Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Percussion question

Cygnus64

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You probably know this, but you don't actually need a third percussionist to do this arrangement. Just bongo and drumset would do the trick.

Yup, thanks. There is also a vibraphone in the orchestra break in the middle, I will probably leave that out.

The show is basically paying homage to female singers of the last 100 years, from Billie Holiday to Celine. I don't have to get them exact at all, I just have to "capture the spirit" of whoever we are saluting. I kinda-sorta have to keep all personnel busy in a sense, if there are 3 percussionists I need to use all 3 for the majority of the charts, hence lil things like shaker.

Here's a one bar drum chart that will work 90% of the time. Just copy and paste as as needed.

|bang bang bang bang|

Dammit Mike, you had my hopes up there for a second!! :laugh: That's what I need, a copy/paste solution. I don't wanna write all this shiat out. :(:D

What, you thought I was kidding? :)

There's a grain of truth in it though. Give a good drummer a roadmap with the hits written out, along with a stylistic indicator. All will be well. Although I know it's probably different in your orchestra world. Or is it?

What, you thought I was kidding? :)

There's a grain of truth in it though. Give a good drummer a roadmap with the hits written out, along with a stylistic indicator. All will be well. Although I know it's probably different in your orchestra world. Or is it?

It can be. It all depends on who is playing it, which is an unknown. If the various orchs. have any sort of budget, they will bring in a jazz/pop trio drums/bass/keys. If they don't (which is happening more and more) they will rely on their stock classical players. I'm writing out piano and bass parts note by note in case that happens.

I'm writing out piano and bass parts note by note in case that happens.

Ugh! Hopefully you don't have the classical keys dude playing this ish. Even if you write it out note for note, do them a favor and put in chord symbols.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Ugh! Hopefully you don't have the classical keys dude playing this ish. Even if you write it out note for note, do them a favor and put in chord symbols.

I'm putting in chord symbols. There's a local guy who is excellent that I'm hoping will be part of a package deal and play most if not all the shows, wherever they may be. I have no idea if that's possible at this point.

The tricky part: with a full orch, there's an incredible amount of structure built into a chart. Where a pianist might think "this is a good spot for a lick", there might already be a lick there in the winds for example. There are two ways to do it:

a. Singer and trio, with backing orch.

b. Singer, with Orch that includes a trio.

I'm doing b, which means the orchestra will be far more involved than the normal footballs in the background. Any improv will have to be structured improv. The solo bass player can't have carte blanche, since there will be a 5 piece bass section playing something contrary.

This is actual bolero. Can't you just say "bolero" as you would say "samba".

If not, this is percussion pattern for maracas, congas and bongos. Bolero Pattern Hope you can transcribe it for drums.

Bass line plays downbeats 1, 3 and 4.

Also, you may check Nat King Cole's version, where they are flipping between bolero and cha. Verse - bolero, chorus - cha.

My favourite would be just maracas, two guitars, and trumpet, as they used to play back then. You may check Shakira's "Hey Amores".

Hope this helps.

Ed

Write in the chart something like 'no fills' or 'play mostly as written'. If you're rehearsing the stuff then he should figure it out pretty quick after a run through with the orch.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

If not, this is percussion pattern for maracas, congas and bongos. Bolero Pattern Hope you can transcribe it for drums.

Also, you may check Nat King Cole's version, where they are flipping between bolero and cha. Verse - bolero, chorus - cha.

My favourite would be just maracas, two guitars, and trumpet, as they used to play back then. You may check Shakira's "Hey Amores".

Hope this helps.

Ed

Thanks Ed, I really appreciate it. There are many versions on Youtube of the original "Quizaz" and "Perhaps", I had no idea it was so popular. My least favorite version is Doris Day's. :(

Bobby, if you were playing this, what would you like the piano part to look like? Just chord changes and rhythm/slashes?

Hope this helps.

Ed

Thanks Ed, I really appreciate it. There are many versions on Youtube of the original "Quizaz" and "Perhaps", I had no idea it was so popular. My least favorite version is Doris Day's. :(

Glad that you can use it, there are few bongo fills that may help too. Fill from D. Day version is #4 on the second page.

My 2 cents on piano (or other lead instrument). If you want to stick with bolero, then loose fills, entirely ad-lib. Emphasis here is on lyricism, and on vocalist.

Cheers,

Ed

My 2 cents on piano (or other lead instrument). If you want to stick with bolero, then loose fills, entirely ad-lib.

One thought I had would be to make a piano part that was optional and only for improvisers. The chart doesn't need a keyboard since there is a lot or rhythm pizz, but it would be nice if a jazzer could do their thing. I don't really need a classical pianist on this, they would just be doubling pizz parts.

Fill from D. Day version is #4 on the second page.

Second page of what?

Archived