Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil PC3 owners - OS 2.00 and Manual Addendum

MoodyBluesKeys

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You guys at Kurzweil are the champs for support of your products! No other manufacturer provides the extent of backward compatibility as well as on-line presence that you guys do.

Thanks to your team, Dave Weiser, and Happy Holidays to you!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

So much for silent night! I'll be rocking the upgrade later this evening!

Thanks to Dave W. and the gang at Kurzweil for an amazing 2010, and looking forward to what 2011 and later brings!

+1

Thank you! Merry Christmas!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Note: If you were not part of the beta team (and already used to this)

Installation of the 2.00 upgrade requires a somewhat different procedure from the 1.35 and earlier. If you follow Kurzweil's instructions exactly, it does work (either through USB or xD card).

It is NECESSARY to load the new boot-loader and utility software, and to use it to format the flash memory. That will give enough room (also enough room on the USB virtual drive) to do the instllation.

Enjoying the improvements.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I just bought a used PCX3 from Musicians Friend and real excited about receiving it. The person who bought it new did not send the sustain pedal back with it. I feel I got a really good deal. Maybe I'll take a pix of my whole rig when I get the new for me Kurz. But I won't show the other 70's boards I still own, they lean against the wall since I don't have nearly enough stands. I put on top of really tall plant pots when I want to use one.

I finally got all the contacts of all my boards cleaned, what a pain. I had never cleaned controller contacts, very easy by the way, but have cleaned many other board contacts, very few Kurz though. Thanks again for everyone's help.

In case anyone misses it, here's an important note about the compatibility of Sound Tower's editor:

"The current version of the SoundTower Desktop Editor software (v1.3.0) does not yet work with PC3 O/S v2.00. If you are a heavy SoundTower Editor user, do not update until SoundTower releases a version that is compatible with 2.00 (currently in the works)."

I could care less at this point, as I haven't had time to do any patch editing or other editing on my PC3X anyway (I'm only gigging as a bassist these days). But this warning might affect other people's decision on whether/when to do the upgrade.

Looking forward to this major update. Kurzweil seems to take the most value-added-after-sale approach of any vendor.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

XK1c, Voyager, Prophet XL

A quick glance at the bold-faced "new programs" list already has me salivating, as there's a gazillion new church pipe organ patches!

A lot of it is made up of drum kits, including a turntablist patch.

Also two new piano patches; "Pro" and "Pop".

The rest are mostly a scattering of vocal/choir, FM, synth, and sound effects patches.

Eugenio Upright, 60th P-Bass, Geddy Lee J-Bass, Hofner HCT-500/7, Yamaha BBP35, Viking Bari

Select Strat, Select Tele, Am Pro JM, LP 57 Gold, G5422DC-12, T486, ES295, PM2, EXL1

Here's my dumb question for the day. Is there a way to turn off the blue light on the back of the PC3x?

No. There are 2 blue LEDs hanging on long legs that are connected to the +5V power supply.

It's easy to get to one of the LEDs by opening the ROM expansion access panel on the bottom of the unit. You could then bend it out of the way so it wasn't so bright or put a small piece of heatshrink tubing on it, but the second LED is on the bottom of the xD card PCB. The PCB not particularly hard to remove, but it would be easy to accidentally refit it incorrectly and damage the PC3.

http://mike-warren.net/pc3/pc3-card-reader.jpg

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

Here's my dumb question for the day. Is there a way to turn off the blue light on the back of the PC3x?

No easy way (without danger of warranty messup. The traditional way from those who have had the PC3 for a while is either electrical tape or gaffer tape.

I kind of like mine - I've had a guitarist complain it was too bright.

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

A quick glance at the bold-faced "new programs" list already has me salivating, as there's a gazillion new church pipe organ patches!

A lot of it is made up of drum kits, including a turntablist patch.

Also two new piano patches; "Pro" and "Pop".

The rest are mostly a scattering of vocal/choir, FM, synth, and sound effects patches.

You're gonna like the two new pianos - more pp to ff difference. Couple of new electric pianos also - and the second one cuts through the mix like crazy - very percussive start and dies down.

Cool thing about the organ patches is that setups can be made to emulate the way pipe organs really work.

Jim

Well from looking at that picture it seems like you could just paint the inside of the smart card port. The LED shines on the inside of the PC3 and the blue plastic looks translucent. Why not just get some nail polish and just paint the plastic on the outside? Some glossy black would be tasteful.
1974 Rhodes, CP70B, Polivoks, Dominion 1, Behringer D, Mother 32, DFAM, MS20 Mini, Folktek Mescaline, Nord Lead 2x, KArp Odyssey, Jv1080, Digitakt, Hydrasynth,

SvenGolly, I am partially dyslexic and I have to almost retype every other word, that was an over site on my part, thank you for noticing. You are quite correct. I was a bit excited as I have not had nor spent that amount of money in a while.

Although I do not know what at all you are refering as having problems going forward? Since you do not know me at all, please explain, thank you.

Although I do not know what at all you are refering as having problems going forward? Since you do not know me at all, please explain, thank you.

I mean, if you do a Google search for PCX3, you won't find your keyboard. You won't have any problems here, because we know what you're talking about, but elsewhere you might have trouble finding the information you seek.

Enjoy your fantastic new board! :D

I kind of like mine - I've had a guitarist complain it was too bright.

Excellent. :thu:

:D

Between the PEK and the PC3x, if I don't use gaffers tape, it looks like the cops are there to break up the party.

I wonder what's it going to look like if I buy a PC3X and use it onstage with my NL3 :)

This is odd -- I can't get my computer to see the xD card, regardless of which of several USB readers I plug into the computer. Yet all of those readers work if I put any other format card in them. I even tried using the PC3X to format this xD card, and I did use it once already for an earlier update. It's Fujifilm 32MB and was in a plastic holder so I doubt it got zapped.

I'll try the USB approach instead, and will report back if any snags. Just thought I'd mention the xD problem (unrelated to PCX3X per se, unless its formatter renders the card unreadable by Macs, which is extremely unlikely), in case anyone has run into problems with xD cards on Snow Leopard in 64-bit mode (once I can afford to reboot my computer later tonight, I'll try rebooting in 32-bit mode).

Wow, quick as lightning! It only took seconds for each of the update steps to complete! I remember the PC2 series taking up to an hour or more to update!

I did reboot in 32-bit mode and the xD card was recognized. I'm not going to waste any more time hunting on-line for answers and have simply made a note to reboot in 32-bit mode when I need to use the xD card.

The direct USB update approach was simple and fast enough anyway, but I'll need the xD card later on for patch saves etc.

SoundTower just answered my inquiry about their update for the PC3 2.00 upgrade (The current ST editor version is not compatible with Kurzweils' 2.0 upgrade).

They indicated it is only a week to 2 weeks away. That's good news, they make a good editor at the right price!

Cool. I thought I remembered this particular editor being free though. Maybe I paid for it -- I can't remember. I know I paid for the MEK and P08 editors.

Well, it's the most expensive keyboard, and Sound Tower also hands out the MOTIF series editors for free (starting with XS and XF models) -- though those are redistributed directly by Yamaha/Steinberg as I recall vs. requiring q visit to the SoundTower webpage.

Interestingly, I find the PC3 editor the best of the bunch, and the least bug-ridden on the Mac (though I have yet to use the other ones since switching from a G4 PPC iMac running Tiger to an Intel MacPro running Snow Leopard). The minimoog Voyager editor has been the most problematic for me, but I haven't done the latest firmware update yet and that came with a new editor as well.

The two new piano patches sound surprisingly different from Kurzweil pianos of the past. Almost a bit Yamaha-like, which will cut through for pop and maybe some jazz.

I tried KB3 Mode as well, since there are changes there. It seems better to me, and I wouldn't feel bad if I had to use these at a gig where I only need B3 for a couple of songs and don't want to haul the XK3C along.

I'll need to combine the pipe organ programs into a setup to see how well they play together, but individual auditioning of the programs indicates they're well-balanced. Certainly no other digital keyboard has such a collection! I had "All the Stops" for the original MOTIF Classic, and put a lot of time into mapping that one to custom Performances. I might reuse those notes to do the same with this set.

Archived