Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass -- good value!

Mark Schmieder

I know you're on the wagon Steve but that Jag is a lot of bass for 300 bucks.

I agree. The things I like are it does a P really well. I also like how when you add the bridge pup, it's like a P with more burp and definition, or a J with more beef. Either way, it's nice. The bridge alone is fine, but I never really use the bridge soloed on a J bass so no big deal. I like that it adds something to the P. I also like the neck. Slim and fast like a J, and the overall look is nice, too.

I just have a hard time seeing a $300 Squier Jaguar as my main bass. I know, I know, and the guys have heard it and think it sounds great, as do I...but still. I'm just a bit of a gear snob I guess.

It just seems like if whatever I get has potential to my main bass, it should be something a little more than a Squier.

I know what you mean. We've been conditioned to turn up our noses at the name Squier. I love mine though.

If they made a MIA version complete with the American neck, the P/J configuration, the stacked knobs and the high-mass string-through bridge... well they'd have pretty much built my perfect bass.

Push the button Frank.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I played it again today, and the USA Special jazz. There's no denying the neck on the USA. It is better than the Squier of course. The Squier is nice. One of my band mates was right there and said it sounded great even compared to the USA stuff. I don't know.

I know I want a 4 string. I'm pretty sure I want passive - or at least active with passive option. I'd like 21 frets and a rosewood board. I don't know what to get. Like my friend said, with the Squier I'm only out $300 and I can sell it for maybe $200 so...

Yes, but you won't sell it, so make sure to account for that in your budget. :-)

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 6 months later...

Here's a surprise: Fender has just announced a new Jaguar Bass in the Fender Modern Player Series:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-modern-player-jaguar-electric-bass-guitar/h76271000001001

Not sure how this would sound compared to the Squier that I bought late last year, but of course one difference is that it has a maple fretboard with 70's style inlays.

I don't have time right now to track down more specs on this model; it's the only one of the four new basses and guitars that Fender announced this week that don't have full specs at the Musician's Friend site yet.

The pickup configuration looks the same though, with the main visual difference being that it has traditional Jazz bass tone and volume knobs.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

There's also a new higher-end Jag Bass from Fender, more akin to Jeremy's (if he hasn't sold it), but with the P/J combination and purely passive:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0259505500

Although I'm totally in love with mine, I'll take a look at this one if I see it in a store.

Strangely, the photo looks like two Jazz pickups, but the description insists the neck is a P-bass pickup.

Here's the official Fender product page for the other Jag bass mentioned earlier:

http://www.fender.com/products/modernplayer/models.php?prodNo=0241702

I notice many of these new Modern Player instruments use koto wood.

I'm interested in the fact that they aren't just rehashing the same old designs (like a Player's Reissue Modern Vintage Anniversary Custom PBass that looks just like a regular PBass), but taking some chances. Even moreso on the guitar side - the Marauder looks interesting to me.

My one gripe is that since these are MODERN Player series, shouldn't there be 5-string versions, too?

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Here's a surprise: Fender has just announced a new Jaguar Bass in the Fender Modern Player Series:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/fender-modern-player-jaguar-electric-bass-guitar/h76271000001001

Not sure how this would sound compared to the Squier that I bought late last year, but of course one difference is that it has a maple fretboard with 70's style inlays.

I don't have time right now to track down more specs on this model; it's the only one of the four new basses and guitars that Fender announced this week that don't have full specs at the Musician's Friend site yet.

The pickup configuration looks the same though, with the main visual difference being that it has traditional Jazz bass tone and volume knobs.

More than a visual difference to me and takes away one of the Squier VM Jags main selling points (again, to me).

Push the button Frank.

This new Modern Player series looks interesting. The thing is, rumor has it that Fender may be manufacturing these in China or elsewhere. I don't know for certain, or how long this particular production facility has been operating. But I do recall that the early Mexican Fenders had some issues when they came on the market. I don't really have any interest in this particular model, but I'm tempted to try out the Modern Player Telecaster bass that got announced at the same time as this Jaguar bass.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

The Modern Player and other new Fender guitars and basses -- as well as the new Squiers just announced -- vary in price considerably. One thing they have in common is that they are consistently more expensive than the Squier models for each series. This is evident at the Fender site as they have now integrated the Fender and Squier sites and make it easy to compare full series together.

They also re-released the other Jaguar in red, blue, and sunburst.

All the specs can be found on the Fender website.

Severo "Thrilla" Jornacion, the bass player for the Smithereens was playing a red Fender Jaguar through an GK head and SWR 4x10 and 1x12 cabinets last night, and it sounded totally awesome. I was able to talk to him briefly last night, and he said he loves the Jag and wants to get one in blue as well. alas, no lefty version.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

• 4 months later...

This bass has still proven its worth over time. I did shootouts at every store I could get to this past week, and could find neither another Jaguar Bass or Jazz Bass model (including modified editions with P/J configurations such as the Geddy Lee bass), that comes close to having as playable a neck as mine or as versatile a pickup combination.

I had hoped to find an all-maple neck bass to add to my collection due to parting with the Telecaster Bass, but couldn't find one that I more than tolerated, even though I know an all-maple neck can give more snap. I won't go active so MusicMan is out of the question. A Mike Lull jazz bass caught my attention at Gelb Music today but I would rather steer clear of active basses even when they have True Bypass passive overrides. But that is one fine bass! Better than Lakland.

The new Fender Modern Player Jaguar Bass isn't nearly as good as this Squier edition. The pickups aren't very versatile and don't cover vintage territory, and the neck is substandard on all three of the ones I have seen so far (plus it's lacquered). I had falsely assumed it would be an "upgrade" model.

I think though that I also got lucky, as none of the VM Jaguar Basses I have seen in stores (and I've seen quite a few) play as well as mine -- even before I got mine back from setup work this week. So I keep an open mind even about models I have already tried, in case I simply found bad specimens.

This also ended up being a good bass for testing gear today as it is very articulate and balanced.

I'm not sure why or how, but I can say with certainty that IN GENERAL, in the last few years the Squier line is superior to the MIM line. This isn't just coming from me, but dozens of musicians, techs and music store salesman. And it isn't just the basses, it's the guitars too. The CV Strats absolutely KILL. For $300 bucks? Impossible. Could be that Asia is getting better wood and of course, the hourly wage is about twelve cents.

JAZZ UN-STANDARDS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vE4FoJ4Cr4&feature=related

DON'T FEAR...THE REVERB! 60's Instrumentals with MORE BASS!

I am ready to pull the trigger on this VM Jaguar-

They recently added Olympic White, Candy Apple Red and Vintage Sunburst to the available colors- I am setting up to pick up this model in the Candy Apple Red. With the tort pick guard and the pearloid inlays, it looks pretty sharp. I like the red color too.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

No; there is only one finish, as shown here:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0327900506

Those are different versions, and I've tried them all. You must try for yourself, of course, but I did not find the other Squier Jaguar models to sound anything like this one -- nor does the new Fender Modern Player edition.

All of them have different pickups and different necks/fretboards.

Even with the one I bought, it can be hit or miss. I do not recommend buying one on-line! If a local store doesn't have one, make sure you have a return policy if you order one and it isn't to your liking (or can exchange for another one). There is no guarantee that there will be consistency from one to another.

No; there is only one finish, as shown here:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0327900506

Those are different versions, and I've tried them all. You must try for yourself, of course, but I did not find the other Squier Jaguar models to sound anything like this one -- nor does the new Fender Modern Player edition.

All of them have different pickups and different necks/fretboards.

Even with the one I bought, it can be hit or miss. I do not recommend buying one on-line! If a local store doesn't have one, make sure you have a return policy if you order one and it isn't to your liking (or can exchange for another one). There is no guarantee that there will be consistency from one to another.

Not true on all counts.

It comes in white. I have one. Looks great. I bought it online no prob. If you order fro GC you can negotiate price and return it any store if you want a refund.

OK, it looks like the extra colours are a Guitar Center special, as they only show up at Musician's Friend and the like (not non-GC-associated vendors or Fender's own website):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-bass

Any of the four finishes is nice; this bass has one of the better trims of any Squier bass currently. But I'll bet only the black one shows up in actual Guitar Center stores.

OK, it looks like the extra colours are a Guitar Center special, as they only show up at Musician's Friend and the like (not non-GC-associated vendors or Fender's own website):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-vintage-modified-jaguar-bass

Any of the four finishes is nice; this bass has one of the better trims of any Squier bass currently. But I'll bet only the black one shows up in actual Guitar Center stores.

Yep, I've only seen the white on-line. BTW, I have an American Standard J with a maple neck and that too is not stocked by CG. It has to be ordered.

Hey, that's good to know as the American Standard J in the rosewood neck was the ONLY current production Fender Jazz Bass that I liked very much, and I felt I would like it more in maple but didn't want to take a chance due to cost.

Archived