Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Piano notation help

Cygnus64

I'm doing an arrangement that has a piano part that's similar to "Imagine". I'm wondering the best way to write it out. Here are 3 different measures. Which one do you think would be best? ( If it's #2 or 3, I would write "sustain" over the part). http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f183/KabalCD/example.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would use the first one, unless you mean the middle C to be played with L.H. (unnecessary for this passage), in which case I would use the third one. A warning, though: If you write the repeated middle C in the bass clef, the stems should be pointed upwards, since that would be the "upper part".

In case you use the first method but you really mean the thirds to be held, you could add "legato" or "with ped." as an additional direction.

I like #1. Looks cleaner. #2 makes me think of a not so smooth part and #3 would make me want to use left hand for the C notes. I'm not a pro in either playing or composing but #1 is easier to sight read for me.

Thanks for responding.

If you write the repeated middle C in the bass clef, the stems should be pointed upwards, since that would be the "upper part".

Definitely. I just did this quickly as an example.

In case you use the first method but you really mean the thirds to be held,

They are held on the recording I have. I tried to post a clip on Soundclick but I've been unable to upload anything there for weeks. "Legato" sounds like a good idea. :thu:

I like #1. Looks cleaner.

Also easier to do in Sibelius. My only concern is that this might be played be classical players who take everything literally. I think the "legato" marking should take care of that. Thanks for responding.

My teacher always asked me which one sounded the best and fit, then use it, the piece can be written wrong and just not sound right even if written right, one note can be off.

Classical players taking everything so literally? They certainly try hard to interpret the piece in the manner it was written and why it was written that way and what was going on for it to be written.

Archived