Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is it just me?

02R96

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:sick: Man, you ain't kidding! At first, I thought--it's just a youtube video, somebody's camcorder or cellphone, and they never sound good. Then I listened a little more...made it to about 1/2 way through before I was tempted to stick an icepick in my ear. Not that I want to crack on "bad bar bands," but EVH is a legend--should not sound like this!

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

Michael Anthony added a lot to that band. He did the bass bass well and his vocals were killer.

Maybe the problem is from all using too much Peavey gear. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Michael Anthony added a lot to that band. He did the bass bass well and his vocals were killer.

I was never impressed with his bass playing. It seemed he was intent on all the bass parts being a simple, repetitive set of quarter notes. However, his voice did add a lot to the sound of the band. Clearly, he was better than his current replacement.

The funny I noticed when covering Van Halen is what the rythym section did was usually tougher than it sounded. Especially during the guitar breaks. I think the repetitive quarter note motifs worked really well due to the nature of their 3 piece music. I don't think a Noel Redding type of bass player would have fit.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I was never impressed with his bass playing. It seemed he was intent on all the bass parts being a simple, repetitive set of quarter notes. However, his voice did add a lot to the sound of the band. Clearly, he was better than his current replacement.

I can't actually back this thought with any actual facts but I think Michael Anthony's bass playing was purposefully held back , possibly not his idea, to leave more room for guitar hero antics. His playing in Chickenfoot has a little more going on than the VH stuff. Until I came upon this realization I always thought MA's bass playing was lackluster and I never thought much of him as a bass player. It is a very real possibility that VH held him back.

Oh and by the way I couldn't make it through that video. The backup vocals were absolutely horrendous.

I cringed through that video. Roth can't sing anymore, Eddie was rusty at best, the background vocals were horrible. The only bright spot is that Alex is a pretty good f'ing drummer. It is kind of sad that people with this much talent don't develop, their first album was still their best in my opinion.

I can't actually back this thought with any actual facts but I think Michael Anthony's bass playing was purposefully held back , possibly not his idea, to leave more room for guitar hero antics. His playing in Chickenfoot has a little more going on than the VH stuff. Until I came upon this realization I always thought MA's bass playing was lackluster and I never thought much of him as a bass player. It is a very real possibility that VH held him back.

Oh and by the way I couldn't make it through that video. The backup vocals were absolutely horrendous.

I'm with you. Do you think anybody can play bass for 30+ years, in a top-level band night after night, tour after tour on the biggest stages in the world next to one of the world's "virtuosos" and never "get good?" Especially someone who, I believe, manned the keyboards during a few songs in the set, too?

Besides which, I thought it was universally kind of known that EVH dictated (if not played himself) those bass parts?

This kind of reminds me of something hilarious I heard in a GC once: "Screw The Edge, that guy can't play!" "He can do one thing on guitar you can't: Get 20,000 people to pay to see him play, so shut up!"

I can remember dropping some VH songs because no one could hit Michael Anthony's high harmony.

We sounded better than that though on a good night.

Everyone has bad performances. Does pervasive video mean you need to be perfect, every time, forever, just in case?

Hey, don't blame it on Wolfie. He's playing the same part Anthony did for that song. It's not like it's that challenging. IF anyone isn't on their game, it's Eddie. He looks like he's phoning it in.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Does pervasive video mean you need to be perfect, every time, forever, just in case?

Well, considering the ridiculous ticket prices that some bands get away with, then yes you need to be perfect.

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

I cringed through that video. Roth can't sing anymore, Eddie was rusty at best, the background vocals were horrible. The only bright spot is that Alex is a pretty good f'ing drummer. It is kind of sad that people with this much talent don't develop, their first album was still their best in my opinion.

Personally I think Women and Children First is their best, although choosing from the first four is difficult.

Does pervasive video mean you need to be perfect, every time, forever, just in case?

Well, considering the ridiculous ticket prices that some bands get away with, then yes you need to be perfect.

I thought so... Just confirming.

:P

Lead vocal good...Lead guitar good...Bass good...drums good...backing vocals, bad...(allowing for cheap recording gear like cell phones and camcorders at live concerts)...Eddie should be making enough money to hire some decent backing vocals while on tour and forget about singing with the bass player as neither sounded like they sing well IMHO...
Take care, Larryz

WP, I made through to the end and there is no doubt that David sang much better without Eddie and his bassman trying to sing backing vocals...not saying David was all that great either considering the money people probably shelled out to hear these guys...
Take care, Larryz

Archived