Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Loops, fills 'n Chords

Fumblyfingers

Hi all.

I am a non keyboard playing guitarist and I want to be able to create MIDI keyboard parts in my sessions.

Up to now I have been trying to write keyboard parts, using a MIDI guitar controller to trigger my soft synths/VI's and sample libraries, but it is not cutting it. It's okay for single line stuff and pads, motion pads etc etc but obviously keyboard voicing's are not possible in one pass and also it is a common problem with guitar synths to get glitches, double triggers and false triggers when using piano type sounds. So a ton of time wasting editing is required.

Having said all that....please excuse this horrific question..... :sick::laugh:

Can anyone recommend any really good MIDI file libraries that focus on piano, and other types of keyboard performances?

I'd love to find a program(s) that contains hip chord voicings, interesting arpeggio's and typical chord runs and fills, pads etc etc in different styles and time signatures even. Files that with a little editing can be made to sound professional.

Is there even such a thing? I'd like to find stuff that real keyboard players consider excellent programs?

FWIW I love the playing of Lyle Mays, Chick, Jan Hammer, Billy Preston, Herbie, Donald Fagen, Booker T, Rick Davies....to name a few.

I know I am a bounder and this is a totally outrageous and sacrilegious question to ask here..... sacre bleu, pardon messieur!!!

Anyone know of anything..........?

Thanks. :D:thu:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A forum full of people who pride themselves on playing those parts is probably the worst place to ask this question, n'est pas?

That said, the first thing that comes to mind is Band In A Box. You give it the chord structures and it generates parts, including piano accompaniment. I don't have the URL handy but it's by PG Music, lIRC.

Good luck! And I hope you have an asbestos suit because mine is likely the gentlest flame coming your way!

Welcome to the KC.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I don't use them myself, but a drummer friend of mine swears by Inner City Rhythm's loops! I've heard some of the stuff done with their loops and they're pretty good. Some nice rhodes and hammonds.

Have no idea about the volume or range of keyboard related loops they have, but I'd check them out.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Fumbly - as another primary guitarist (though I also play keys, but poorly compared to many of these fine gents), I've always hand-programmed in the piano roll bits of keys that I knew were beyond my capability to actually play on a board. It's time-consuming if you do it properly, but the results are inarguable, particularly when you can fool people with the natural flow.

To that end, couple pieces of advice:

1) When doing runs, unless you specifically intend for them to be staccato, it is a good idea to let the notes overlap one another just a tick or two, to give a cascade effect.

2) An ever so slight bump (again, just a tick or two) low-to-high on the notes of a chord also give an expressive feel, particularly on piano.

PM me if you have questions.

Samples, loops and MIDI parts are fine especially for certain styles of music. But, over time, it dates the music and makes it sound stale.

IMO, it is more rewarding to find musician(s) capable of laying down those parts. The benefit is that it's less time consuming overall and there is another brain involved in the creative process.

Very few musicians can hit the studio by themselves and bang out a masterpiece. Regardless, my point is, great music is usually a collaborative effort involving other musicians. YMMV. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

The ease in which the net allows you to collaborate with people from all over the world makes me wonder why you haven't looked into getting someone else involved with this?

Loops are fine for a time, but once you used the riffs in a song, are you really going to keep using the same riffs in your next hit?

Just sayin....

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Wrong Forum go to Harmony Central.

That's the hospitality we've all come to know and love around here!

:thu:

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Perhaps, BUT at least the OP really went overboard apologizing in advance for the somewhat ill placed question on this forum. Look at his last sentence!

That earned him a pass, at least as far as I'm concerned.

It just seems like "sometimes" we're more likely as a community to render opinion that has less to do with providing a helpful answer than it does wanting to get on our soapbox.

How about question asked, question answered . . . . then opinion on if the question was valid.

Maybe I'm just feeling benevolent this morning! Wait a moment, that will change! :cool:

Well, I'm guilty of not answering the question directly. I gave my opinion to stimulate thinking outside Band-In-A-Box. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I'm going to copy the original post, edit out all instances of "keyboard" and replace them with "guitar", and go post it in the Guitar forum. Wonder what kind of response I'll get? :snax:

I'll wager not as hostile as the vibe you're giving off here.

Considering how many other instruments are "copped" on keys, and how many products are made for key players (including fake guitars) to accomplish that end, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to just "put up" with someone asking the reverse question rather than meeting them with fire and brimstone.

People like that often take work away from us in my experience that is why I said what I did.

People like that often struggle to accomplish the sounds and eventually capitulate and either learn keys or go find someone to play the parts for them, so the net result would be the same as if you didn't act like a chode about it.

I don't care take some lessons. People get the cart before the horse all the time. The OP has some nice influences but I guess I don't get it. I don't feel bad about what I said either.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I'm going to copy the original post, edit out all instances of "keyboard" and replace them with "guitar", and go post it in the Guitar forum. Wonder what kind of response I'll get? :snax:

I'll wager not as hostile as the vibe you're giving off here.

No hostility intended, merely an observation. You wouldn't happen to be observing from your perspective as a guitar player, would you? ;)

Considering how many other instruments are "copped" on keys, and how many products are made for key players (including fake guitars) to accomplish that end, I don't think it's entirely unreasonable to just "put up" with someone asking the reverse question rather than meeting them with fire and brimstone.

No fire, no brimstone, methinks you're reading too much into it. No facepalm or rolling eye smileys in my post, so no sarcasm or disrespect coming from me. Perhaps I'm being judged from past posts? Not quite right, that. ;)

Maybe I should suggest that the OP should ask his guitarist brethren what they use to supplant us dedicated, hard-working instrumentalists? Y'know, get the opinion of those in the same boat? :thu:

Maybe because keyboard players are so much more well-versed in the art of faking other instruments, supplanting other dedicated, hard-working instrumentalists?

You know, horn players, sax players, string orchestras, etc... :thu:

I mean, this was the entire purpose behind the synthesizer industry pretty much from day 1. Let's not forget that even old pump organs had sounds expressly intended to reproduce (no matter how poorly) wind and string instruments...

Yeah, you're right... all other instruments are superfluous.

:evil: Bow before the mighty KRONOS and quake with fear, for the time is at hand when all other instruments shall be cast aside in favor of the obvious master of this domain! :evil:

Ummmm.... sorry, what were we talking about? ;):snax:

Archived