Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Key pressure and finger position: theory question

When you apply exactly the same pressure on different points of a real piano key (or a proper weighted MIDI keyboard), how does the finger position affect the loudness of the sound? Is there any online documentation describing all that lever/pivot stuff in plain English somewhere? Also what's the difference between a black key and a white key from that pov?

Thanks for any input on this.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on, where's the spirit of scientific curiosity? All this needs is the weighted keyboard in question, MIDI'd to a computer, MIDI-OX (shareware) to record the output velocities, a stack of pennies, a ruler (to control penny stack position), pencil, and paper.

That's how Aristotle would do it. Report back with your results.

Larry.

When you apply exactly the same pressure on different points of a real piano key (or a proper weighted MIDI keyboard), how does the finger position affect the loudness of the sound? Is there any online documentation describing all that lever/pivot stuff in plain English somewhere? Also what's the difference between a black key and a white key from that pov?

Thanks for any input on this.

JUST PLAY THE DAMN THING, & FORGET ABOUT HOW THEORITICAL IT ALL IS ! :deadhorse:

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Dear Posters

I know I shouldn't treat this thread as my personal Agony Aunt support network but I don't know who else to ask. It is clear that keyboard players tend to be the most talented of the musicians in any band. In light of this wonderful thread (which I've really enjoyed reading) I was wondering if you could explain why the other musicians often get more after show action and invited to all the cool parties? I am referring in particular to the hairy plank spankers and the mirror worshipping vocalists.

Yours ...

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Dear Posters

I know I shouldn't treat this thread as my personal Agony Aunt support network but I don't know who else to ask. It is clear that keyboard players tend to be the most talented of the musicians in any band. In light of this wonderful thread (which I've really enjoyed reading) I was wondering if you could explain why the other musicians often get more after show action and invited to all the cool parties? I am referring in particular to the hairy plank spankers and the mirror worshipping vocalists.

Yours ...

Because "action" is based on exposure, not talent.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I see ... it's all about what's on show.

How can we keyboard players get more of the "talent" on show to "expose" itself to us so that we get as much "action" as the ...

They just don't seem impressed with my working knowledge of midi velocities.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Archived