Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

They say bad news comes in threes (Billy Taylor)

Joe Muscara

I don't believe it, and for most of you, two of the people are ones you didn't know so the "three" don't go together. Here they are anyway.

The other day, a former drummer for Eric Johnson was killed. It's a weird story.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/was-musicians-death-a-tragic-mistake-1151611.html

Last night, local blues musician Mean Gene Kelton was killed in a motor vehicle accident. I did not know him, but know many who did.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7356959.html

I just read that Billy Taylor has died.

http://www.billytaylorjazz.net/

Rest in peace to all, and condolences to their families and friends.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of all Dr Taylor's many accomplishments, I like this one best (from the NY Times obit):

But he left his mark on jazz less as a musician than as a proselytizer, spreading the gospel of jazz as a serious art form in high school and college lectures, on radio and television, on government panels and foundation boards.

He also helped bring jazz to predominantly black neighborhoods with Jazzmobile, an organization he founded in 1965 to present free outdoor concerts by nationally known musicians at street corners and housing projects throughout New York City.

I knew that jazz was not as familiar to young blacks as James Brown and the soul thing, he told Barbara Campbell of The Times in 1971. If you say to a young guy in Harlem Duke Ellington is great, hes going to be skeptical until he has seen him on 127th Street.

Damn - and now BILLY TAYLOR is gone?!

One of the greats who I had never been able to catch live - so now I will always regret that.

A true gentleman of music, a born educator, a deeply rooted jazzer, a generous human being, a great overall musician. RIP.

Of all Dr Taylor's many accomplishments, I like this one best (from the NY Times obit):

He also helped bring jazz to predominantly black neighborhoods with Jazzmobile, an organization he founded in 1965 to present free outdoor concerts by nationally known musicians at street corners and housing projects throughout New York City.

I was one of those kids who had his mind expanded by the Jazzmobile. One day it stopped a block away from my home in Brooklyn. On board were Lionel Hampton and the Heath Brothers. It had teaching and listening studios and a library of recordings and books to share with the kids. And that was just a small part of the contribution Billy Taylor made. Jazz has lost one of its greatest ambassadors. RIP Billy and my respects to his family.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

RIP: Billy Taylor,

Love his playing, arrangements, and compositions. Difficult pieces to play. He had such an incredible stretch in his left hand. E flat 10ths effortlessly. Condolences to friends,family, and fans.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. ............ There's also a negative side"

Very sad news coming on the heels of Jimmy Heath's passing.... :(

Like a few people mentioned, he was the the ultimate Jazz ambassador easily equally on par with Dizzy and Pops.

He was one of the pioneers of "Jazz education" before it became a norm at schools, universities and with Aebersold play-alongs.

A great pianist, composer and educator. RIP Mr. Taylor.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515

The thing I remember most was Billy Taylor's "Jazz Alive" radio program thet was a regular feature on NPR in the early 80's. I really used to look forward to this show which featured musicians such as Bobby Hutcherson,Art Blakey, Woody Shaw etc. They seemed to pay a lot of attention to who was hot at the moment in the jazz world back then.

I would love to find out what ever happened to these recordings . It would be nce to hear them again as part of the NPR archives.

The thing I remember most was Billy Taylor's "Jazz Alive" radio program thet was a regular feature on NPR in the early 80's. I really used to look forward to this show which featured musicians such as Bobby Hutcherson,Art Blakey, Woody Shaw etc. They seemed to pay a lot of attention to who was hot at the moment in the jazz world back then.

I would love to find out what ever happened to these recordings . It would be nce to hear them again as part of the NPR archives.

Word.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Billy was a very tasty player... watched his jazz tv show a few years ago that he hosted were he brought on other players as guests and interviewed them after they played... his playing knocked me out. The show was great...

R.I.P. BT!

SP6, CP-50, FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, XK-3, CX-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I didn't realize it until local TV news coverage, Dr. Taylor was originally from about 40 miles from me, in Pitt County, NC:

http://www2.wnct.com/news/2010/dec/30/famous-jazz-musician-east-dies-ar-656066/

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived