthesisers_CV&hash=item415a08e020

(see, you can find a Lancashire lad helping a Yorkshire lad out!)

Gig rig: Motif XF8,Roland A37~laptop,Prophet 08,Yam WX5~VL70m.

Studio: V-Synth GT,Korg DW8000,A33,Blofeld,N1R,KS Rack,too many VSTs

Freefall www.f-music.co.uk

Archived