Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

K2600 replacement action (full assembly)???

ELP71

Anybody know if the Fatar 88-key weighted keybed Kurzweil is currently using in their 'workstations' can be used in a K2600 and/or a 2500? A quick perusal of the images on Fatar's website leads m eto believe that if the 'pinout' on the ribbon cables works out, they should physically fit in the older keyboard.

My sit-down thetare gig has both a 2600 and a 2500...and our local repair guy can't seem to get parts anymore.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This has been discussed on the SonikMatter forum. Best I recall, Kurzweil says that the velocity characteristics are different, and the K2500 or K2600 would not sound right.

The older keyboard from the 2500, 2600, (and for that matter the PC2X) contained lead - so there won't be any more of those made. Laws passed several years ago for the EU cut off all possibility of being able to sell products containing lead, so all the companies, including Kurzweil, had to change electronics over to lead-free products.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Sorry that your K is showing its age, but this is precisely why Kurzweil put the PC3K together, with the support for the existing K series libraries...

But yes, as MBK states above, it has been asked and answered over on SonikMatter, and it's not a viable option due to electronics & programming, not about physical size/fit.

If the whole action set is broken, I can't help. But if you're like me, my K2500 keys in the middle of the board (where I play the most) started clanking and clacking. So I moved the dodgy keys in the middle to the extreme L and R edges and moved those fairly unused keys to the middle.

Kurzweil says they have two left...76 note versions of course!!! I reckon it's probably smart to buy them for cannibalization purposes...thanks very much for the feedback, gents!
Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

I never had much difficulty with the 76 note actions, other than one run where all the black key counterweights fell out right away. (Thanks for all those great memories Fatar!)

Last year I bought a PC-88 that wouldn't power up and salvaged the keybed to keep a K2600X going. After a few months there were lots of clicking keys in the middle octaves. My understanding is that the K2600X's operating system would have to be modified to work with the TP-40L actions used in the PC3s. These have proven to be much more reliable than those cursed TP-10Ms. I understand why Kurzweil has no interest in doing this, but it's a mod a lot of us would pay dearly for.

Before long there won't be any playable K2500X and K2600X keyboards left. Good thing the PC3K8s are incredible!

Edited to add: Does your theater use the 88 note K2500X/K2600X or the 76 note K2500/K2600s? The actions are completely different - you won't get any useable parts from a 76 note action to put in an 88 note one.

• 1 month later...

I've got a very clean K2600X, electronically perfect, fully loaded, nary a scratch, with the keyboard just starting to have problems.

I'm thinking of selling this. Any suggestions on pricing would be appreciated. Thanks in advance -

Archived