Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

uninformed opinions sought...

rockkeys

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm as uninformed as they get- and if it were me, I'd get the Receptor. It costs more but it has way more potential than a PC3 does. I'm considering adding one to my rig too.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

I have a PC3 and am considering adding a Receptor (currently in Receptor vs. laptop evaluation).

What kind of sounds are you needing?

PC3 pros: great orchestral, analog, EP sounds. Top-notch as a MIDI controller. Modular synthesis engine (cool if you're into sound design).

Receptor pros depend on the plug-ins you want to run, and for me, Ivory + Lounge Lizard 3 + VB3 + Ultra Analog + various NI VSTs would cover most everything.

However, it's HUGELY expensive to get into if you don't already own the plug-ins (and even then, there can be crossgrade fees). PC3s are blowing out at $1100 or thereabouts.

I make software noises.

However, it's HUGELY expensive to get into if you don't already own the plug-ins (and even then, there can be crossgrade fees). PC3s are blowing out at $1100 or thereabouts.

+1

Also--do you have any experience with rack modules? Some of us don't use them for various reasons (tiny display screens, limited editing, more wires to trip over, etc.)

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I think the receptor is one of those things you do your homework with- get everything set up ahead of time. Once that's done it should be easy to deal with live. It's got inputs on the back for a monitor and keyboard/mouse, so editing is easy that way. Get it all set up, then just call up your patches from the controller. 1 midi wire running to it from the controller.

I think the receptor offers as much sound wise as a Kronos will, and then some. The new version bundled with NI Komplete is about 2100, expensive, but the sounds are awesome. Add in the flexibility of the Receptor in how you can split and layer plugins, it's a pretty viable solution.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Also--do you have any experience with rack modules? Some of us don't use them for various reasons (tiny display screens, limited editing, more wires to trip over, etc.)

Many rack modules, the Motif versions in particular, are a PITA - as described above. Though most have editing software available, that's an additional step: drivers to install, a notebook on the gig (if wanting to edit live). The Receptor offers a simple solution: As it's already a computer, all that's needed is a monitor; instant editing. Some players use small, touchscreen monitors live; simple solution to velcro that to the top of a keyboard, then USB connect to the Receptor.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

The Receptor offers a simple solution: As it's already a computer, all that's needed is a monitor; instant editing. Some players use small, touchscreen monitors live; simple solution to velcro that to the top of a keyboard, then USB connect to the Receptor.

Thanks for that info, Allan. Gives me something to think about.

Of course, I'd like to see a Receptor in actual use... around here it's a miracle just to see a professional keyboard onstage.

:facepalm:

We definitely have those around here. :laugh:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

And I really thought I was reading the initial heading of the post wrong!?

But! UNINFORMED????? What the hell does that mean in this forum? I know some one is just being funny.

This is a very well informed forum if I don't say so myself.

"uninformed"?
Informed opinions are great, but uninformed are just so much more fun to read....but seriously, the title was just an icebreaker, obviously an informed discussion is what I'm trying to get going. On that note...I think the receptor route is looking like the way to go. I already own Ivory, and Ivory upright. I need a killer piano, upright piano, and electric piano sound...a back up organ sound if my organ does go down mid gig...that's all I need. 4 killer sounds. After 10 years of playing a p-200/cp-300 I can't switch to a lighter controller. I wish I could, as those are heavy boards when I'm gigging without a crew. The cp-300 has some pretty good controller capabilities, so I think this is the route. Any suggestions for wurlitzer software?

Does anyone know if Muse Research has financing, or is affiliated with a finance co. (e.g. Household) they can refer you too if you're ready-to-buy but want to do so on credit? At the current price-point for a brand new Receptor Pro Max fully loaded, I figure I'm not the only one who is curious about that. Or maybe they mostly sell to those with 'Rockstar' amounts of cash, in other words (literally) successful artists, labels etc, and those who have saved their hard earned bucks & pay cash.

Does anyone know if Muse Research has financing, or is affiliated with a finance co. (e.g. Household) they can refer you too if you're ready-to-buy but want to do so on credit?

Possible, but not likely. There's always your local bank, or online music stores that let you spread out payments over a few months.

:laugh:

Archived