Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you solve a problem like Mar...I mean a drunkphoque?

DanS

We had some real winners at a gig Friday night, who just wouldn't leave our singer alone.

Basically the patrons in question would come up to the her and stare, attempt to dance, and just generally leer at her for the better part of our sets. There is no stage at this place.

At one point our guitarist and singer's husband stood in front of some ass who just wasn't getting the message, and blocked his access to the band area.

I told our singer that if she feels threatened, or can't concentrate, all she has to do is signal the band, we stop playing, draw attention to the drunk, and we don't re-start until the problem is resolved.

Any suggestions?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have to have a wall that will discourage drunks (and others), using whatever you've got; monitors, lights, cables. Depending on the circumstances, band size, and how often this sort of thing comes up, you may also want to look into picking up enough portable risers to create a stage if/when needed. Even 8" risers will create some psychological distance.

Having a ogle-lishous lead singer is great, but you cannot allow a situation where (often drunk) people can get their hands on her (or put a drink on your keyboard, or walk up to talk to the guitar player, etc.)

Larry.

What type of venue was this? Do they have bouncers or security or similar you could call upon?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Novice drunks combined with novice chick singers are a bad pairing.

Experienced chick singer: "Dude. I'm married and I have the clap. Bad! Don't get close. I shouldn't even be in public".

Experienced drunk (me): sits at bar and oogles chick rock singer. They always sound and look better from a distance. Always!

Male musicians? Remember they are at work. Unless you've got money for them or work at the bar it's a waste of your time and theirs even saying hello. Bouncers have more personality than the average musician.

Male singers? You complimented one? You deserve whatever you get in return. Worst scenario: you sit next to him at the bar and complimnet him all night and then have to live with that memory for the rest of your life. It's better to black out and die in a gutter.

The point being there are ways to shoo the pest off. Tell the club you'd like the drunk to be given a warning and a sit down or shoo away. Of they return then its' the bouncer. Most clubs I frequent know the deal.

We don't have the oogle-icious lead singer problem, at least I don't personally find him oogle-worthy, but we had a similar issue at our gig Saturday night. About 3/4 of the way through our first set, between songs, a guy taps me on the shoulder and hands me an unopened can of Rainier. I thank him, and he proceeds to give the rest of the band members each a beer. Not a problem. A song and a half later, he's back, this time with at least 2 sixpacks worth of Rainier, this time on a tray and opened. I was kind of oblivious to what was going on, I guess before he got to me, he put some beers on our drummers electronics setup, harangued our singer/rapper about letting him sing on a few songs (this was while we were playing a tune), and more.

I keep my laptop rack on an X-stand, with a piece of shelving to ,my left as I'm playing, and tend to store my beverage of the evening on the part of the shelving not covered by the rack, sort of the inside of the "L" between my keyboards and the rack. So all of a sudden, I see this hand reaching across my laptop from behind me trying to put an opened beer on my shelf. This after I had had time to maybe take one sip of the previous beer. I spin around to get the guy to stop, he jumps back, with about 5 beers left on his tray, which of course all fall on the floor at my feet, spraying Rainier over everything, including my Minimoog! I keep playing the bass line with my left hand (we were playing the Stones "Live With Me") and yell at the guy to get the F5ck away and get me some towels, he kinda stares at me blacnkly, and gives me this shrug, like "What?" We end the tune, and while my wife is grabbing some towels from the bar, I tear into the guy, telling him he does not, under any circumstances, come onto the stage while we are playing. He does not apologize, he doesn't offer to help me clean up the mess, and he doesn't offer to pay for any repairs that might be necessary. Instead, he keeps asking me, "You wanna take this outside? "Cause I'll kick your ass." Eventually, the club owner, who is one of the nicest and most reasonable people I know, comes over and walks the guy out the door, while I mop up the spill.

No serious damage, the worst thing was that the fabric cover to my EV 360 got soaked. The next day, when I was picking up my gear, the club owner had me sign a dented Rainier can that I had kicked into the corner of the club.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

The next day, when I was picking up my gear, the club owner had me sign a dented Rainier can that I had kicked into the corner of the club.
I like him. He's silly. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

You need to have a conversation with the owner/manager of the venue about it. If you're going to play there, they need to provide a safe environment for you to do so. Your singer is going to have to find a way to deal with the leering, though; that's out of the venue's control.

You have to have a wall that will discourage drunks (and others), using whatever you've got; monitors, lights, cables.

Bingo. :thu:

Depending on the venue, we used to rope it off. While it does not stop anybody from trespassing and/or leering, it does create that pyschological barrier.

Of course, stages and risers work better but a determined drunk.... :facepalm::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The next day, when I was picking up my gear, the club owner had me sign a dented Rainier can that I had kicked into the corner of the club.
I like him. He's silly. :)

I do too. He's far too cool and nice to be a club owner, I doubt he'll last :-) He also offered to help with any repairs to my stuff.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I've worked with a lot of female vocalists, and like it or not, part of the job description - at least in clubs - is the ability to deal with drunken A-holes in the crowd. The real pros can do it without missing a beat and probably leave the drunk feeling good about himself.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I've worked with a lot of female vocalists, and like it or not, part of the job description - at least in clubs - is the ability to deal with drunken A-holes in the crowd. The real pros can do it without missing a beat and probably leave the drunk feeling good about himself.

+1

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

When I say they were coming up to her and leering, I mean they were 6" from her face. That's unacceptable. She handled herself well, and the bass player's wife would pull them out on the dance floor (I think she knows martial arts..)

Anyway, it's a smallish pub, with serious constraints on space.

There's 2 bar staff, and a kid who goes around cleaning up the drinks. No bouncers.

Saturday night at the same place was 180 degrees better. Had a theater company come to party, no issues. Just people looking to unwind from a performance.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Archived