Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha KX-88 owners...

kalpajazz

I have a KX-88 bought a year ago, and has the next problem with the key velocity: In the velocity range below 80 works in a normal way... but with values higher, velocity jump abruptly 80 to 91, then to 110, then 115 and then to 127!!!! (these values are measured through MIDI-OX). My question is: this is a problem in my unit or occurs in all the KX??? Thank you for your help!!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I used a KX-88 for a few years back in the 1980's, so my memory is a bit fuzzy....but my guess is that your unit is behaving as designed. Seems I recall reading comments on folks having velocity issues with the KX-88 over the years. Sorry I can't be more precise......

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I have a KX-88 bought a year ago, and has the next problem with the key velocity: In the velocity range below 80 works in a normal way... but with values higher, velocity jump abruptly 80 to 91, then to 110, then 115 and then to 127!!!! (these values are measured through MIDI-OX). My question is: this is a problem in my unit or occurs in all the KX??? Thank you for your help!!!

It´s hard to say if your unit is malfunctioning or not.

I owned a KX888 for many years, gigged and recorded heaviliy w/ it and never had this issue.

I also own a KX76 which is the same electronics but limited to a max velocity of 105 which I compensate w/ a EES M3 Velocity Converter.

It´s all relative because the transmission of velocity values depends on your touch and the implemented velocity curve of the controller.

How did you test the transmission of velocity values ?

By just only playing ?

If there are significant jumps in velocity values, it can be, electronic parts called "converters" have to be replaced.

Technically, the key travel and speed has to be measured and converted into a MIDI information,- this is done by converter(s) and the processor.

If all the other functions of the keyboard work w/o any issues, I doubt it´s the processor causing the prob.

I had this case w/ MIDI controllers not working correctly on a old Yamaha MIDI controller keyboard.

It can also be, the keyboard contacts responsible for velocity are worn out or dirty,- or both.

I never opened a KX and removed the keybed,- so it might be it doesn´t have the todays standard rubber contact strip under the keybed,- Yamaha always went their own way in the past.

But, maybe, it has and you have luck.

These old keyboards are extremely rugged and road worthy, so I´d suspect the electronics.

A.C.

I owned a KX888 for many years, gigged and recorded heaviliy w/ it and never had this issue.
Wow! That must have been HUGE!!!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Wow! That must have been HUGE!!!

He, he,- I had roadies,- always :-)

Today, it would be great to have one for my office computer keyboard too.

A.C.

I miss my KX76 - that had such a nice action. Cryptic progamming though.

I kept it because of the action, is so fast triggering w/ synth (and organ) stuff.

Progamming is limited because of the pre-programmed MIDI controllers IMO.

Changing that is possible w/ a program which understands HEX but allows usage of icons for most common MIDI controllers like wheels, knobs, sliders and pedals .

The only one I´ve found and which I used was C-Lab Midia for Atari ST,- worked.

Today, I use a Miditemp PMM88E which makes a monster MIDI controller rig out of all my connected keyboards, regardless how dumb these are MIDI wise.

Using [single], [Dual] and [split] mode on the KX in addition and on the fly is amazingly flexible.

A.C.

My kx-88 is down right now, but I never noticed that happening. Def try cleaning the contacts. It's not too much of a beast to do. I'll see if I still have my pics of the process

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

Archived