Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Figuring out the Hammond XK1

Dlrshort

I just bought a used older XK1. I have not yet received it but I have downloaded the owners manual from the Internet. Doing the presets and setting up the drawbars to wok with the upper and lower keyboard seems very complicated. Are there any tutorials or info out there that would be helpful on the subject?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, seeing the grief you had identifying an XK1 with an SK1, Id say you have your work cut out for you.

But heres a tip: when you have the XK1 in front of you, above the keys on the control panel youll see three buttons labeled UPPER, PEDAL, LOWER. When you tap one, the corresponding LED underneath it lights up, and as you manipulate the drawbars, youll notice the screen shows their current position (the screen shows Upper Pedal Lower drawbars all at once).

Setting the organ the way you like with drawbar settings, overdrive, C/V, percussion, reverb or sounds, when you get it, hit the REC button and select a bank and preset to put it in.

Its tough stuff but were pulling for ya! (Honestly, all jabs aside, itll make so much more sense when youre sitting in front of the keyboard.)

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

^ what Tony said...^

Wait until you actually have the XK1 in front of you - then read the manual and try for yourself.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

Well I'm in Sweden so there's probably 8-10 hrs time difference... and I don't do night shifts! :)

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

One of you guys need to give me your phone number so I can call you for phone support at all hours! I think you are right that it should be easier than figuring out my X's and S's.
If you make it through the hazing, you'll be ok ;)
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I love my XK-1! The whole drawbar thing will probably make more sense when you get the unit in front of you, in generally, the manual is kind of mystifying IMHO.

Basically, you have the Upper/Pedal/Lower button to determine which manual the physical drawbars are controlling. The center screen shows the actual drawbar settings of each manual. When you switch to a new preset, the screen shows the drawbar setting for that preset. The "Adjust" preset, the last preset in each bank of 12, gives you the current setting of the physical drawbars, kind of like the B preset key on a real Hammond.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Hey, kudos!

The Xk-1 is a great board.

Like they said, you will understand things a lot better after looking at the keyboard and listening to the changes yourself.

But, the drawbars logic is pretty simple.

You have to think like if you are playing an original B3.

You know you have the upper manual, the lower manual and also the bass pedals in front of you.

Your goal is to change the sound of the organ using the drawbars. But you have three different things you can change (upper, lower, pedals).

For each one of these three parts an original B3 would have a different set of drawbars. But, since the Xk-1 has only one set of drawbars, in order to change the sound of the upper manual you will click UPPER.

Then, if you want to change the sound of the lower manual, you will click LOWER.

And if you need to change the sound of the bass pedals, you will click PEDALS.

PS: Keep in mind that, when you select UPPER or LOWER all the drawbars can be used to modify the sound.

But when you click the PEDAL you can only change the values of the first brown drawbar and also the third drawbar (the others do not change anything in this mode).

Well, good luck with your Xk1.

I know you'll spend lots of time playing with the settings and the sound.

Thats ok... welcome to the club!

:)

Archived