Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Studiologic Controller Keyboard

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.shop2rock.de/images/product_images/popup_images/studiologic_acuna88.jpg

That has got to be the second worst spot for pitch bend and mod wheel I have seen in my entire life (the Numa piano, with the wheel on the SIDE, wins first place).

Nice of them to take the worst design aspect of the Yamaha CP1/5/50 series as well, with those shearable knobs on the top panel.

One of these days, Studiologic is going to hire someone that actually PLAYS keyboards in a LIVE setting to have some input into the design, instead of some recently-laid-off Vespa designer. :facepalm:

At least it's got zones, this time. :thu:

It's an interresting concept, but while the Numa-series look quite nice, this one is ugly as hell, IMHO...

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

That has got to be the second worst spot for pitch bend and mod wheel I have seen in my entire life (the Numa piano, with the wheel on the SIDE, wins first place).

Nice of them to take the worst design aspect of the Yamaha CP1/5/50 series as well, with those shearable knobs on the top panel.

One of these days, Studiologic is going to hire someone that actually PLAYS keyboards in a LIVE setting to have some input into the design, instead of some recently-laid-off Vespa designer. :facepalm:

At least it's got zones, this time. :thu:

And plenty of room for third-party controllers on all of that bare space on top. :thu:

Of course, there would be even more room if the wheels had been placed farther to the left. :idea:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

You forget about this?

http://www.harmonycentral.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/38-33615-14387/Stage2_Panel.jpg

I guess anything is bad if it's not what you're used to, that is, if you're fighting muscle memory whenever you reach for the pitch/mod controls. But that aside, I don't see the problem. Ergonomically, it's closer to where the left hand should normally be.

I've had terrible problems with Studiologic controllers. They're not getting any more of my business.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I wonder how the IPAD garageband piano and EP's sound.
Like they do in GarageBand. The pianos are weak, the Rhodes are pretty decent, the Wurly is weak.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

50" long, 30# light, iPad docking... sounds to me like they're listening to gigging players. Those pitch and mod wheels are located pretty much where they are on the Nord - not my favorite place but infinitely better than on the end.

Ive heard this brand isnt very reliable..n how much do it weigh??

Those wheels...Anyone use this brand live?

Hey ADino, I think midijr hacked your account. :freak:

midijr or not... these are really interesting questions.

Aside from the looks, I surely think this is an interesting concept. A bit heavier than its brother the Numa Nano, but still quite light - and the price looks great! The big European "Musikhaus" lists it at the same price as the VMK-188 - only 499 (including VAT!).

Now back to the question above. IMHO Fatar/Studiologic now has quite a broad palette of keyboards, of which I found some really interesting - by looking at the spcec. It's also a known fact that for many years they've been supplying keybeds to most of the major manufacturers of this market. Still - I don't see many Studiologic/Fatar/Numas out there - not on the music scene here in Sweden, seldom on TV and on this forums there doesn't seem to be too many who recommends their products.

So with the risk of derailing the thread - a question for those of you who use Studiologic/Fatar/Numa or have had experience with them in the past - if you don't feel comfortable using their products live, why is that? Too heavy? Lack of important features (multiple zones, no of memory locations etc)? Unreliable system software? Overall build quality, or something else?

If you however do swear by Studiologic/Fatar/Numa - what is it you like about them?

And just to be clear - I'm not in any way affiliated with Fatar/Studiologic, or for any other manufacturer or retailer either. I'm just an interested "weekend warrior" who's looking for a gig worthy replacement of my old worn out Kurz PC88 - and a weighted action companion to my Nord Electro 3.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

've played a few Fatar/Studiologics over the years (mostly SLs IIRC) and the short story is that Fatar makes great actions with buggy electronics/software. That would explain why a Fatar action in a Yamaha or Roland or Kurz works well and their standalone controller boards were known for driving people crazy. That said, I haven't played/used one in years mainly because of my previous experience.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I used a SL-880 live for years and loved it. The action seemed just right, the keys were nice and long, yet the whole controller itself was short enough to fit in the back seat of my car. It's flat top meant that I could also stack another keyboard practically right on top of it.

I never asked it to do more than transmit notes on Channel 1 though. All setups were handled elsewhere. It really had it's limits in that area.

Between my church and home I use 3 Studiologic boards; 2 sl 990s and 1 sl880. Action is wonderful, better than some high end stage pianos. I agree it has limited electronics, but for simply playing it delivers. I've had these for years with no problem.

lol, Im not midjr, or whoever that is..I did ask those questions, and I was serious. I remember that Ensoniq, particularly the asr88 utilized Fatar beds. I didnt like the ks32, but I did like the action on the asr88. What do you do if you have a problem carrying the current most used DP's, yet simply have to have a weighted board? I really see no alternative other than getting a Casio, or trying one of the lightweight weighted action controllers that are available? Theres really not many to choose from. Im open to suggestions.

I owned the Numa Piano for two weeks which was two weeks too many. I've had a VMK-188 plus and found it to be a wonderful action. It felt great to play, but the Numa Piano is a different animal. The main problem I see is velocity. I would be playing along and wham: 127 volume. Two of the keys made a rubbing together sound and it had some bugs as far as programming went, such as turning up the treble on the eq and getting a bass sound added to the piano sound. I noticed MF sold two that have been returned already. That's not a good sign. As someone stated earlier, the designers of these keyboards are obviously NOT performers. An update is available but it won't be enough to entice me to try another one.

• 1 month later...

This fixes a problem with the Numa Nano that I was just discussing in another thread. Between the MIDI in and the iPad connectivity, there are numerous possible ways to add "missing buttons." Its basic interface looks like it may be better as well. I wonder why it weighs 10 pounds more, though? Maybe the casing is cheaper but heavier...

And yes, the wheel placement is goofy. For that matter, I don't like the main control placement. Everything should have been shifted far left (or wheels to far left and other controls to far right). Then there would be a large empty surface onto which one could rest the front of an SK1 or other non-weighted board of choice, so we could have that 2-close-keyboard setup that so many of us like.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I, too, bought a Numa Piano and sent it right back. The main AP sound had questionable overtones and reverb baked in that I couldn't dial out. I also didn't like the action, which was somewhere between a CP33 and a Privia -- too heavy for my hands.

Archived