Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oberheim SEM question

zahush76

Hi everyone.

I'm interested in one fo the new SEM models (either the midi to cv, or the pro model). I emailed tom and asked him:

1) Is it possible to sequence the SEM with cubase.

2) Is it possible to automate the SEM (the filter etc).

His answer was simply that he doesn't know anything about cubase (ehich i found amusing), and that the SEM responds to cv.

Since there's not really much info (if at all) on the Oberheim website, I wanted to ask you guys - wether it's someone who has one or someone that knows - if these things are possible with the SEM. I mean, it has a midi in, for starters.

What does that enable me to do? And to what extent?

Thanks

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the website:

Some of the features of the MIDI to CV Converter are:

Select MIDI channel, controller number and bend range

A second independent control bus allows velocity, controller data, or channel pressure to modulate either or both VCOs, the filter and the VCA

I'm not sure what you mean by automate, but it seems that you should have no trouble controlling it using MIDI messages from your sequencer.

From the website:

Some of the features of the MIDI to CV Converter are:

Select MIDI channel, controller number and bend range

A second independent control bus allows velocity, controller data, or channel pressure to modulate either or both VCOs, the filter and the VCA

I'm not sure what you mean by automate, but it seems that you should have no trouble controlling it using MIDI messages from your sequencer.

Thanks, but that leaves me where i started.

I also read this part. I don't fully understand what it means or how it answers my question.

It seems that all these midi to cv commands, relate to situations where you control the SEM from a midi keyboard. The commands are than, notes, pitch bend range, modulation etc.

I'm interested in knowing what happens if I connect the SEM's midi in to my computer's midi out, and then trying to control it with cubase. I'm asking about several possible functions:

1) First of all, can cubase sequence a midified SEM model? I'm not sure if it only can control one osc each time - or both of them. Can i tell the SEM what notes to play, using cubase? It's a simple yes or no.

2) Second - "automation" is when you use your DAW to send cc messages to the controled instrument, over time. For example, if i connect a dsi Tetra to my daw, i can have cubase control the Tetra's cutoff, resonance, attack, decay, sustain, release, and pretty much every function that can recieve cc midi commands. So what i'm asking is wether can i control the SEM in that fashion or not.

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

1) Definitely. Controls both oscillators. SEM doesn't know or care whether the note on messages are coming from Cubase or another keyboard.

2) Not sure but I doubt it. I'm guessing basics like volume, pitchbend and mod wheel only but again I'm guessing.

MIDI is MIDI. Doesn't matter what generates it. If your sequencer sends MIDI data that the SEM can deal with, it will deal with it. Pretty simple in that regard.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived