Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A modest proposal [props to J Swift]

d  halfnote

I cannot think of anything that might better this forum for a while than a moratorium on all posts that have to do with "so-&-so = the fastest/youngest/ most amazing virtuoso guitarist".

:deadhorse:

There are many players of stunning technique out there (& in here, too) but they should have some actual musical sophistication rather than just being a monkey playing licks!

An 8 yr old instrumentalist is almost never able to generate any emotional content for their "playing" (in quotes b/c, almost always, it's not musical playing but data regurgitation). It's simply beyond them; reincarnated or not !

[Frankly the same could be said of many popular players who simply have well-practiced technique but nothing to say.]

Art---& music is the oldest, most emotional of them all---needs some communication element.

If the only thing being communicated is how many notes per minute, etc., that's not worth any adult human's interest.

Sorry if you disagree but YOU should examine what you care abt &, maybe, to paraphrase Zappa, go to work inna gas station & get outta the way of those who have a real interest in MUSIC.

d=halfnote

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

true that is.

i feel like that sometimes with the focus on lead. i love hearing cool and creative chords and music and cringe when the band has to play a boring vamp so mr solo can masturbate.

i have been digging some Primus lately because of the killer grooves and lighthearted lyrics.

sure that flight of the bumblebee was freakish but it was interesting to see how the dude has developed his technique to minimize finger movement. and yes it was wasted on a side show display.

In agreement I have to refer to my list of "usual suspects" and bring up James Marshall Hendrix.

One of my favorite tunes of his is "Wait Until Tomorrow", which really doesn't have any "lead", as we here might consider it to be, at all!

Another favorite example of truly fine guitar work is by the guy(whose name I don't recall)who opens up Dobie Gray's "Drift Away".

They call it "The icing on the cake" because the CAKE is the main treat.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived