Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What is an Internet Troll?

picker

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What is the personality disorder behind this? I wonder.

Apparently,Internet Troll Personality Disorder is becoming a real enough problem that the American Psychiatric Association has given it that name...

Do you think this kind of posting they are talking about? The troll PMed me with this today...

(redacted)

THAT'S what's commonly called "trolling" , folks. Don't feed the the troll...

Actually, posting PM's on a public forum is a classic troll move, much more so than PM'ing someone with a bunch of nonsense like that.

Unfortunately, you seem to be unaware of this...

Umm, what ppl are talking about here seems to me to be 'serial nuicance' rather than a 'troll'. My understanding of a 'troll' is a poster who starts a thread with a question that is designed to make trouble of some sort - this definition is the best I could find quickly :

http://curezone.com/forums/troll.asp

"What is an Internet Troll/ Forum troll?

An "Internet troll" or "Forum Troll" or "Message Board Troll" is a person who posts outrageous message to bait people to answer. Forum Troll delights in sowing discord on the forums. A troll is someone who inspires flaming rhetoric, someone who is purposely provoking and pulling people into flaming discussion. Flaming discussions usually end with name calling and a flame war."

An example of a troll posting here might go something like this:

"I am looking for the best place to find bass tabs on the internet - can you list you top 3 favorite sites please?"

btw the OP seems to have accidentally made a troll post judging by the responses!

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

Yawn.

Picker this is pretty much what got the other three guys banned or at least made them walk away, I don't know who left and who was banned but there was a lot of bad feeling and a bunch of other good posters stopped posting for a few months too..

If the two of you have issues grow up, get the mods involved or just ignore it.

I don't have a problem with it. I either ignore it or give as good as I get. I'm not taking part in this debate any further.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Umm, what ppl are talking about here seems to me to be 'serial nuicance' rather than a 'troll'.

I stand corrected. Lix is a serial nuisance. Thanx, slowfinger.

Griff, I don't think Lix is ashamed of anything she PMed at me. Frankly, it's just more of the same flaming she posted in public.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

... this is pretty much what got the other three guys banned or at least made them walk away, I don't know who left and who was banned but there was a lot of bad feeling and a bunch of other good posters stopped posting for a few months too..

Ah, the fun we had when some posters were piling on another poster about the member playing Christian music with the apparently "unChristian" avatar and moral angst about musical selections, then that poster was assigning various social and mental disorders to people participating in the thread.

Ah, good times. Maury, Matt and Brian were there. I was there. Picker was there. And Griff! Yeah, you were there too! And Davio! Good times ... good, good times.

Maury - banned

Brian - banned

Matt - fed up and left

Davio - Ain't seen him in a while

A bunch of amature social scientist and arm-chair psychologist with degrees from "Google U" analyzing a member that is problably largely fictional - PRICELESS!

(In all deferrence to HL, I won't repeat the PMs to and from me, and I understand where HL is coming from, but I'm not 100% sold that HL isn't at least paritially a plant)

I don't have a problem with it. I either ignore it or give as good as I get. I'm not taking part in this debate any further.

Stop talking CrAzY! I'm sure if I go to Google, I'll find a disorder for this kinda talk.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Actually, posting PM's on a public forum is a classic troll move, much more so than PM'ing someone with a bunch of nonsense like that.

Unfortunately, you seem to be unaware of this...

Yeah, that.

I said it, and I meant every word. What he didn't post was the PM's that led up to it.

Anyway, if I were a plant I think I would like to be a nice Bouganvillea or Gladiola.

An army of me

Remember the good old days when responding to someone's post, you could use their words and say something like:

You're a plant.

http://www.foliageunlimited.net/images/Ficus.jpg

And it was all in fun.

Mine was in fun....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

I said it, and I meant every word. What he didn't post was the PM's that led up to it.

I give the moderators any permission they require(if they require any) to open that and any other threads they need to in my messages, and see that Hotlix86 is the ONLY person to post a message in it. There were no PMs that led up to it. You're not only a serial nuisance, lix, you're a liar too. Or is that just part of your serial nuisancing?

Aww, jeez...

We go away for a few days to see our grandson and sh*t happens! What did I miss?

Uh, nuthin, looks like.

Come on, kids. Play nice, grow up, or just go away. Sheesh.

Queen of the Quarter Note

"Think like a drummer, not like a singer, and play much less." -- Michele C.

I'd be really p-ed off if someone posted one of my PMs in public. Man, that's not on!

I'm not beholden to keep insults and rudeness concealed from the forum at large just because they are sneaked in under the group radar. I didn't ask her to PM me, nor was her message a response to a PM from me. I didn't even respond to the PM in question. He/she/it vomited bilious insults on me because that's the kind of person the troll/serial nuisance/you-name-it operates. THAT'S what's not on, Phil.

Oh well, I forwarded the PM to the moderator, we'll see what he thinks of it.

I have no doubt he will tell you the same thing he did last time you went to him/them.

I had a sister like you. She would tease and antagonize until I would fight back and then run and tell Mom and deny starting it.

Picker, I tried to make friends with you. In return you call me names and try your very best to set me up as a terrible person and get me kicked off this forum. I just don't get you.

An army of me

I'd be really p-ed off if someone posted one of my PMs in public. Man, that's not on!

I'm not beholden to keep insults and rudeness concealed from the forum at large just because they are sneaked in under the group radar. I didn't ask her to PM me, nor was her message a response to a PM from me. I didn't even respond to the PM in question. He/she/it vomited bilious insults on me because that's the kind of person the troll/serial nuisance/you-name-it operates. THAT'S what's not on, Phil.

Oh well, I forwarded the PM to the moderator, we'll see what he thinks of it.

That's what you should have done in the first place, instead of airing your dirty laundry here.

Way to make a mountain out of a molehill. :rolleyes:

Archived