Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

patches for sale for playing covers

User_35092

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Not bad for only $35 compared to Kurzweil's Classic Keys expansion card for $300! Wonder how the sounds compare, anyone?

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Not bad for only $35 compared to Kurzweil's Classic Keys expansion card for $300! Wonder how the sounds compare, anyone?

Apples and Oranges; the Classic Keys card contained new sample sets as well as the programs. The Vintage Keys library is merely programs using the internal sound set of the Motif.

Not to knock the programming of those sets; they're great, and I own both of them, but the 80's set only gets you 80% of the way there for some patches if you're a real stickler for accuracy. If you're just casual about it, I'm sure they'll satisfy as is. (Note: this opinion is based on my ownership of the Motif ES version that I bought at least a couple of years ago; they may have been updated with newer editions.)

Yikes, how many times is that 80's library going to come up? Do a search -- you'll find several of us lost countless hours from that library's incompatibility with the MOTIF rack series. Not to mention the patch count is inflated in the marketing hype, and the few unique patches that are present are not very close to the original songs.

DCP's libs, on the other hand, are quite well-programmed -- especially his later versions, which are entirely new and not merely tweaks of the original MOTIF Classic libraries. Not only were they done from scratch, but they don't even have the same patch lists.

The closest you can get to the 80's sounds with a MOTIF ES will be to get DCP's Regenerator library for the PLG-150AN plug-in card (not available for the MOTIF XS), and augment that with the Vintage Keys library. I used this combination for MANY years.

The MOTIF XS forces you to give up the PLG-150AN card, but the improved Vintage Keys library for the XS series pretty much compensates for that. Dave also added some excellent synth basses to his XS version of the Pulse library (also at Keyfax).

Easy Sounds and Vengeance Sounds also have some good synth libraries for various Yamaha synths, but I found them better for originals than for covers; whereas Dave takes a similar approach to Kurzweil in going after specific songs and really nailing the sound.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

So, for $35, is the Vintage Keys package worth adding to my mix given I have an XS and NE3? Any particular keys this will add to my arsenal that will blow my socks off? If so, which sounds were the ones that made it worthwhile? Obviously not a huge amount of $$, but if ya'll could chime in on just a few sounds that make it a nice addition....I'll download it tonight, lol.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Considering you have the XS, it's a no-brainer. Dave programmed a lot of keyboards that get overlooked, such as Rhodes PianoBass, Elka Panther (combo organ), Moog Source, and quite a few other non-mainstream keys and synths that tend to get short shrift.

Also, the programming for Farfisa, minimoog, Rhodes, and other more common keyboards and synthesizers, is significantly better than the stock presets. And, as mentioned, Dave provides song-inspired patches vs. more generic ones.

I have delved deep into Dave's programming over the years, and have learned a lot from him. I have been able to take what I learn and apply it to other synths, so his libraries often serve as a good starting point when I need to program something on a new synth.

Correction: Rhodes PianoBass might be in his Pulse bass library; I sold my last MOTIF-derived instrument last year and no longer have direct references to the patch lists at hand.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Also, the "B's Knees" library has a couple of combo organs as well. I forget which ones he put in that one and which in Vintage Keys. I never used the B3's in "B's Knees" but did feel it was worth it for the extra combo organs. Might have been Vox Jaguar. I'm pretty sure Vintage Keys includes at least ONE rare combo organ, even if there are three combo organ patches in "B's Knees".

Yep, I have B's Knees. It does have a great Vox Jag and Elka....some cool B3's as well.
Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Archived