Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oh Yngwie...

GreySeraph

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I recently found out about Yngwie Malmsteen both recently, and randomly while reading a guitar blog. Unfortunately I don't remember which one it was, as I would like to be able to give credit to the person that informed me of his existence.

Anyway, his bio on Pandora.com says that "Yngwie Malmsteen is arguably the most technically accomplished hard rock guitarist to emerge during the '80s. Combining a dazzling technique honed over years of obsessive practice with a love for such classical composers as Bach, Beethoven, and Paganini, Malmsteen's distinctively Baroque, gothic compositional style and lightning-fast arpeggiated solos rewrote the book on heavy metal guitar."

Based on the quote above, he must have been joking if he said he never practiced.

I'm sure he wrote that bio, too. :D

He's also the only guitarist I'm aware of that ever needed the frets dug out of his guitar in order to be able to play it properly. Difference between him and someone like Rhodes is that Rhodes played all those insane licks on LP's, Explorers, Flying V's, whatever you handed him. Ever see Yngwie play "Blackstar" on anything but his scalloped-fret Fenders?

Yngwie on acoustic is a big downgrade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLGPXDDzi_M

Al DiMeola articulates on acoustic far better than that (and faster, I might add), as do dozens of other fusion and flamenco players out there.

what about KK Downing and Richie Blackmore?

Considering that YJM's tone on electric is killer i can't knock him for playing his favorite Strats.

for what it is worth i can think of lots of blues based players who spew out the same comfort zone licks over and over and we all get wet with their Godly abilities.

what about KK Downing and Richie Blackmore?

Downing, well, he's Downing. ;)

Blackmore I've seen do his thing on all sorts of axes. He never used the scalloped frets as a crutch.

I don't see how having a preference for a scalloped fret board on a Strat is a crutch.

isn't it just a preference?

:rawk:

IMHO both YJM and Blackmore chose scalloped Strats as their main weapon because of the awesome tone for those classically inspired runs.

Note : more shred style players seem to favor 25.5 inch scale strat style guitars it seems.

even though YJM is arrogant and seems stuck in a loop i can't trash him. he isn't alone in arrogance or repetition of licks.

he is making money doing his thing.

he sure has gained a lot of "air" time here on the forum after his interview in GP.

there have been more articles on old dogs who haven't changed since their early 70"s glory days.

KK and Priest ( especially Glenn ) sure went beyond their blues riffing styles by continuing to learn new tricks.

quite a stretch from Rocka Rolla to Angel of Retribution!

Scalloped frets, in my experience, basically make a number of things a lot easier - speed runs being first and foremost, because they force you to have a lighter touch than you would if there were wood underneath you. Of course, vibrato is a cinch on a scalloped fret neck too - and the sustain is crazy, which can cover for a great deal of technical shortcomings.

i still would not consider a scalloped fretboard to be a "crutch".

it does require a lighter touch and allows you to dig in for a real expressive vibrato. but you have to control it. the sustain thing is debatable, clearer notes and less muting from the flesh of the finger.

probably kick ass for tapping and hammering due to less friction.

but so is low action a skinny strings.

i guess i am hung up on the idea of calling scalloped fretboards a "CRUTCH".

a tool or preference that can or can not help you is the description i would give it.

before i get done kicking this dead horse and allow the vultures circling overhead to finally settle on the rotting corpse and have a lunch i would like to state what i know about Yngwie.

he has kick ass tone, very kick ass

he likes himself

confidence isn't a bad thing

he is best taken in small doses

he is very successful

he has jacks installed and wired into every room of his house and hooked up to Marshall amps so he can plug in any time (very cool, my wife wouldn't allow that)

he can frikin shred

he needs to go Bach ( heh heh) and discover his influences again to see some of the coolness of laying Bach a little can add.

he seems happier than some metal players who frown all the time like they are constipated

he is less annoying than most self important rappers

he is talented

i think he would be cool to hang out with for a day. probably would be awesome just checking out all his Strats.

he is cooler than Kirk Hammet

:D

now i can pick this horse meat off my boots

Joe Satriani came through KC and did a clinic at a local guitar store just after the G3 tour he & Vai did with ol' Yng-ie, and he didn't have anything bad to say about him. What he said was that with his gear working right and the band playing his tunes the way he liked, he was a happy man. What more could any of us ask?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

i still would not consider a scalloped fretboard to be a "crutch".

it does require a lighter touch and allows you to dig in for a real expressive vibrato. but you have to control it. the sustain thing is debatable, clearer notes and less muting from the flesh of the finger.

probably kick ass for tapping and hammering due to less friction.

but so is low action a skinny strings.

i guess i am hung up on the idea of calling scalloped fretboards a "CRUTCH".

It's only a crutch when someone demonstrates obvious deficiencies playing on a different instrument.

Search YT for Yngwie Acoustic and listen to him play stuff he does at every show, and listen to his tone and articulation on an acoustic. It goes straight to hell. Can he still play better than me? Sure. I ain't worshiping that god, though, after hearing Rhodes do it all on some of the most challenging necks on the market (LP, V, SG) for speed playing. I stand by my statement made on other YJM-related threads - were it not for that plane crash, YJM would have spent his entire career in Randy's shadow, at least until Randy finally went through with his intention to go flamenco and leave rock.

he has kick ass tone, very kick ass

Yes, yes he does. Can't argue that.

he likes himself

No question of this.

confidence isn't a bad thing

Have you ever met him in person? My wife did. The first thing he said to her (he was dating a friend of hers) was "Hi, I'm Yngwie Malmsteen. I'm sure you've heard of me?" - she responded, flatly, "Nope, can't say the name sounds familiar..." (mind you, she was playing at that time, so she obviously was aware of him) He was so stunned he didn't know what to say after that.

he is best taken in small doses

I can tolerate Black Star once in a while. Everything else I've ever heard sounds like a really dorky rock motif with completely out-of-context soloing over top. If he had a clue how to write a song, I might actually be able to put aside the arrogance - but his music isn't something particularly enjoyable. I shouldn't have to choke back vomit to get through an album.

he is very successful

No argument here.

he has jacks installed and wired into every room of his house and hooked up to Marshall amps so he can plug in any time (very cool, my wife wouldn't allow that)

Eh. Not the most eccentric thing I've ever heard from a guitarist. I suppose the utility value is there...

he can frikin shred

Yes, he can do that.

he needs to go Bach ( heh heh) and discover his influences again to see some of the coolness of laying Bach a little can add.

Yep. He also needs to refer to some other composers, and discover that cliche metal chord progressions and/or pedaling a single chord are not the only options for interesting and simultaneously "impressive" lead work.

he seems happier than some metal players who frown all the time like they are constipated

They aren't as rich as he is. :D

he is less annoying than most self important rappers

True, but only marginally.

he is talented

One of the more aggravating parts to me - he IS talented, and he COULD do so much more than he does, yet he chooses to do that one thing that he really does effortlessly instead of maybe investing some energy into real, genuine songwriting instead of a chord bed over which to show off his chops.

he is cooler than Kirk Hammett

Got me there! :D

as for composition, Yngwie thinks too much like a solo violinist who is allowed to choose the backup music.

but that is what he loves to hear.

where RR was more of a composer who played guitar to achieve what he wanted the piece to say using the rhythm ( chord structure )as much as the lead.

of course my fave classically flavored guitar solo ever is Revelation mother earth..total kick ass

what is wrong with YJM's acoustic skill is that he excels on the electric and makes the acoustic seem bad. and a piezo doesn't give killer tone.

thought you may like my Hammet dig. :D

as for composition, Yngwie thinks too much like a solo violinist who is allowed to choose the backup music.

No shit. ;)

but that is what he loves to hear.

He loves to hear glam-rock riffing with obnoxious solos? :freak:

what is wrong with YJM's acoustic skill is that he excels on the electric and makes the acoustic seem bad. and a piezo doesn't give killer tone.

As I said earlier - I can line up a hundred guys who could embarass Yngwie on an acoustic - even if Yngwie had his strat.

thought you may like my Hammet dig. :D

:thu:

I have been listening to Yngwie on YouTube since this and the other thread here have been active for a bit now. I posted on the other thread that he has talent but gets boring to me. After listening some more, he does do some amazing things both technique and music wise, check out how echo etude.

I guess my problem is that I just have a thing against arrogant people. I haven't ever met him, but every interview I have read has him coming across as insufferable, so that clouds my judgement on how I percive his music.

All that aside, I still find his body of work to be boring. Usually to loud and too fast, just because you can be loud and fast doesn't mean you always have to play that way. I am sure he has the talent to do subtle musical things, but chooses to take the easy way out and almost always just shreds. The thing is, he is still a relatively young man, and could take that talent and evolve into a better musician. Wishfull thinking?

One thing that successful musicians (and other artists) have to deal with is type-casting.

Were Yngwie to develop a slow, sensitive side and release an album in that vein, what would happen? Would his fans accept it? Would his detractors take his slow, sensitive side seriously - Yngwie the ballad king or something?

I remember a review of a Pat Martino concert, where Pat played some slow stuff, but when he started playing his patented virtuoso lines (which I love, BTW) the audience came alive... that's what they wanted to hear. Pat may well have been just as proud of the slow stuff, or more so...

It has always been my feeling that arrogance is a requirement to some extent for getting on a stage, doing an act etc.

Some players control it better than others, some players are humble, but there are also a lot of tools out there.

My theory is that large amounts of applause spawns arrogance and I've been there to some degree - it isn't intentional and it's really difficult to control.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

It has always been my feeling that arrogance is a requirement to some extent for getting on a stage, doing an act etc.

Some players control it better than others, some players are humble, but there are also a lot of tools out there.

My theory is that large amounts of applause spawns arrogance and I've been there to some degree - it isn't intentional and it's really difficult to control.

I disagree. It may be prevalent, but by no means is it mandatory. I've toured for 2 decades with what is arguably the most famous string quartet in the world, & they are simply the most consistently humble players I work with. It's always 100% about the music, & 0% about their personalities, & I find at their level of professionalism & accomplishment that this is actually a pretty common trait. Of course, I don't work with rock & rollers, so that's a whole other thing.

Scott Fraser

Probably I should have qualified the statement other than saying "to some extent" plus I would imagine the classical guys are not in the same space at all.

In 1967 I bought one of the first production Dodge R/T convertibles with 440 cubes and 375 horses. My bass player at age 18 had a Plymouth GTX same colour & specs. We were getting air-play maybe 20 to 35 times a day or more on local AM radio - almost every half-hour on some stations. On the other hand there may have been some payola involved but it was minor $$$ compared to what was going on in the USA...that's a story for another day.

We were really young and became one of the top groups in this area almost overnight (about 3 years) , it was VERY difficult not to get swelled heads - I was making more $$$ than my Dad by working week-ends playing guitar - it was like a fairy-tale.

In the days before radar we were pulling trailers full of gear bouncing the speedometers off the top speed @ 135 mph on the expressway between Montreal and Sherbrooke, Quebec in the middle of the night after gigs. Sometimes I wonder how we survived on those skinny wide-oval (not radial) tires and bad brakes.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

Archived