Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Getting ready to take the IEM plunge. Any new experiences?

eric

Hey forum friends,

I just did my due diligence and read several of the IEM threads from the past year, including this one and some others.

I'm pretty excited that I'm joining a new band that has gone entirely IEM and I'm encouraged to do the same. I've been rehearsing and gigging with my usual powered speaker rig, but have been getting some education from the various members on their individual IEM rigs and options they have. For example, one guitarist has a mini rack rig with pretty much top-of-the-line gear (Shure PSM900, mixer, ambient mic, etc.) and I'll probably take the plunge and get some nice stuff for myself like this.

The band has digital mixing and an iPad on stage to help set levels. It is pretty slick.

I enjoyed the threads I've read on the forum and was curious if anyone has updated experiences or any dos and don'ts to share with me?

Thanks!

Eric

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I only know what I've read here. I want to know about this new band. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I recommend you check out futuresonics.com when you go purchase your earbuds. They arent as hyped sounding as the dual driver Shure E5s (which I also own), which means you can listen to them longer, and their Atrios are only like $170, and they last forever. Let me know how you implement the in ear system. Im trying to talk my bands into doing it, but they dont seem to be making any headway, and they seem to be getting louder and louder as we start playing bigger shows.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I am planning to take my band to IEMs in the next month. I have a tight budget so it's the Galaxy 4pack for us. If they work well I plan on individual mixes eventually. That is where IEMs are best.I would have my keys/vocals up in the mix then add kick and snare and bass. Guitar player had to use an amp so I could usually hear it from outside.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I recommend you check out futuresonics.com when you go purchase your earbuds. They arent as hyped sounding as the dual driver Shure E5s (which I also own), which means you can listen to them longer, and their Atrios are only like $170, and they last forever. Let me know how you implement the in ear system. Im trying to talk my bands into doing it, but they dont seem to be making any headway, and they seem to be getting louder and louder as we start playing bigger shows.

I've had several different earbuds over the years - some virtually unusable onstage if you'll be singing. What's surprising is that it's the expensive dual-driver models that I can't use. They sound excellent listening to an iPod or something of hat nature. But on stage, you're fighting with the subs. Even with good isolation, some bass will get through. Your IEM mix has to overcome that and sound clear and natural. For me, that seems to be the ones that have more midrange. I think the ones I'm using now are Shure IE-220's and I've been happy.

I bring this up because you can't return them. I've spent decent cash only to find out within a couple songs that they weren't going to work for me.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Wait. I was under the impression that the best IEM units are formed to your ear canal.

You need to have a wax mold made of your ear canal and the IEM is made from that mold; similar to hearing aids.

I'm talking about top-of-the-line IEMs (read - expensive).

Right?

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

The BEST? In terms of fit, certainly. But it still comes down to the drivers. And while the Futuresonics ATRIAs are their bottom of the line one size fits all single driver units, they sound fabulous live and with device monitoring.

They also do molded ear pieces too, but yes, youre talking substantially more money for that. At this stage of my life, I dont need the full-on Maybach earbuds. The Atrias smoke a lot of product 3x as much, and I really like them.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Make sure you have fresh batteries. Mine died Friday night, and then the buds started crackling Saturday night. I didn't have my K10, cuz this place is soooo phoquing small, so the 3rd set was me listening to myself through the PA, keys and vocals. I was on my toes to say the least.

Yes, please do tell us of this new 'band' of which you speak...

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Make sure you have fresh batteries. Mine died Friday night, and then the buds started crackling Saturday night. I didn't have my K10, cuz this place is soooo phoquing small, so the 3rd set was me listening to myself through the PA, keys and vocals. I was on my toes to say the least.

Yes, please do tell us of this new 'band' of which you speak...

I always keep a spare battery within reach, but don't go more than two gigs on a battery to be safe. I also have a spare set of ears in case. The crackling is probably the cable going bad. Get the ones with replaceable cables and you'll save money in the long run. I went through about 5 pairs of E3's because of the cables going out.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I only know what I've read here. I want to know about this new band. :)

Ditto and ditto.

Hey Joe and Noah. I'm very happy with the new band. It is a fun party band that does not take itself too seriously. Most of the guys are long time close friends that I would enjoy growing old playing music with them.

Flat Elvis

This group played for my wife's 40th surprise party 2 years ago and I've done sit in gigs with them off and on. Two guys were members of my former wedding band that dissolved a few months back.

On the IEMs thanks for the feedback. I plan to go custom molded. Most of the band use Live Wires. I will hopefully get the rig together in the next 1-2 weeks, as there are lots of gigs on the books.

Eric,

Cool! Like Dave says, sounds like fun. It looks they they play a bit too, so it should keep you busy, eh?

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

So this is a Euro-only product, with no availability in the US. Shame...looks like a good solution.

The power supply is switchable 115V/230V with a standard plug, so if you can get it (e.g. from Thomann) you can use it in the US.

"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

Eric - good call on the LiveWires - Marc is a great guy who will get you taken care of pronto and at a good $ for custom molds.

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

I've had Livewires and they sound horrible. Marc is a nice guy, but the technology is very generic. Sorry.

The state of the art is simply JH Audio. Jerry Harvey is the guy that started it all and created Ultimate Ears. JH Audio is his new company...gen 2 stuff, latest technology and they sound AWESOME. Jerry gets it.

To me, there are only 3 choices: the JH5's, JH13's and JH16's. The 5's are entry level but sound fantastic. The 13's are simply incredible. You will hear things you've never heard before. The 16's are very similar to the 13's with just a little extra low end...not too much. The 5's are priced $700 cheaper than the 13's, but definitely don't sound it. They should actually be priced higher.

They're all very musical. I can't recommend JH highly enough. Call or email them to see if there's a way to listen to a demo pair.

I use the 16's with an Aviom system and love it.

One major tip: Go to an audioogist that's created molds for musicians before...one that's on JH Audio's list...and follow the instructions to the tee. You want the best fit possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm close to procuring my IEM rig after additional research and talking to my bandmates about their systems. I get my molds done today and will ship them off for IEMs - I'm about 95% sure I'm going with the Ultimate Ears UE7 trips. I will get the Shure PSM 900 wireless system and a Shure P4M mixer to give me access to my own stereo keyboard signal along with a band mix and possibly an ambient microphone, all individually controlled and panned via the P4M.

My biggest struggle is the IEMs -- whether to go the value route with Livewires sub $400 solution vs. the higher-end UEs in the $800+ range.

Anyone else have IEM stories to share? I'm getting excited about this as it will signal a big change in my rig when I'm not consumed with carrying stereo monitors everywhere. It lightens up the rig considerably.

Is it harder to communicate with other band members on stage with IEMs in? For example, changing the setlist on the fly, or telling the guitar player he's in the wrong key? ;-)

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Is it harder to communicate with other band members on stage with IEMs in? For example, changing the setlist on the fly, or telling the guitar player he's in the wrong key? ;-)

I've been playing with a band now for nearly a month and they all have IEMs except for me. A couple of guys have dedicated ambient microphones as part of their stage rigs and they can hear me talking on stage just fine. Plus, the vocal and drum mics will pick up conversation on stage. There are a couple of guys that almost need to remove one IEM to hear stage conversation, but it is covered by mics for the most part.

The soundman (who uses our bass player's sound equipment) has a pretty slick setup where everyone gets their own dedicated monitor mix and the stage mics are helpful for conversation. I have not decided if I'll need an ambient mic or not.

• 4 weeks later...
I took a dip not the plunge that Eric is taking. Wish I could afford to buy the whole band his set up. But I did purchase the Galaxy in ears 4 pack. All of us have a reciever and only one transmitter so we are on one mix. I have used them twice with mixed results. However in all fairness both times I have not had the opportunity to sound check them. it has been set up and play. My delema so far has been getting enough volume to please everyone. Any suggestions?

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

I have no direct experience with IEMs, (and no dog in this hunt, as they say), but I just got an email about this guy (Jerry Harvey), who apparently has a great deal of experience in the field. His client list is impressive.

Clonk

Steve, thanks I found him through google and his list is impressive

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Eric, is there a limiter somewhere in that system you now have?

After using my IEMs now for nearly a month, I can say with confidence that it is the best gear investment I've made in a very long time. Love it!

That's cool. IEM's are a love-hate thing for me...

Stuff and things.

Eric, is there a limiter somewhere in that system you now have?

No limiter, but careful use of volume control. Should I have one?

The Sony PSM system I have has limiters built into the belt pack receiver. It's just a safety thing more than anything - so that if anything weird happens like feedback, or some crazy instrument malfunction or something, you don't get dangerous levels piped directly into your ears. Of course, if you end up using IEM's with a different sensitivity than the beltpack was designed for, I question the effectiveness, but it's still a level of protection.

Dan

Archived