Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

mondocello??

duff beer

I was going through the DVR and watched Cheap Trick on Austin City Limits (originally aired on New Year's day). Robin Zander is playing what looks like an 8-string guitar...one of the comments says it is a mondocello? I've never seen one before. Does anyone know anything about these? How are they normally tuned?:

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like a cello, strings tuned in pairs. the mandocello is to the cello as the mandolin is to the violin.

Cheap Trick has a song called "Mandocello" on one of their 70s records... can't remember which one right now (maybe "Heaven Tonight?"). Rick Neilson had an Explorer-shaped Hamer Mandocello that he would play on that song live.

That's the same one...

note: It's on the first self-titled record.

Here a version where Rick plays an Ovation acoustic mandocello...

[video:youtube]

I know a guy who plays electric mandolin and mandocello in a jamband... his mandocello is only 4 strings (kills the effect for me) but it has a whammy bar and he does some crazy stuff with it.

There's a You Tube video I can recommend, "Mike Marshall on mandocello" where does this great Bach piece.

Mike is mostly known as a mandolinist, but he can play most any stringed instrument well.

I would love to have a mandocello, but I'm already way over-extended, and can only afford to buy instruments I would actually PLAY regularly, especially on stage. (Which is why I never bought an electric sitar.)

Archived