Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which of the two is more different than the DSI sound?

zahush76

I want to add a monosynth to my setup, for better basses\low end then what i have now.

I'm working with cubase 5, a bunch of great vst's and my PolyEvolver.

While all of those give me great versatility and options, i still feel i lack some really good low end, and a more distinct analog timbre.

There are numerous threads about Oberheim SEM vs Moog Phatty. I know all the pros and cons, differences in features etc.

What i'm trying to find out - since i have the PolyEvolver which gives me the DSI flavour - is which of the two is more different in timbre and sound to the dsi, and which is closer.

I've listened to demos and i got a bit confused. There are certain settings on the phatty and SEM that sometimes remind me of sounds i can accomplish on the PEK. Beyond that - each of the two can go in different directions, of course. I'm wondering about the basic osc + filter+ some eg on each, and which of the two can really give me something considerably different in flavour than the dsi.

As for complexity - i don't mind too much, because: 1) I want to use it mainly for bass sound (maybe a lead here and there). 2) I'll probably get a moog MP-201 that can give me 4 extra lfo's and midi sync - or the cp-251. Both can turn each of the synths to more versatile machines. 3) The PEK and vst's like reaktor give me all the complexity i can ask for, with lots of lfo's, eg's, extensive modulation routings etc.

So it comes down to which of the two has a better low end - and which is more different than the dsi sound.

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moog. Hands down. The newer crop of DSIs seem thin to me. The Oberheims are bold, but I haven't heard the new SEM. The Phatty is, well, fat. My bass player is using an LP through an Ampeg SVT 4-10 cabinet and it is absolutely earth shaking. Very inspiring to play.

The OP-X plug is cheap enough...you may want to experiment with it before making a commitment.

Strictly my own opinion.

The DSI stuff is probably not as phat as old synths but to be honest I think some of the patches I've programmed myself on the PolyEvolver are damn close to the Oberheim 4 voice sounds from Zawinul or the Arp ProSoloist sounds... The DSI stuff is quite similar to the Oberheim Matrix 12 I have in some ways too... though perhaps a tad thinner like said due to the DCOs rather than VCOs...

Its a mistake to write off DSI based on the general character of the presets (as I have done in the past) because its all about rolling your own. The main problem I have is the terrible encoders... :(

More to the OPs original point, I don't think the DSI stuff is particularly Moogy sounding... which to me is a good thing as I have a Voyager and Minimoog here anyway.. :D

Another option to consider is a sort of combination. This guy here is using a sem pro combined with a moog mf-101 (24db moog filter) to get the best of both worlds. If he wants - this system can sound like an oberheim - or more moogish like so . And i believe that this moogerfooger isn't too expensive.

Depends on what you want to pay. The Moog LP is good but the Moog Voyager is even better... Do you want a rack or board?

If Rack then you could opt for a Slim Phatty or Voyager RME.

Still though--I wouldn't give up on the PEK just yet. I suggest rolling up your sleeves and really start programming that baby--you can get some really Phat sounds from it. Perhaps Phat enough for your tastes...

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I don't need an extra keyboard. This is strictly in a home studio context.

The voyager rme is very well out of my $$ range at the moment. It costs 3 times the price of a slim phatty, and about twice the price of a pro sem.

Hmm. OK. Sorry I "Assumed".

:)

Nothing to be sorry about.

Btw, i experienced last night with the PEK's delay to create various flavours of chorus. That - plus other "tricks", can really thicken the sound.

But even so - i think the basic DCO plus the filter - isn't the phattest around...

And vice versa - some of the phattest synths aren't as versatile and inpiring as the PEK.

I'd love to have the RME, but it's out of my price range. Most of my money right now is for upgrading the nord stage to the Kronos. And if moog - than i guess the phatty is better than nothing...

Archived