Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Little OT: Voiceovers

b_3guy

I know some of you jingle guys must have to hire people to do voiceovers. I have some Flash work that they want a female voiceover. Janet, my wife has a great voice & the client is happy with her. But I don't know what to charge for her & the engineering. What do you guys charge?

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It varies, depending on the project.

For ones like you're talking about where I use my voice and studio, I bill separately if I can. If it's someone I know/small business, I charge $40 per hr for the studio and $60 per hour for VO. It goes up from there...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Thanks Dave. I was thinking about $130 but I think I'll scale that back to $100 for both. Why do you like to bill separately?

Steve

I remember my first VO session. Talent showed up, knocked out VO for a 30 second radio spot in about 15 minutes & left. I did some editing, added needledrop & had the spot done in an hour. Later I saw the talent invoice (I don't book VO talent).... $350.00. I was horrified, until....

..... about a week later when a client brought in their receptionist because "she has a pleasant sounding voice". After 2 hours of trying to coach anything close to a useable read, and another hour and a half trying to comp (turd polish) her 100 takes into something usable, we got done... and then I added music & mixed. When it was all said & done, they would've saved money if they'd hired a pro, (because of the extra studio time they used up). And, what they ended up with wasn't even close to what they could've had with a pro. Since then, I've shared this story with clients whenever they try to skimp on talent.

I don't feel bad about rates for VO talent, which is pretty typically in the $250-$400 range depending on the project. When they're good, they can make a message come across in spades. I do feel awful about the rates for musical talent- why singers & musicians get so much less than VO talent, I haven't a clue.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

I hear ya mcgoo. I have to do a lot to get over. So far this year I've done 60+ of them ( jingles). I loose money on every gig, but make up for it in volume. :)

I don't feel bad about rates for VO talent, which is pretty typically in the $250-$400 range depending on the project. When they're good, they can make a message come across in spades.

Wow. There are seven in the series. The bill will be in this range by the end of it.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in.

Steve

I don't feel bad about rates for VO talent, which is pretty typically in the $250-$400 range depending on the project. When they're good, they can make a message come across in spades.

Wow. There are seven in the series. The bill will be in this range by the end of it.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in.

I should also add that when there are multiple projects in one, we'll negotiate the fee a bit with the talent. For example, a radio spot with one basic read but 10 location tags might pay for the standard read & then an extra $50 - $75 per tag.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Archived