Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vintage Vibe

dazzjazz

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah those stackers look great.

I'm having trouble finding them on the Vintage Vibe website, do you have a link please?

They might be just the thing for my Wurlitzer.

Cheers

John

Nord Electro 6D 61, Wurlitzer EP200A, Neo Mini Vent, EV ZLX12P, QSC CP8.

I never saw them on the site either - they offered them to me while I was at the shop and I grabbed them. At that point they said they were the last pair on hand - but that was several weeks ago. You should call - or try Ken Rich's spanners for Wurly, which look different but I am sure work just as well.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

The Ken Rich ones will actually keep the top board flatter if that is your preference. I would have thought that, but I am liking the tilt.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Beethree, looks amazing! Congrats, bruh! Can you adjust the angle of the stackers?

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

No, they are solid rubber wedges. I suppose you could cut them.

If the angle is a problem I would recommend the Ken Rich Wurly ones, which should work.

The angle is probably not as drastic as it looks in that picture taken standing up a few feet back and looking down.

:2thu: I caught his Boston show and have been craving a VV piano ever since. Maybe this spring I'll spring for one

Nord Stage 3 Compact

Nord Stage 2 EX Compact

Korg Kronos 2 73

Mag C2 organ

UHL X3-1 organ

GSI DMC-122 

Radial KL8

Motion Sound Kp500S

Macbook Pro 
Falcon, UVI, Kontakt, Logic, PT

Dave, I see you are in MA. If you want to play one in person without trekking to NJ, send me a PM and we'll make it happen.

What does Shaffer play? I can see him playing the brass lines on his Fantom but the other patch I cannot hear.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

• 2 weeks later...

Paid a visit to the Vintage Vibe shop last Wed and wanted to recount my experience.

First, a bit of backstory: I recently acquired a VV branded Wurly that was in need of repair due to neglect. So my idea was why not take it to the source? Also, I've been considering buying one of their custom pianos and this way I could test drive one while there.

So, I rented a car and drove out from Brooklyn. A nice, relaxing drive out of the city after lunch and before rush hour.

I brought the piano around to the loading dock and was greeted by Adam, the Master Wurly Tech. After explaining the state of the piano to him, he took a look and called James, one of the Electronics Techs over and I was informed this unit was an early prototype run. The decision was made to swap out the old Amplifier PCB board for a new one, put reed bar shields on, put on a new Aux Out with Shielded Cable in as well as a Speaker Kill Switch.

Adam and James fully listened to my needs and offered their expert advice and assesments in a truly responsive and holistic manner.

When the work order was filled out, I then asked about trying one of their custom pianos and I was directed to Jon. We chatted a bit and he then set me up in a side room with a Deluxe Active 73 running through a Fender DeVille....

Whoa! I was in heaven!

I could not believe the sound and responsiveness of this piano......I could have played it all day and night.

I've been playing Rhodes of all kinds since I was 15....and this was like the recorded best of all of them rolled into one.

Granted, every Rhodes is different-even from the same year.... And I don't want to discount the unique charcter, inherent tonal quailty and overall personality of all the great instruments I've played and heard over my years---but, I think the VV piano may be even better.

It can sound bright, dark, full, narrow, biting, rich and mellow. And everything in between...

After I tore myself away from the piano, I thanked Jon for the opportunity and he was super cool and gracious.

I told he and Greg (assembly tech) that I see one their instruments in my near future.

A Deluxe Active 64. Weighs less than my Wurly. Fits in the backseat of a car. I can pick it up myself if I have to. Yeah, I'll miss the classic 73 range, but the tradeoffs for this stage of my work are worth it.

I wrapped up with Erick, Adam and James and said goodbye to Jon and Greg.

On the drive back, I had THAT sound in my head and it's stayed in there

The Guys at Vintage really care passionately about electromechanical instruments and are truly on a mission.

It's so heartening to see an American company dedicated to the highest level of craftsmanship, care and, yes, love.

Yeah, I still have my Nord and will conitinue to use it for jams and small gigs.

But the VV has my heart and soul.

Their instruments, well maintained, will probably outlive me.

Yeah, i am building one into my upcoming budget....fall 2015.

I know there is much discussion about economic factors in relation to gear purchases and investments on this board and elsewhere.

But, the overriding factors in that area (for me) are:

1) True cost to own----

Yeah, the pianos are a expensive up front---but a Nord Stage 2 88 is about $4200 street and you get, AP, EP, Organ and Synth but in 5-7 years it may need an upgrade---even considering Nord's excellence in keeping their legacy instruments relevant. And, really, how many compromises do you make with ANY all in one board?

2)Appreciation/Depreciation----

Speaks for itself: how hard is it to get reasonable prices for used modern gear??????

If you know what you are doing and treat a VV (or Rhodes/Wurly/Clav/Hammond) with respect and proper upkeep, you will see appreciation in its value---

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts with my forum brothers and talk about some larger issues that sometimes get buried or obscured in the usual discussions.

I'll post more when go back to pick up my Wurly.

JK out.

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

The Guys at Vintage really care passionately about electromechanical instruments and are truly on a mission.

Agreed. Been a few years since I've driven there myself but my story is similiar. BTW, Chris Carroll is in this months Keyboard Magazine. Vintage Vibe make the "keyboard world" a better place.

:nopity:

When I lived in NJ, my old bassist and his wife gave me her Rhodes Stage 73. It had been in their basement for years and needed a lot of work.

I took it to VV (about 30 minutes from where I lived, so pretty convenient), and they worked closely with me to determine what I wanted and how much I wanted to spend.

In the end, they gave it a full once over, cleaned it, tuned it, replaced parts that needed replacing, leveled the keyboard, tweaked the action, and made it bark like a dog when you spanked it.

Cost me $1000 to get it to that shape and she's still howling a few years later. Well worth the cost and they contacted me at every step of the way if they had any questions about costs.

I'd gladly use them again for repairs of any electromechanical keyboard.

Nord Stage 2 SW73, Kurzweil PC3LE7, Moog Sub 37, Alesis Ion, Rhodes Stage 73, Moog Werkstatt-01, Yamaha CP-300

-------------

Knock knock

Who's there?

Interrupting synthesizer

Interrup-MOOOOOOOOOG

Governor, if you drop the hammer on the VV, it will be like meeting your soulmate rather than a tawdry fling! :)

(I may be wandering into dangerous territory with this metaphor!)

Robert Bosch, 1919

• 3 weeks later...

I hadn't seen this until now. It's not going to change my bank account so I'm still unable to purchase an EP or Vibanet from them but I'm glad they are doing what they do.

[video:youtube]

:nopity:

Archived