Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Connecticut Luthier?

Forrest Greene

Im hoping someone can recommend a guitar technician in the Connecticut area. Ideally, this would be someone in the Valley, between New Haven & Springfield / Northampton / Amherst, MA; even more ideally, someone in the Hartford area. I have a nice Epiphone electric & Takamine acoustic to care for, & would like the candidate to be certified or at least experienced with both makers.

Thanks in advance!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Better sever thy hand than be the crafter of some Unartly Thing ~~~ ~~ ~

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Seems like I heard of a Connecticut luthier, but he was sent back in time to King Arthur's court...I'm sorry man, I just had to. :) We have some east coasters on here, maybe some one will be able to help. Welcome aboard!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I believe pinkjimiphoton lives there...don't think he's a luthier, but he'll happily gut and reconfigure your pedals to the utmost in mad science! :D:taz:

Seriously though, he's a great guy and I'm sure knows someone to suggest.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

i'm near hartford, and worked in a repair shop for years doing everything from stringbasses to clarinets, from amps to synths to...

what do ya need done?

my bud chris varga just graduated from luthiery school (roberto ven school of luthierie or something like that) i could hook you up with him.

depending on what ya need, i may be able to do it for ya too...

and for a fellow gp forumite, it may cost ya a doobie, if that.

;)

i'm in manchester, maybe 10 minutes from hartford. pm me if ya wanna talk. peace.

in all honesty, you don't require a Luthier ....they build guitars...it shouldn't be difficult to find someone for general unkeep and setups...i'm in Canada so i don't know but i'd assume Guitar Center has a service dept?

Hi folks, thanks for the welcomes, replies, & kind offers. It was a good idea to check the manufacturers' sites. Gibson's Repair & Restoration Department responded with a link to a list of nationwide authorized warranty service centers arranged by state. Only two in all of Connecticut! Here's the address, for anyone making a similar search:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/WarrantyServiceInformation/

I agree, what I'm looking for would more properly be called a "guitar technician" ...especially since there's an electric as well as acoustic guitar involved... but that & the term "luthier" seem to be becoming widely conflated, so, y'know, wot th' heck. I guess that's the way the old language evolves.

Thanks again, everyone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Better sever thy hand than be the crafter of some Unartly Thing ~~~ ~~ ~

I call them luthier's too...or techs...or my guy...if a person builds guitars, he/she can usually fix'em...I wouldn't [fret] over the use of term Luthier...IMHO...
Take care, Larryz

Archived