Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Small monitor mixer help

Gary75

I was wondering if any of you guys know of a small half rack mixer style about 4-6 channels, but it MUST have internal power supply, and be as compact as possible. I'm hoping I can Velcro it underneath the organ as I'm not using rack gear.

Checked out a couple of Rolls ones but they seem to use external supplies.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not aware of one this small with internal power supply. Something like a Mackie 8 channel is about the only one I can think of with internal power.

I have two small mixers that I use regularly with no problems and each have external power supplies. I've typically shunned external power supply gear, but these work fine for me. In half rack form, I have the MOTU UltraLite that I originally bought just for its firewire to use with my Mac. Now I use it more as a submixer for my rig, permanently mounted in a small rack with the wall wart tied down to a rack mount power strip. I also have the Mackie U420, a very small 4-channel stereo mixer that I mount on top of my keyboard.

The smallest mixer, of which I'm aware, that has an internal power supply is the Behringer RX1602. It's a single rack space, but is full rack width. Still quite light though; and is a clean, decent line mixer for live use. Though it's 19" wide, it could work for what you've described - as it's not too deep, and not heavy. Won't set you back a lot of $$$, either; low $100's, as I recall.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

IIRC, There used to be a BOSS half-rack mixer; almost certain it had an external power supply though. Might find it on ebay, etc..

Just came to mind: you're likely to find the best solution at A R T products.

They have a bunch of small, innovative solutions for audio.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Thanks, had a look. The ART SplitMix4 looks interesting, although I can't determine if you could run a Y cable from the stereo out to split it between two monitors. And also running a stereo jack from the headphone sockets of my keys will work into one stereo input.

The ART SplitMix4 looks interesting, although I can't determine if you could run a Y cable from the stereo out to split it between two monitors.

Rolls has a similar passive mixer, MX41b. I haven't used it. It appears to have 2 outs run in parallel, a 1/4" and an 1/8".

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived