Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mastering Software

I've been doing some investigations into mastering software. I wonder if anybody has suggestions or opinions on a specific program. I'm looking for PC based software and have read about Sonic Solutions and T racks...any ideas?

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by GZsound@hotmail.com: [b]I've been doing some investigations into mastering software. I wonder if anybody has suggestions or opinions on a specific program. I'm looking for PC based software and have read about Sonic Solutions and T racks...any ideas?[/b][/quote] Try T-Racks 24. Xtremely cool Otherwise, try some plug Ins from WAVES. I really like their L2 Ultramaximizer.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

i've been using Soundforge 5.0 for mastering. real time effects like multi-band compression, paragraphic EQ, wavehammer (volume maximizer), and all sorts of other effects. plus you can use direct x plugins with it too. and yes it supports 24 bit. SactoG
0096 2251 2110 8105

I have Waves L1 & L1+, & T-racks 24. The Waves sounds clean and sterile & and the GUI is very buisness-like, it works well. The T-racks is analog-modeled so not as sterile as the waves L*, but a way more intuitive interface (a 2 year old could run it, like me :) ) and if you want gain, T racks is the king. You can get so much gain out of it, I now do my 2-mixes (analog) with a safe signal to noise ratio, without worring about slamming the levels to get hotness, and then run the 2 mix thru T-racks to get the higher gain without as much original noise.
In two days, it won't matter.

Thanks for the input. I think I'll check out T racks, an analogue "warmth" appeals to me.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

I demoed the izotope, Way to cumbersome, and redundant... all lights and no sound. just my opinion. Stick with the waves stuff, I like the T-racks except it's a stand alone rather than a plug-in. That means opening a project twice, once for fades,edits and then once again for levels. too much work when you're in a hurry, and who isn't in a hurry these days! best Harry

Neither T-Racks or Ozone have EQ on the level of the TL EQ.Supposedly T-Racks will be a plugin in it's next incarnation which will be more useable,but I can't confirm that.To me,mastering incorperates EQ/Compression and stereo image and T-Racks only covers one base and not quite as well as Waves.In fact I like DB audiowares stuff a little better than T-Racks as well, especially the mastering limiter.
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

You gotta tryout Samplitude Producer (or the abbreviated Samplitude Master -- for 2 track mastering). There is no other all-in-one program quite like it: Multiband Compression, 4-band parametric EQ (phase-coherent), compression and maximizing compression, single object editing (break any track into as many "objects" as you want, where you can manipulate EQ, compression, effects, volume, pan, etc.), auto-crossfades and customizeable crossfades, multi-undo, non-destructive, sounds superior, built in CD burning... it just goes on and on. Try a 90 day demo download from Magix.com But it won't take you 90 days to figure this one out... Best wishes. Craigster

Waves Ultramaximizer kicks serious ass!!

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

Archived