Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Assumption Junction

whitefang

We make assumptions on this forum. Like, you need to have a fat, hollow bodied guitar to play jazz, or blues. Or you cant play rock music on an acoustic guitar. In spite of the fact there are several jazz and blues players who use solid bodies, or that there are a good number of rock classics with acoustic guitar parts in them. But there are also assumptions about who listens to what kind of music based on nothing more than clothing and hairstyle or occupation or whatever.

You might have gotten away with some of that back, say, in the 50s. It was a sure bet that the guy with the waterfall hair and the DA wearing jeans and a leather jacket listened to Gene Vincent and Johnny Ace. And surely the dorky looking twerp with the glasses still dug Perry Como and Patti Page. But that should have only lasted until it turned out the dorky looking twerp with the glasses was Buddy Holly.

In the 60s it continued. The hipsters with the long hair and funny clothes liked that hippie crap while the clean cut kids bopped to the 1910 Fruit gum Co. or the Cowsills. But THAT wasnt necessarily so. But still, assumptions are made. You really cant be sure the white kid with the backward hat digs rap or death metal. But my money is on people assuming its rap or hip-hop. Ive known black guys who liked the Beatles or Dylan(HENDRIX was a Dylan freak) and white guys who only listened to Motown. Hell, I even thought my Mother liked only the Big Band stars and knew of no other type of jazz until she told me, Dont you DARE turn that down. Thats Dexter Gordon!

I recently told you all about my brothers death. Now, HE was often a victim of assumption, musically. I can tell you with certainty that he was an old school rocknroller. That old Seger tune, Old Time Rock and Roll could have been his anthem. But you see, he made his living (sporadically) as a truck driver. But, whenever someone he met in one of them 24 hour diners he hung out in, or if he was at somebodys house and the fact that he was a truck driver came out, they would do him a favor by beelining it to the juke box or radio to put on some country music. He HATED country music! Especially country tunes about truck drivers! And subsequentially, he had little use for Burt Reynolds, whose movies helped perpetuate this assumption.

It even happened to me once. I always liked classical music, but it wasnt until I was about 25-26 years old that I started bothering to learn who composed what and which orchestra was playing what under whose baton and so forth. So I started buying albums. Well, one day I was listening to Beethovens Emperor Concerto when a friend of mine happened by. When he entered my house, he stopped in his tracks and listened a bit. What the fuck are you listening to? he asked. So I told him. Then he asked when I started listening to that stuff. So I explained as I did at the start of this paragraph. So he sat down for a minute, said it sounded OK, I guess, then said he might as well be off. But you just GOT here, I said. What did you come here about, anyway? I asked. He said, Well, I just got a bag of some really good shit, and thought youd like to try some (note: Whitefang neither encourages or endorses the use of controlled substances. This disclaimer is made strictly for legal reasons. ;)). Fire it up, brother! I exclaimed. What made you think I wouldnt be interested? Well, he said, Youre listening to classical music now and all

!!?!

Movies and television have also promoted the assumption that classical music is largely favored by homosexuals, though the few gay guys I know have no interest in it. THEY prefer DISCO! (hear THAT, P90Jr.?) But my even saying THAT is an assumption. It may only be the gay men I know that do. To go a bit further, I used to be a wedding photographer. Often at receptions, Id spend time gabbing with the DJ. Especially if its a DJ Ive worked previous weddings with. One of them told me it was funny how the most surprising people make the most unusual requests. For instance, one DJ told me about how at one wedding, some fragile old man with a cane tapped up to him and asked if he had any Depeche Mode or Offspring. Or at another wedding some spike haired punk kid would request One Oclock Jump by Count Basie!

No, you really cant make musical assumptions, can you? Maybe you really ought not to try.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My GF accuses me of listening to anything as long as it isn't popular. My kids think I hate country music, and then can't believe that I'd know every word to Crazy, Charlie Pride, or Dixie Chicks or Lyle or have 5 hours of country on my ipod.

It isn't that I completely hate ALL popular music, there is just so much great music out there that is so much better in my opinion.

I love all kinds of music and all kinds of players.

It just goes to show that even those that know you best, might jump to conclusions...

You're preaching to the choir to an extent here mate. IMO the real problem is, to the extent that we are involved with the industry and commerce of music, that DOES operate on assumptions and appearances. There's a guitar you like, sounds great, plays fantastic but it looks like a guitar from one of THOSE bands. So are you going to take it on stage? are your bandmates going to hassle you about it? I'm still wondering what happened to all the Living Colour clones.

In some ways I have respect for dancefloor music. I've seen pics of some of the 'legends' of house, electronica etc. They look like they were on their way to do laundry. None of them have outrageous hairdos. No one cares what they wear, what brand of software they use.

There is a Japanese singer who is in the U.S. currently, can't recall the name offhand. She is touring with a guitarist on a promotional tour for a major product. Perfect body, waist-length aqua blue hair. And she's not real. The guitarist is an actual person but she is an animated character. Frankly I'm not really against that. If people can't get past their biases why should that be an obstacle to performers? You are still creating the music, which should be the point. Meanwhile we can all be perfect, visual genetic engineering.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Some assumptions are necessary in life. Even some judgments are needed for people to function. People need to be careful what they base their assumptions and judgments on, but unless you assume it's safe to step out of your house in the morning(not always true), it would be very hard to hold a job...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Well, I wrote the thread, but am also guilty of it, too.

Back in the late '80's, a company called Windham Hill put out a genre of music they called "New Age". You might recall...George Winston noodling sleepily on the piano, ENYA! All laid-back and easy going, somehow based on the ASSUMPTION that we Hippies from the '60's have settled down and relaxed and needed some music to do it by. That tripe bored me to the bottom of my bowels, and I don't bore easy.

"New Age"? Sounded like "Old Age" music to me. And THAT is an assumption!

Whitefang

Every word you speak is truth. I've actually even had it happen to me, and I'm certainly guilty of making assumptions of others. For a while I played in R&R (cover)bands, sometimes we had to play the crossover thing (depending on what dive bar we were playing), then for a while a "went solo" and only played classical guitar. I still listened to other music....it didn't mean that I didn't like rock and roll anymore....hell, I was still a closet R&R player....but sometime folks would assume that they only thing I played or listened to was Bach or Tarrega or some other classical music. They were surprised if I could pick up the lead in "Wish You Were Here" or something.....it's really kind of funny, but it's human nature. It's far less harmful, I guess, than making other assumptions about the person based on appearance....although they unfortunately probably go hand-in-hand.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

I'm a black guy...and while I DO enjoy some rap and Motown, most of my collection is rock/metal, jazz and New Wave/techno. And you'll find generous helpings of classical, blues, ska, and other genres as well.

One of my favorite music assumption moments of all time occured when I was in college, but home for the summer. I was coming back from a party LAAAAATE at night and I had my windows down, blasting JP's Screaming for Vengeance album (it was a commercial district- nobody to wake up). And when I stopped at the light, another car pulled up to my left, authors windows down, and the young WHITE man pumping some Public Enemy.

We looked at each other and we both started laughing our asses off.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Nah- I was coming back from Plano, and had reached that part of NW Hwy in Irving that used to be home to Dallas City Limits (which is now a gentleman's club).

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I am liable to come out with old rock and roll, country, country rock, rockabilly, blues, jazzy versions of all of the above...I don't really look the part of any genre like the duck tail and rolled up sleeves with Lucky Strikes, and I play from the heart for the most part... as for a homosexual preference to classical music, I must say I hear more involved with the jazz influence than I do with the classical...I'm not really into either although I listen for the good parts in all music...except rapp, hip hop, etc...I try, but I just can't get into it still...
Take care, Larryz

I'm a black guy...and while I DO enjoy some rap and Motown, most of my collection is rock/metal, jazz and New Wave/techno. And you'll find generous helpings of classical, blues, ska, and other genres as well.

One of my favorite music assumption moments of all time occured when I was in college, but home for the summer. I was coming back from a party LAAAAATE at night and I had my windows down, blasting JP's Screaming for Vengeance album (it was a commercial district- nobody to wake up). And when I stopped at the light, another car pulled up to my left, authors windows down, and the young WHITE man pumping some Public Enemy.

We looked at each other and we both started laughing our asses off.

Well, I can't top THAT. I love that story! The closest I can come to it is about the genuine surprise a black guy I worked with had when I was able to recite names of old bluesmen and early R&B groups. Thought maybe I cut my teeth on Pat Boone or something. He was also surprised that I was the only other person he knew, black OR white that remembered a cat named "Popcorn" Wiley.

And yes, d, the "bud" bud DID get into the Beethoven. More so with "The Planets".

Whitefang

Archived