Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So is anyone else liking The Cars Move Like This?

b3keys

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard Sad Song and liked it. I was never much of a Cars fan growing up, a bit too bubble gum for me. But now that I am older I have more appreciation for the song writing and the melodies. And keyboards are well-represented.

I won't be buying their albums, though.

Regards,

Joe

IF Ocasek walked in with this and then had Orr cut his part and vocal and added some really hot Eastman solos and then got Roy Thomas (or Mutt Lange who did Heartbreak City) involved to tighten things up it would be great.

It's a good throw back. The bad part: it sounds retro retro not future retro. If Rik O was 30 years younger this would sound more like the Gorillaz with Radiohead and Bowie's 'Outside' influences everywhere. Now it sounds like the Cars circa 1979. Timewarp.

I listened to Sad Song and it sounds suspiciously like.......The Cars!

I liked the Cars back when they were cranking out songs. Sure, somewhat of a punk/bubblegum group but their songs had a good beat most of the time, I liked the way the KB's were integrated usefully into their material.

Anyway, old people have to eat too! This material is better than 90% of the crap I hear on the radio these days. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I'll be the dissenting vote here. I want to like this. I really do. I really like The Cars.

But where's the hooks? Not one of these songs grab me. I've listened to them several times. As I said, I really want to like this. I went in listening to this thinking that I'd probably like it. But I'm not hearing melody hooks in the vocals, keyboards, whatever. I'm just not feeling this. Is this largely to do with the absence of Benjamin Orr?

I miss Roy Thomas Baker's production too, although if the songs had hooks, I would be okay with the production.

But again, give me some hooks. Even a few. Give me something to remember the song by. I can't remember a single song after several listens.

That's too bad. I can handle rehash, but if the album is just filler material, its not worth buying.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I've only had time for a first perusal. All in all, I kinda like it, but only because it is remisicent of the Cars of old. But I haven't had the time for a full objective listen.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

That reminds me of an off-the-cuff remark my aunt use to make when she owned a mfg plant and employed almost ALL women.

"On the sixth day God created woman, and on the seventh day God rested. And no one's rested since."

I'll bag out of here before I get in trouble. ;)

Cheers,

Mike T.

I haven't heard the new Cars album yet, but am I the only one who liked The New Cars? I only bring this up because Todd Rundgren has been severely maligned in the press (and on forums -- though not this one) for his stint with The Cars.

I felt the New Cars album was full of hooks and creative energy, and the live set was awesome as well. But then, I'm a HUGE Todd fan (and have met him in person twice, which reinforced my positive view of him).

If this new album with more of the original line-up (a full original line-up is of course impossible unless they rename the band The Zombies... uh, right, that name is taken), isn't delivering the hooks, then what is the point in "blaming" Todd for the last album apparently not doing as well as hoped?

Not to mention, some of the later Cars material from the 80's wasn't exactly the band at their best either. Most bands need some fresh blood now and then.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Orr died 12 years ago, so he is sadly not a part of the reunion.

I always loved his vocal on "Drive", my favorite Cars tune.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbTjzZzfR7w

i cant stand that song!! really not kidding at all. why would somebody make such a depressing song!! with such depressing patches..

And how in the world did they manage to make such depresing

patches.

I get new gear

by Mark Schmieder:

If this new album with more of the original line-up (a full original line-up is of course impossible unless they rename the band The Zombies... uh, right, that name is taken), isn't delivering the hooks, then what is the point in "blaming" Todd for the last album apparently not doing as well as hoped?

It could be that people expect to see as many original members that are still alive. Although Styx managed to pull it off. I like Todd too, but maybe the rest of the band decided to go back to the original line-up, cut a new CD, and tour. Nowhere to go but up. It sounds like the new album isn't all that great, but we'll see what happens.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yeah, maybe the new album is just to promote the tour and build up some excitement for it, with the main point being that the band wants to have fun doing a tour after so many years off.

The same could be said of Devo (mediocre album preceding a reunion tour)... though early reports are that their gigs are sloppy (maybe they have been too studio-oriented the past ten years or so and need a full tour to get back to their normal zany stage energy?).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 2 weeks later...

The album didn't really grab me at all. The place I felt it was the weakest was clearly and consistently the bass parts/playing. I think it was a big mistake to let Greg Hawkes do them - they're totally boring, and keep the songs from moving, IMO.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Archived