Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The 40 Most Influential Rock Solos Ever

Delta

Regarding Guitar Player's June cover article. Did any of you get anything out of this other than a few tidbits of info? Without getting into details I thought it was a great concept but- what a letdown!
"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a flawed concept if you ask me-I don't need to see the issue. Why don't they include the 40 most important definitions of where 'here' is too.

Seriously, maybe if they chose 10 or 20 top guitarists-I think they did an issue like that, '25 who shook the world' I think was the title-and ask THEM who would be on their list, maybe that would be cool.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

A feak'n letdown, indeed!

They listed Nirvana's, "Come As You Are" :facepalm:

Face it. They had no cover story. That article was deadline, filler material.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Gentlemen,

Personally I enjoyed the picks. I heard several that I haven't heard before so thanks for giving this old guy a broadened perspective. I have take issue with a few picks, so here they are. I disagree with the Kurt Cobain pick. I never thought he was much of a soloist, good writer though. Jimi Hendrix - Power to Love from Band of Gypsies, the opening of that song screams "Wowsa"! Jeff Beck - I Ain't Superstitious, great work throughout. And last but not least, Leslie West - Theme For An Imaginary Western, the pinched harmonic at the end of the first solo still sends chills of delight every time I hear it. Thanks for the forum guys.

I read the news today oh boy...

Wow! You've been a member since 2001 and this was your first post??? Thanks for coming out of the shadows! :D

Gentlemen,

Personally I enjoyed the picks. I heard several that I haven't heard before so thanks for giving this old guy a broadened perspective. I have take issue with a few picks, so here they are. I disagree with the Kurt Cobain pick. I never thought he was much of a soloist, good writer though. Jimi Hendrix - Power to Love from Band of Gypsies, the opening of that song screams "Wowsa"! Jeff Beck - I Ain't Superstitious, great work throughout. And last but not least, Leslie West - Theme For An Imaginary Western, the pinched harmonic at the end of the first solo still sends chills of delight every time I hear it. Thanks for the forum guys.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Wow! You've been a member since 2001 and this was your first post??? Thanks for coming out of the shadows! :D

Gentlemen,

Good eye, Rod/BIC !

[in his profile it says Rowens a postal inspector...I think there's a joke in here somewhere abt the speed of mail delivery...]

On point:

I haven't seen the article.

What was the criteria ?

Most covers of the tune in question ?

Most out-right cops in other solos ?

Most apparent imitations ?

d=halfnote

You know, it seems to me a list of "most influencial rock solos" would have to be largely conjecture. I mean, just WHAT did they influence...the course of music? Or just the way guitarists play?

And who determined those 40 WERE the "most influencial"? Was it a reader's poll, or a poll among established, well known guitarists?

The trouble with polls is that your poll results might rely on the answers of a limited number of people. You could try to take a poll on which was better in the '70's; "glam" rock or disco? So, you're doing this for a magazine article. You need the results for the issue two months from now. So you send out poll questionairs to 2,000 people, and 500 of those throw it out claiming, "I don't have time for this nonsense". Of the remaining 1500, 51% answer Disco. But among those replies, you have to allow that a certain percentage of them don't care for either, and answered as they did by mental coin toss. But your issue comes out claiming that a majority of people responding to your poll preferred Disco over "Glam" rock. So some might take it that Disco was BETTER. But 51% of 1500 is what? 755 people? Or 760? And this is out of a national population of 300 million!

Just HOW reliable is this poll anyway?

Recently, ABC had a program that supposedly "revealed" America's favorite movies. They presented them all by genre. At some point, for instance, Tom Bergeron would look into the camera and claim, "So when it comes to Horror Movies, YOU picked as YOUR favorite, "_______"! But, I don't recall ever being asked! Do you?

These are the reasons I pay little attention to polls of any sort. Election or otherwise. I suggest you use that article as bathroom tissue.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Apparently they compiled the list through a rigorous process of sitting around and arguing with each other. So this is basically a list of the 40 solos which were most influential on the staff of Guitar Player magazine. Ho hum.

No Bill Haley, no Alvin Lee, No Skunk Baxter, no Jeff Healey, no Keef, No Nuge, no George Harrison, NO IOMMI, NO JOHNNY WINTER, NO GARY MOORE, NO BUDDY GUY?!?!

The choices indicate the ages and influences of the judges....

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

No Duane, no Dicky, no Terry Kath, no Zappa, no Vai?

I wonder what skewed criteria is in place here....

If there is some nostalgic heart string that compels them to include Cobain at all costs, then they should have gone with a top 100! He might barely make that list with justification....

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Just for the record, the article did say "influential" solos.

I think it's fair to say that Cobain influenced an entire generation of players - not that it was a positive influence, because he encouraged people to basically put no effort into the craftsmanship of guitar playing and to just learn some power chords and make a bunch of noise, but it was an influence... :freak:

It be cool to hear what everyone most influential guitar solos were in the approximate year and order. These impressions stuck with me...

My Dad - Yesterday 75ish

My Grandma - Foggy Mountain Breakdown 76ish

Larry Corryell - Stiff Neck (My first solo 78)

Rick Emmet - Petite Etude 1981

Alex Lifeson - Limelight and La Villa Strangiato Exit Stage Left 1981

Eddie Van Halen - Eruption 1981

Miles Davis - Miles Runs the Voodoo Down 1981

Randy Rhodes - Live on King Biscuit Flower Hour 1981

Vangellis - Blade Runner 1982

George Lynch - Paris is Burning 1983

George Benson - Broadway 1983

Yngwie - Steeler 1983

Christopher Parkening - J.S. Bach Partitas and Sonatas particularly E maj 1984

George Lynch - Will the Sun Rise 1985

Steve Vai - Cutting Heads in Crossroads 1986

Toto - Fahrenheit Album 1987

Sanborn and Miller - Maputo Sunday Night Show 1988 (totally addicted)

Joe Satriani - Satch Boogie 1989

Guys, we weren't trying to "prove" what the 40 most influential rock guitar solos were using empirical data. :-)

Of course the choices were subjective, just like all of the opinions expressed by everyone on this forumincluding those saying that I and the other GP editors were "wrong" in our choices or for doing the story in general (which is certainly within your right to do).

And, man, you should have been around while we were arguing about which artists and solos to include. It was a long process that led to more than a few dust ups.

And speaking of long processes, anyone who imagines that doing a story of this type was easier than having one editor write a cover story about a single artist, or that we did it because we didn't have any other options that month (believe me, publicists constantly provide us with lots of options), is simply blissfully unaware of the realities of publishing a magazine.

Bellyache all you like, and throw all the punches you choose, just as long as you are enjoying yourselvesbecause we certainly are!

These lists are mostly for entertainment, aren't they? Of course, you might be inspired to check out a great solo you never heard before.

Sometimes lists are just a cheap way for magazines and newspapers to fill space (NOT saying that about you guys!!). But who in their right mind could consider them definitive?

Well for entertainment, why not expand the concept a little? the editors are probably a good source of information not known to the average reader-

how about the top 10 solos that were first takes? best solos by guitarists who were not original band members? something like that.

And, man, you should have been around while we were arguing about which artists and solos to include. It was a long process that led to more than a few dust ups.

Any film available ?

:laugh:

d=halfnote

Oh it's absolutely personal and vintage specific...

For instance, 1981 was a big year for me. I really got excited about the instrument and it became less of a "thing our family does" and more of a "thing I do differently than you".

Others here may think 1969 was big for them or 56. I wasn't around then...

Maybe you guys should take a poll! It certainly stirred a little hair here...

Of course the choices were subjective, just like all of the opinions expressed by everyone on this forumincluding those saying that I and the other GP editors were "wrong" in our choices or for doing the story in general (which is certainly within your right to do).

The top 10 solos that were first takes?

Man, I'd LOVE to see that list! May be some big surprises in it- and may be some obvious ones, too.

Alternatively, I'd LOVE to see a list of solos that took a huge number of takes (or were comprised of a large number of takes).

I love the recording process.

There is no "last guitar."

Well certainly an obvious one is Living Colour`s `Cult of Personality`. I think technically, most or all of David Gilmour`s solos are from a huge number of takes that he boils down to the best parts but, since only the best parts are recorded I`m not sure that qualifies.

Yow, come to think of it the CoP solo was entirely improvised-that could be another interesting list-but I`m not sure it was a first take.

It be cool to hear what everyone most influential guitar solos were in the approximate year and order. These impressions stuck with me...

My Dad - Yesterday 75ish

My Grandma - Foggy Mountain Breakdown 76ish

Larry Corryell - Stiff Neck (My first solo 78)

Rick Emmet - Petite Etude 1981

Alex Lifeson - Limelight and La Villa Strangiato Exit Stage Left 1981

Eddie Van Halen - Eruption 1981

Miles Davis - Miles Runs the Voodoo Down 1981

Randy Rhodes - Live on King Biscuit Flower Hour 1981

Vangellis - Blade Runner 1982

George Lynch - Paris is Burning 1983

George Benson - Broadway 1983

Yngwie - Steeler 1983

Christopher Parkening - J.S. Bach Partitas and Sonatas particularly E maj 1984

George Lynch - Will the Sun Rise 1985

Steve Vai - Cutting Heads in Crossroads 1986

Toto - Fahrenheit Album 1987

Sanborn and Miller - Maputo Sunday Night Show 1988 (totally addicted)

Joe Satriani - Satch Boogie 1989

Very few complaints here, but no Yngwie without Mr. Blackmore ("Highway Star" and "Burn" get my votes). But nice list - glad to see Satch on there.

I think technically, most or all of David Gilmour`s solos are from a huge number of takes that he boils down to the best parts but, since only the best parts are recorded I`m not sure that qualifies.

The story goes that he improvises a solo on a track then, mutes the track and improvises another solo on a new track. He'll do this several times. Then, he listens to each track and takes the parts he likes. Once he has all the parts he likes, in the right order, he "learns" the solo and records it on it's own as a new solo.

It's really just a way of writing memorable solos. A way to make sure that every part of a solo is the way he wants it to be.

The CoP solo was definitely improvised - Vern never plays it anywhere near the same way show to show.

Cool song, I hate the solo. BUT! Ugly Head is one of my all time favorites of all time, a real timeless favorite, forever!!!! :-)

I had recurring dreams of replacing Vernon...

Archived