Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

From the family talent pool

skipclone 1

Hey all

I think I´ve mentioned before that my brother plays guitar quite actively-here is a cover band he´s been involved with

for a couple of years now-he´s getting some nice tones, I think it´s mostly his PRS:

http://www.myspace.com/thesmilinjackband

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty OK group - love that old R&B - vocals, feel, dynamics & time, would like to see them live. That type of material was on the charts when I was on the road.

1967 - We were approx 19 and I remember Long Island well. My band did The Tiana Beach Club in the Hamptons after our NY agent took the gig away from Leslie West/The Vagrants for us. Just a coincidence that we all ended up with Felix Pappalardi as our producer & my drummer was asked to join Mountain with Leslie and Felix after we broke up. Felix also produced Cream & co-wrote "Wheels of Fire" plus "Disraeli Gears".

The Young Rascals were playing down the street at The Barge and we all got banned from the Hampton Diner for having a food fight with The Shangri-Las - plus I bonked one of the waitress chicks and the boss found out...

Sorry to make it about me but I couldn't resist...the good old days...

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

Much to my surprise, I have just heard from my cousin on facebook. Last I heard he was playing an old Jackson Soloist-well he now has a collection of guitars and amps that is just kiler. He was into the heavy stuff before, not sure about now. He has been in radio silence mode for years.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

The Young Rascals were playing down the street at The Barge and we all got banned from the Hampton Diner for having a food fight with The Shangri-Las - plus I bonked one of the waitress chicks and the boss found out...

Such a beautiful recollection, almost brings a tear to my eye....

GREAT story! I agree with Skip--cool to hear things like this from the source, rather than 2nd or 3rd hand. I'd be willing to bet you've got plenty more where that came from!

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

Thanx guys - I probably have enough for a small book but don't want to hi-jack skipclone's thread. We were complete idiots and sometimes I really wonder how we survived. I was driving a new 67 Dodge R/T with a 440 Magnum and my bass player had a new 67 Plymouth GTX hemi. In the days before radar we used to bounce the speedometers off 135 mph while hauling trailers at midnight going to the next gig.

Just one more: I remember doing The Peppermint Lounge in NY on 45th Street where they started the peppermint twist. We were staying in the Knickerbocker Hotel upstairs from the club and completely froze up the air-conditioners in both rooms - they were on 24 hours a day to get the smell of go-go dancers out of the rooms - public forum but you know what I mean.

Sorry to ramble on skipclone - my drummer was Corky Laing. He wrote Mississippi Queen by accident at a summer gig we had on Nantucket Island. I think that's where the title "Nantucket Sleighride" came from on one of Leslie West's albums.

Anyways, back to music & guitars...wish I could do it all again.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

Archived