Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond pedals preferences for gigging?

Aidan

OK, so I'm currently looking at a good deal on a traditional 25-note pedal board for the XK series. It comes with a wheeled case for gigging, but I'm concerned that I'm going to find them too big and bulky to haul about regularly. So I'm wondering whether the XPK20 spinet board might be a better option for me - taking up less space in my studio, too.

So, Hammond and other serious organ users, lend me your ears thoughts on your own preferences, please...

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if I qualify as "serious" but I'll give it a go anyways...

I'd say a 20-note is a great compromise if you plan on taking it on gigs. My own homemade midi pedalboard is 25-note and sometimes I think of turning it into a 20-note. Actually I'm even thinking of a one-octave one, F-to-F. I would make sure that you can live with the short pedals of the xkp-200 though. Besides making heel and toe technique difficult or impossible, this however has the advantage that you don't need a special bench like for a "regular" 25-note.

martin

"Show me all the blueprints. I'm serious now, show me all the blueprints."

My homemade instruments

Aidan, I have two sets of pedals.

1) Pedals from a B3 organ, a midi header that attaches to it

2) XPK 200 pedals

I take the xpk200 pedals to almost every gig. On the "bigger" gigs I'll take the B3 pedals but they're really bulky.

I had the Roland PK5 pedals but I didn't like them as much as the Hammond ones.

I bring the xpk pedals to almost every gig. They're built really well and solid. There's even a place to put the expression pedal so it doesn't creep anywhere. That can be a good and bad thing - it's one more thing to screw in at the gig.

You can see me thumping away here :

[video:youtube]

and

I think Hammond is releasing "new" pedals for the sk1 (I thought I saw it in an ad somewhere?) but I think it's non radiating. If it's full pedals, I'd rather have radiating pedals.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

They have built the 3300W for some time but my understanding is the speaker is not available in the US.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I've decided that I'm gonna find the full-size board unwieldy for regular gigging so will probably look at the XPK200 or the L version when it comes out. But as I don't play classical heel-toe technique anyway, possibly the more compact version will do me. eBay searches duly saved :)

Supplementary question, gentlemen: If I was using my XK3 to control my Motif rack, could I use these pedals to trigger external sounds, e.g. a bass guitar?

Archived