Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need guidance on finding the right keyboard stand setup

I've been looking at the keyboard stand threads here and various catalogs, still not sure how to get what I need:

1. Standing height (I'm not a tall guy)

2. Two tiers, with second tier holding small keyboard and maybe drum machine (something like this: deluxe 2nd tier

3. $200 or less

4. Probably not an x-stand, 'cause this board is full of horrorshow videos of failing x-stands.

5. Weight requirements are low end -- max. 45-50 lbs on the bottom, 20 or maybe 40 lbs on the top

Thanks for any suggestions . . .

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think in your case, an X-stand might not be so bad after all.

I use an X-stand with a second tier - and the thing is that if the second tier is sturdy enough and your bottom board is not too heavy, the 2nd will hold the X-stand together, if the locking mechanism would fail. That OnStage deluxe tier you're refering to looks more than sturdy enough.

But - if you, however plan on using the stand also without 2nd tier an X-stand might not be the best idea (if you're worried it will collapse).

That being said - I have a ProEl EL250 double braced X-stand with it's 2nd tier EL450 and it has served me fine for about 16 years - and the first 7 yrs or so it was the only stand I had for my 50 lbs Kurz PC88.

I also have a 3 tier Standtastic which is great, but has quite a large footprint (very deep), it has been staying at home for the last two years or so. It his however quite portable with the optional bag. I use the shorter 45" version, with extra tier option. High enough for me even when standing (I'm not very tall either).

Standtastic website, with videos

My latest stand is a Koenig & Meyer 18950 platform stand with 2nd tier. It is sturdy as hell! :) Might be out of your price range - about $200 in Europe, but since it's made in Germany it's probably more expensive in the US. The stand is great and everything is adjustable. Only cons are that the base stand is quite bulky and heavy (about 20 lbs), and that adjusting the height of the legs requires (IKEA type) Allen key. Everything else - height and angle of 2nd tier and width of the base are easily adjusted.

picture of the 18950 + 2nd tier

Description incl dimensions and weight (only metric system...)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

I've been looking at the keyboard stand threads here and various catalogs, still not sure how to get what I need:

1. Standing height (I'm not a tall guy)

2. Two tiers, with second tier holding small keyboard and maybe drum machine.

3. $200 or less.

4. Probably not an x-stand.

5. Weight requirements are low end -- max. 45-50 lbs on the bottom, 20 or maybe 40 lbs on the top.

I also use a K & M 'table' stand (the 18880)..... http://produkte.k-m.de/en/Keyboard-stands/Keyboard-tables/18880-TABLE-STYLE-KEYBOARD-STAND-alu-silver

I like it very much for the following reasons :

1. VERY lightweight (6 1/2 lbs), but sturdy - can hold up to 110lbs of gear.

2. Sets-up & down in a matter of seconds.

3. 2nd & 3rd tier stackers can be added if required.

4. Fully adjustable for height & tilt (table itself doesn't tilt, of course ! ).

5. It's (relatively) cheap - for a 2-tier version it would cost about £100 UKP (approx $165 USD).

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

If 2 tiers is all I need I use the Quik Lok M-91 Monolith. I like it so much I have two them. One for gigging and one for home. My favorite stand of all time. Quik Lok's quality control is not that good but the Monolith's design is a great concept for my uses. I need the bottom base stand to be able to hold a lot of weight. My Kawai DP weighs about 4,000 pounds.

I think the base stand is around $99 and the 2nd tier is probably around $40. Correction the 2nd tier looks to be $50 I think got mine cheaper than that. Prices are rising due to the fuel price hose job we are currently receiving.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Oh man, I've spent crazy money in the last couple years, trying to find stands that let me play ergonomically!

I've got 3 x stands, 2 z stands, a 3-tier Standtastic, a tabletop stand, and a Monolith like CEB.

BTW, the 2-tier Monolith is sold as the M-92.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284736-REG/QuikLok_M_92BK_M_92_Double_Tier_The.html

It is my favorite, as well. It sets up/breaks down VERY quickly if you just fold it flat. If you need to make it more compact to pack it up, you can break it down into smaller pieces which is more fiddly, but I usually leave it whole.

I really like the Monolith two tier as well. Very sturdy.

It folds flat, but is an awkward shape to put on a cart compared to an X stand.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Wow, in all these posts that's the first time I've seen the one jpscoey mentioned (probably my bad). That's the first one that makes me consider giving up my X stands for. It's light, looks rigid enough, collapses to a handy shape, and looks like it allows top tier to be very close to bottom tier.

The Monolith looks like an unwieldy size & shape if only folded flat. What advantages does it have over this table stand?

I use a pair of X stands, one a heavy duty double X and the other a heavy-duty single. Don't remember if they're Quick Lok or OnStage or a 3rd brand. These set up in seconds and take minimal space in my minivan, very convenient (especially when I'm using just one board). I have a second double-X stand for use at home or leaving at a common practice spot. The single X is strong enough for my Electro.

One of them has a nice locking mechanism if you always open it to the same height: no adjustment, just open it. The others have the trigger latch at the top.

I've never had a problem with them collapsing. With the ones I have, it's always crystal clear whether it's locked or not, and I always give them a good shake as I set them down just to be sure. Never felt them not lock.

The biggest problem is at highest height, there's barely enough room between the legs for my 4 pedals (sustain, expression, and dual sustain). Also, carrying the two stands together in one hand is a little clumsy, but I manage. I might add a velcro strap to bind them, but I often play with just one board.

That's another advantage: I only grab what I need. Both stands usually live in my minivan, and it's easy to grab one or both.

But that table does look tempting! John, do you use the crosspiece?

John - I've also been interested in the 18880 because of its low weight, but for reasons I've forgotten I went for the heavy 18950 instead...

About the 18880 - is it sturdy? And can you use it without that crossbar? Will that make it wobbly?

Are there any cons?

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

The Monolith looks like an unwieldy size & shape if only folded flat. What advantages does it have over this table stand?

I don't know, that table stand looks pretty good (the 18880).

As for being unweildy, that's true. But it's not any worse than a 2-tier x-stand once you have the trick, and it's easier to setup/break down. It's definitely easier to carry than 2 x-stands. It's a one-handed carry, and I can almost always find room for it in the car/van/trailer without taking it apart.

And of course there's plenty of room for pedals.

But now I see that the OP is talking about "a small keyboard and maybe a drum machine", so I don't know if either the M2 or the tabletop would work. Because the width of the top tier isn't adjustable on either. You'd have to rig something, but I'd imagine that's normal if you want two units on one tier.

Yes The top tier on the Monolith is BARELY narrow enough to ride a Roland D-50. You would need to create a shelf plate for anything narrower than a D-50.

I also have the K&M 18880 & 18881 (top tier). I wouldn't try to use it without the cross bar, since that adds additional strength. I suppose that it is POSSIBLE to use without the cross bar.

Light weight, very well constructed aircraft grade aluminum, excellent welding - worth every penny! My OnStage 2-tier Z stand has not been out on a gig since I got the K&M.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

...that's the first time I've seen the one jpscoey mentioned... that table does look tempting!

John, do you use the crosspiece?

Yes, the crosspiece IMO is an integral part of the stand - it definitely adds extra stability, & no extra weight.

It's also VERY easy to cope with - one end has a drilled hole, & the other has a slot.

so all you have to do to fold it flat is turn the knob, unhitch it (less than 1 second to do) - & you're done ! :thu:

I don't know, that table stand looks pretty good (the 18880). As for being unweildy, that's true.

If anything, the 18880 is less unweildy (& lighter) than any X stand I've ever used !

I have 3 tiers on mine - bottom = Nord Stage 88, middle = Hammond XK-1, top = Korg M3-73...

I have no concerns at all about a disasterous avalanche occuring ! :snax:

John.

some stuff on myspace

The coolest part of the monolith is you can pick up your stage piano and walk straight forward through the stand. It eliminates the need to do a lot of manuevering and turning or backwards walking around etc.... during tear down or set up. Just set the case in front of the stand pickup the board step forward and set it in the case.

MoodyBluesKeys, which nord is a top the Kurz in your picture?

After reading so many of your posts and you have given me great info, you amoung others know what is worth having and what isn't.

Wow, hundreds of responses from around the globe.

Thanks, folks! I will digest all this.

The narrow stuff I need to put on the second tier seems like the trickiest part of the equation so far -- really want my sp606 sampling drum machine, and a Miniak or cz101 for synth parts, where I can reach them, leaving all of the big board for piano or ep. I'm surprised there aren't more solutions for this kind of setup.

thanks again.

The narrow stuff I need to put on the second tier seems like the trickiest part of the equation so far

There is nothing tricky about this at all... put a piece of lightweight plywood, or similar, (ie : a shelf)

atop the 2nd tier to accommodate 2 or more smaller pieces of kit :idea: !

John.

some stuff on myspace

With the 18950 If you use the optional 18954 adapter you can put two sets of 18952 stackers (2nd tiers) side by side. In the picture in my earlier post they use one 18954 to be able to put the stackers closer together.

BUT, this setup will cost you more than $200 and it's a bit on the heavy side.

I have all options for my 18950 - one set of stackers, the mic boom kit and the music stand (which require one adapter each if you use a 2nd tier).

The newest accessory is the 18815 laptop holder - I might get me one of these too... :) perfect for macbook or iPad

so all you have to do to fold it flat is turn the knob, unhitch it (less than 1 second to do) - & you're done !
So, you can leave it attached but just swung down? That's great! A velcro keeper might be in order, but that's no problem.

The coolest part of the monolith is you can pick up your stage piano and walk straight forward through the stand.
Thanks for pointing that out. It's a great feature, but hadn't occurred to me yet.

so all you have to do to fold it flat is turn the knob, unhitch it (less than 1 second to do) - & you're done !
So, you can leave it attached but just swung down? That's great! A velcro keeper might be in order, but that's no problem

No velcro required Jeff - the other end of the crosspiece also has a tightening knob...

so all you have to do is give that half a turn & it's securely fixed in place.

Best, & most convenient stand I've ever used... :thu:

John.

some stuff on myspace

If I weren't through with buying gear forever ;) I'd try that 18880 tabletop. With a wood board across the top tier to hold small units, maybe some velcro to hold the units in place, it could be a good solution to percussion boy's question.

I'm happy with my monolith. Actually I just thought of another minor disadvantage to of the monolith. If you have to move your rig once it's already set up, sliding it is tricky. That's because the round tubing in the back, on the floor, will grab your cables and twist them up if you're not careful.

The narrow stuff I need to put on the second tier seems like the trickiest part of the equation so far

There is nothing tricky about this at all... put a piece of lightweight plywood, or similar, (ie : a shelf)

atop the 2nd tier to accommodate 2 or more smaller pieces of kit :idea: !

Yeah, I've thought about that -- just not a real sexy solution, especially if you have to start velcroing stuff.

I'm trying to pass for a real musican here, shouldn't I be buying a lot of "musician stuff"? [irony]

Thanks again, everybody. Almost ready to take care of this.

Final question -- Any reason nobody's mentioning Z stands here, beyond personal preference? They look like a cheaper way to get a stand with foot and pedal room, vs. stuff like the Monolith and K&M table stands mentioned above.

And yeah, I'll reconsider X stands, might be the simplest fix.

Wow, in all these posts that's the first time I've seen the one jpscoey mentioned (probably my bad).

Yup, that was one of my big "finds" a while back. The 18880 (with 2nd/3rd tier if needed) is outstanding. Ridiculously light. Knocks down and sets up in under 10 seconds, without having to ever remove any pieces... the whole thing moves in one compact piece (even if configured as a 3-tier). Probably weighs under 10 pounds in its 3-tier configuration. With a little customization, you can even get the tiers closer than they show them, or flip them around so they put they provide support from the rear instead of overhanging the bottom keyboard.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I do have 2-tier Z stands - three of them. One in the shop/studio, one at church, one in the travel bag. It is a great stand, solid enough to hold up almost anything. That is the stand in my avatar picture.

The K&M is not rated as heavy, but the two tiers all together are only 7 or 8 pounds - so it is easier to carry. Also sets up in a few seconds.

What I'd really like to see would be the OnStage Z stand made out of aircraft aluminum like the K&M.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Thanks for the additional input. So no reason to fear the Z either.

I'll sort this out. Just did all the measuring of my gear. Maybe I can re-budget for the K&M with a second tier, might be worth it long-term from what you all are saying.

The problem with the OnStage Z stand, in my experience, is that it's a pain to set up and break down. I've got one in my studio, and it works great. But to take it apart I have to unscrew too many knobs, and my wrists hate that motion. I think it breaks down into four pieces, so you either have the extra step of packing it in a bag and then stowing the bag somewhere, or you take an extra trip just to move your stand.

The problem with the OnStage Z stand, in my experience, is that it's a pain to set up and break down. I've got one in my studio, and it works great. But to take it apart I have to unscrew too many knobs, and my wrists hate that motion. I think it breaks down into four pieces, so you either have the extra step of packing it in a bag and then stowing the bag somewhere, or you take an extra trip just to move your stand.
I don't break it down. I either carry it in one had while carrying another thing in the other hand, or I throw it on the cars with the other gear.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Okay, so I'm looking real hard at the k&m 18880 now, although I may have to rob a liquor store or a few small children to get it.

What I'm not seeing on the k&m site is, what's the range of width for two of those extenders (18881s)? Ideally, I'd probably put up a Miniak on the second tier, which is a 3 octave board, not wide at all; or else a drum machine, probably about 13" wide.

How narrow can the second tier (created by two 18881s) get?

Thanks again!

Okay, so I'm looking real hard at the k&m 18880 now,

What I'm not seeing on the k&m site is, what's the range of width for two of those extenders (18881s)?

How narrow can the second tier (created by two 18881s) get?

The 18881's slot into the back uprights of the table - therefore are the same width (700mm / approx 27")

As I said before, a shelf for gear that small is the ideal solution.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Archived