Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Used XP-50 or used X-50, Juno Di or MM6 or something else?

headhunter636

I am glad I stumbled upon this forum, I have been trying to decide on a new (or used) synth to replace my worn out JV-80.

I have narrowed it down to a few new machines, Korg X-50, Roland Juno Di or a Yamaha MM6. I think I have almost all but eliminated the MM6 because it really seems a little flimsy in build quality and the 32 poly is a bit lacking. I have also been looking into some used synths as well and right now I have my eye on a Roland XP-50. I like the feel of my JV-80 so I am assuming the XP-50 will be about the same, only with a little more horsepower.

I am no pro, and this would be for home use, set-up in a studio environment. So mobility is not a big issue. My music style is a little bit of everything, but I mostly write for piano and I like ambient sounds, pads, strings, voices and synths.

Any opinions would be great, I havent shopped for a keyboard since I bought my JV-80 new back in 1991, however, I have tried all the above mentioned synths out at the store. I realize that a new synth that is in the $600 - $700 range will be sacrificing build quality and a few other things, which is why I am considering used. I am also trying to find a used Triton LE or Motif 6, if the price is right.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Dave

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Korg X-50, Roland Juno Di or a Yamaha MM6. I think I have almost all but eliminated the MM6 because it really seems a little flimsy in build quality and the 32 poly is a bit lacking.

The X50 is pretty flimsy too. It also has a questionable piano patch(es), the bread and butter sounds on the MM6 are much better IMO, while the synthy stuff is better on the X50. The X50 has a terrible keybed.

The screen on my MM6 flickers and has wavy lines. :rolleyes: Other than that, I haven't had a problem with it. The 32 note polyphony doesn't bother me much, it's "true" polyphony i.e. it's not made up of elements or partials, it can play 32 notes unless they are sampled in stereo.

If it's only for home use, then it would be a real shame to get a keyboard with poor action (especially for piano). And that would be all the keyboards you name. The X50 in particular is really terrible. If I remember right, the Roland XP50 had a somewhat better keybed than those others. There are so many used keyboards being bought and sold. You might find, for instance, a Kurzweil SP, which at least has a little bit better action.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Thanks for all the input so far. I have heard of issues with the keybeds on Rolands, which is the reason I am replacing my JV-80. The keys are still solid and I have had no issues with the weights, I do also like the key action as well. However, when I last turned it on a couple of months ago, about 9 keys in the middle octave range were all dead. Otherwise, I would have just been looking for a module for new sounds and use the JV as a controller.

I have not looked into Kurzweil SP, I will have to take a look at that.

I too have heard that the X50 has a horrible piano which is really too bad. How is the piano on a Triton LE in comparison?

The MM6 had quite a few impressive features for the price, but the limited editing really bothers me. I always enjoyed creating new sounds.

I have located a used Motif 6 for about $650 and a used X50 for about $350, although the add says he did not like the Camo, so he painted it blue with white clouds.

I am now leaning towards the Motif 6 and possibly a Juno Di (I seem to go back to Roland). But I will wait to see if I hear back from the X50 guy. I could always pair the X50 with a piano soft synth I suppose.

Thanks again,

Dave

The Korg M50 could prob be found in that price range and would be a big step up sonically from most of what you've mentioned, but the keybed action is pretty lousy. Stay away from a Motif- very poor interface! The Roland Di looks fun, has mic input and lots of fun features. The new Korg PS-60 would prob be great for your needs.

Being that you only need it for home, if you take your time and research this, you should be able to find something a few years old that has 88 notes, built in speakers, decent sound, etc., in a digital piano format (as opposed to a synth format). Nothing beats 88 notes if you want to play piano! built-in speakers can be great, esp. if they're halfway decent- stereo sound optimally placed!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win11 laptop // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I should have mentioned that I have a piano already. As for a digital piano over a synth, I have a love for synths. I have been amazed with these things since I first saw a DX7 and M1 and bought my Kawai K1II. I realy enjoy creating new sounds or trying to copy something I hear. For me, part of the joy of a synth is editing the patch to meet my needs, which usually leads to new song inspiration.

Dave

I should have mentioned that I have a piano already. As for a digital piano over a synth, I have a love for synths. I have been amazed with these things since I first saw a DX7 and M1 and bought my Kawai K1II. I realy enjoy creating new sounds or trying to copy something I hear. For me, part of the joy of a synth is editing the patch to meet my needs, which usually leads to new song inspiration.

Dave

Do you have any softsynths/vsti's? Is that a route you want to go? You could always get a used synth and something like Dimension Pro to go with it:

I went from a jv-30 to an xp-50 back when it was new. The jv-30 keyboard was falling apart on me. The xp-50 had a horrible interface for setting up sounds, combis, and sequences. The sounds and effects were decent. I think a Juno di would be light years ahead of an xp50.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I just got done reading some of the "Hall of fame/shame" posts and I have come to the conclusion that my first post should have started like this:

Ladies, I am looking to replace my JV-80.

As for softsynths, I have the Korg Legacy and the FM7. I like them, but last time I used them I had issues with latency in real time. I was connected via MIDI cable to a Soundblaster Audigy Platinum MIDI interface using ASIO drivers. Has there been any advancement in latency in the last couple of years?

Dave

Has there been any advancement in latency in the last couple of years?

Dave

With even an entry level audio interface like M-Audio, and the proper settings, there should be no discernable latency for most softsynths these days. Not an issue.

The Triton LE is a generation older than the X50, so it has even worse piano. The followup was the Korg TR, which added another 32 MB of samples, among them a better piano, derived from the Oasys. The X50 is a TR minus sequencer, but more portable (lower weight). Along with its little brother the Micro-X it also has a VST editor, which is not available for the TR.

I own both a 76 key TR and the Micro-X and I can say that the piano on both is pretty bad and even worse in the Micro-X which only has the Triton LE and M1 pianos (the Micro-X has a different wave ROM than the TR/X50, the first 32 megs is from the LE, but the other 32 MB is mostly used for drums and oriental sounds). They both have some nice rhodes and wurlitzer though - and besides organ, which also could be better, they do most of the other kinds of sounds very good, IMHO.

The keybed of the TR is so so, but you have quite good dynamic control with it. I also have a Roland XP30 and for that it's the opposite - the keyboard feels great, but the sounds just doesn't respond the way you want them to.

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

The X50 is a TR minus sequencer

There are a few other differences... including aftertouch on the TR, which I think is especially nice if you're actually looking to do synth stuff on it.

As for a new board in this price range, I'd probably lean toward the PS60, if it's okay that a lot of the deeper editing can only be done via computer.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Let me muddy the waters a bit more and ask if anyone has experience with the Juno Stage? I have seen one new, marked down to $800. It is about out of my budget range, but I could swing it if it would be worth it.

Thanks again for the help. I plan on going to the music store tomorrow and give them all another try.

Dave

Dave, I own a Roland XP-50, and it has pretty much a little of everything...what you describe plus various odd sounds, whooshy pads, organs, a flute or three, quasi-Rhodes/electric piano sounds, and more. Has several drum kits, reverb and delay, that kind of thing. It's also not very heavy, in case that is a concern. I gigged with it, beating the crap out of it for ten years, and it still works fine. It has a little bit of every sort of sound, if that's important to you, and while few of the sounds by themselves are amazing, the keyboard does a lot and has many sounds.

Let me muddy the waters a bit more and ask if anyone has experience with the Juno Stage? I have seen one new, marked down to $800. It is about out of my budget range, but I could swing it if it would be worth it.

Thanks again for the help. I plan on going to the music store tomorrow and give them all another try.

Dave

I think they've been discontinued, hence the price drop. But I could be wrong.

I've messed with one a few times at Best Buy. I thought the action was pretty good, sounds are limited but decent - it's expandable though. If I remember, it doesn't have a TON of sounds. I thought editing was fairly intuitive.

Maybe check it out and see if it has enough sounds for you. I think at the lower price, it wouldn't be a bad choice. Plus, you'd be getting a new item instead of used.

Stuff and things.

Dave

I think they've been discontinued, hence the price drop. But I could be wrong.

You're correct, discontinued.

Let me muddy the waters a bit more and ask if anyone has experience with the Juno Stage?

I've read various negative reviews regarding the Juno series over the last year--poor build quality and screen issues.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Let me muddy the waters a bit more and ask if anyone has experience with the Juno Stage?

I've read various negative reviews regarding the Juno series over the last year--poor build quality and screen issues.

I thought that it was just the Juno G that had screen problems. I hadn't read that about the Stage. I'd better do some Googling.
Stuff and things.

I own and gig with a Juno Stage.

It gets no love on any forum I subscribe to - but I think it's great for a live player.

I play piano and found the action very easy to get used to and there are enough sounds in there that I can cover most of the stuff I do - folk, the function band repertoire, a stint with a funk outfit, piano accompaniment and some electronic stuff for clubs.

However I think the soundcard suggestion is worth trying first. An M-Audio 24/96 audiophile has stable drivers and is inexpensive. I got my second one on EBay a few years back for £20. VSTs are great - if you're not gigging out, that'd be my tuppence worth.

Good luck on your bargain hunt.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

The information provided has been great, so I took some time and went to my local store to play with the Korg X50, Roland Juno Di, Juno Gi, Yamaha MM6 and MO6 along with a Korg M50 and for the heck of it, a Korg M3.

I decided against both of the Yamaha machines, I just didn't think they had the editing capabilities I am looking for. I also had to count out the M3 because I love my wife and she would probably kick me out to live in the M3s box. The M50 seemed nice, but just a bit out of my range for now.

That all being said, I have narrowed it down to the Juno Gi, Di or X50. I did not like the display on the X50, seemed a bit hard to read but that could have been the display model angle or something. But I have heard the editing software for the Korg is pretty good while the software for the Juno Di is pretty bad and the Juno Gi is a bit more than I want to spend.

Sometime this week, I will flip a quarter and see who wins, Juno Di or X50. After hearing them, they both have strengths as well as weaknesses, but I don't think either one would be a bad purchase. If I go Korg and the piano is just horrible, I can find a software piano (the one with Sonar doesn't sound too bad) and the Roland seems to have pretty good stuff right out of the box.

Thanks again for the input.

If anyone is till reading this lengthy thread, what would a "mint" Yamaha DX7 II/FD go for these days? While searching for used stuff, I came across one. I have always wanted one of these since the 80s and I first started in keyboards and thought it would look cool hanging on the wall or something.

Dave

I did not like the display on the X50, seemed a bit hard to read but that could have been the display model angle or something.

Dave

The display is fine for reading the main patch names. As you said, you'll probably be doing editing with a computer, which is an excellent program.

The combis on the X50 are amazing. I never really bonded with mine, I think it's partially because I prefer acoustic-sounding patches, and I don't like the Korg reverbs in general.

I also had to count out the M3 because I love my wife and she would probably kick me out to live in the M3s box.

In all fairness, it is an excellent box, and unless you live somewhere really cold... :laugh:

The main advantage of the x50 is that it's insanely light, but still has a full size 5 octave keyboard and decent controllers.

Since the OP justs wants a board for home, I'm not sure the x50 is the best choice though. Insane amount of programming and layering options, but there's something about the sound that's always sort of hazy and unsatisfying. Less full than analog, less clear than digital. Why I didn't buy a microkorg xl, similar sonic vibe.

The x50 piano improves if you go into the Global menu and shut off all the effects, fwiw. Then again, I'm not an official pianist.

Archived