Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass -- good value!

Mark Schmieder

I'm finding that I still prefer to finger at the neck. But there is a larger difference when fingering at the bridge than I notice on other basses. I may have to resort to that when I need a plunkier and brighter sound.

As usual, I notice from people's photos that fingering at the bridge seems to be the norm. I was taught differently and got into the habit early, reinforced by string bass playing.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I play close to the neck a lot, but I change my fingering position often, especially when playing fretless.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Mark, how were the stacked tone knobs on yours?

I played one at the local GC, and I liked the bass but the tone controls were just awful. The spring washer was sticking out, they were not smooth at all, like the knobs were dragging against something. It really bummed me out. Hopefully the ones on yours weren't like that.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Mike,

On mine, the tone knobs work perfectly. Ten detents, turn smoothly.

And unlike Squiers in the past they actually seem to have some variable function. On old Affinities it seemed you got what you expected at 0 and 10, but there was no appreciable difference between 1 and 10. It was either all or nothing.

The one you tried at GC had probably been abused.

Push the button Frank.

No problem. I suspect someone removed the protective cover for the pick guard and wasn't careful, meaning there is some plastic all bunched up underneath the knobs. Take a look and see.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

There are two new versions of this bass that just got released or announced this week (see the Squier site for details).

One is the Jaguar Special, with four knobs and dot vs. block inlays.

The other is an HH edition, with one humbucker near the bridge (maybe also one near the neck, but I can't tell from the dark image).

I'm too tired at this hour to read or compare the specs, but printed them out for later. So, I don't know yet whether the Special is a higher-end version of the one I bought, or just different in some way. I'll read the specs tomorrow.

It looks to me like they are trying to have some Ibanez fighters in their arsenal.

They added a sunburst version of the VM Jazz bass too. It looks real sweet. I'd seriously consider getting one.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

I was wondering if that one was new. They have two models with the same name, unless they're replacing the other one (which has a maple neck and is sold in the stores as a 70's VM Jazz bass).

I printed out the specs for both to compare later tonight. I'll be curious to see if the new one replaces the other, as they are so different. I sort of like the maple one, but it doesn't get as much of the jazz tone as my Jag Bass does!

I'm starting to wonder whether pure jazz basses are worth bothering with. It seems my favourite basses are almost all ones that have a jazz neck, a jazz bridge pickup, and a precision or musicman neck pickup. On pure jazz basses, I rarely use the neck pickup.

Lakland 44/55 (but not the earlier Joe Osborne version), Yamaha BB, and Squier VM Jag, all fit my description of a more versatile "mostly jazz-style" bass above.

The two new Jaguar Bass models both contain an active EQ circuit for bass boost, and are wired differently from the base models in other ways as well, making these models slightly more similar to the Fender Jaguar Bass (the pickups are different also).

So, I'm glad I got the one I did, being insistent these days on passive-only instruments (against the tide, I know, as even guitars are mostly active these days, except for the stock Fender and Les Paul type models).

I am so happy with the range of vintage 60's/70's P-bass and J-bass tone that I can get from my Vintage Modified Jaguar, that I feel I have all of my "basses" covered, since the Yamaha BB-415 covers the 80's (same pickup layout as the Jag but a completely different sound), and the Dingwall everything else.

The Squier Jazz Basses mostly use the Duncan Designed JB-101, whereas the Jag uses the JB-102. I find my Jag sounds more authentically vintage than any of the Jazz-branded Squiers, but the Seymour Duncan website seems to indicate the JB-101's are the more vintage of the two:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/duncan-designed/all/index.php?page=2

The Classic Vibe 60's Jazz Bass doesn't seem to use Duncan Designed pickups, so maybe that's why I felt the 70's Vintage Modified with maple neck sounded a bit closer to a vintage jazz bass.

At any rate, now that there are three in the line-up, the Jaguar Bass is more clearly distinguished as being something other than a modded Jazz Bass. And since the concept of a Jaguar Bass (unless one considers the original Bass VI to be a precursor) is a recent one, Fender/Squier have a lot of room to play here in creating a new "brand".

In fact, I believe this was exactly their intention: to pay homage to the past while blazing a new path forward, in hopes of attracting younger players who may otherwise have gravitated towards "cooler" brands that their peers recommend.

• 2 weeks later...
I really enjoy my new VM Jag as-is. The new models intrigue me, as I see that the sunburst Special P/J is basswood-bodied. I would be curious as to how the battery for the active circuit is done. If it is under the control plate, I will stick with what I have, thank you, but if there is a quick-change compartment, then I would say that the Special would merit keen interest.
Founder of the G&L JB-2 Legion

Because of this thread, I tried out the VM Jag at SA over the weekend. Never been a fan of Jaguars but I have to say that the praise seems to be deserved. Fender/Squier keeps coming up with winners, especially the VM line, and this was a well put together instrument, clean, with a good feel.

I'd still rather get the fretless but I was tempted!

"Of all the world's bassists, I'm one of them!" - Lug

All those Squier basses are miles ahead of the beginner instruments that were available when I started playing.

They are completely usable on gigs but I think you are fooling yourself if you think they are just as good as Fender Mexico, Fender Japan or Fender USA instruments.

Have you played equivalent models next to each other?

The Squier Jag bass is unique, and unrelated to the recently-canceled Fender Jag bass, so there really is no equivalent.

For the VM Fretless jazz, this is also the case, as no Fender fretless on the market today has the equivalent fretboard, neck, and pickup configuration -- though a few are close.

The only current Fender Fretless that I like (and I've tried them all), is the Tony Franklin model. But I absolutely require ebony; nothing else gives me the player/instrument connection I strive for. Doesn't mean others can't get great sounds and inspiration from rosewood or other fretboard materials on a fretless, though.

The Squier VM Fretless PUPS and the ebanol neck are what make this a cheaper instrument. I have yet to find any faults with the Squier Jag Bass -- just as with my Yammie BB-bass. Now and then, a budget instrument does all the right things, and when there is no upper-end equivalent, comparisons are a moot point.

Having said that, I still have my eyes (eventually) on a Lakland J-bass, fretted and/or fretless. The Joe Osborne model has been renamed (44-60 and 55-60, I believe) and now features P/J vs. J/J configuration. Unfortunately, only the MIA version ($5000 to $6000) substitutes ebony on the otherwise rosewood fretboard.

Back to the Jag though, which is what this particular thread is about, there probably IS an equivalent Fender-branded bass on the market today that has similar specs but simply isn't branded a Jag. I'll take a look soon to see whether there is a P-bass or J-bass with the split P/J PUP combination like this Squier model.

I bought my Squier Jag because I wanted a P/J with a Jazz neck and because it was $299 new.

I gotta tell you, after a proper setup and filing the roughness out of the fret ends I am really digging this thing. These "Duncan Designed" pickups are, IMO, at least the equivalent of what you get in the newer MIMs. Well done Squier.

Push the button Frank.

The Fender Aerodyne seems the closest potential match for the Squier Jaguar Bass:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0254505506

I can't remember if I've seen/tried one of these or not.

I think these are really nice. I play the one at the local store every time I'm in there. If I hadn't put a moratorium on bas purchases for this calendar year (save for the EUB that is on the way but that doesn't count, right) I'd be close to pulling the trigger.

In case anybody is interested, here are the two new Squier Jags:

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/prod_images/basses/0328900538_md.jpghttp://www.squierguitars.com/products/prod_images/basses/0328700591_md.jpg

The Vintage Modified Jaguar® Bass Special has volume/volume/tone/active bass boost. I'm not interested in swapping separate tone controls for an "active bass boost", but that's me. Comes in sunburst, black and crimson transparent.

The Vintage Modified Jaguar® Bass Special HB seems to be pretty much a Squier stingray (OLP?) with a Jazz neck. Controls are volume/treble/mid/bass. I'd like to play/hear one. Comes in silver, black and candy apple red.

Push the button Frank.

Just got a VM Jaguar in at the local store, and I'm going to go try it out today based on this thread. I've been toying with the idea of a new bass for quite a while (I've been using an off-brand bass since forever, that has intonation and buzzing problems, and the low-end tone is muddy as all hell), but since I'm pretty amateur with bass (keys are my main axe) I didn't want to drop the cash on something more pricey. I've never seen such a glowing review of a budget bass as yours, Mark, so I'm psyched to give it a whirl.

BluMonk, so happy to hear this affordable bass has addressed the issues with your format budget model.

• 1 month later...
I've put an economy hi-mass bridge and some straplocks on mine, keeping the total investment still below $300, and am starting to prefer the tone of my Jag over my G&L JB2's (heresy!). It has certainly become a main player for bar gigs, and I have gotten many compliments about how cool the instrument looks. Squier sure came up with a winner.
Founder of the G&L JB-2 Legion

It blends well with other instruments, speaking evenly across the tonal range. Everyone smiles when I play it, because they can hear the bass well even at lower volumes. An amazing design!

All those Squier basses are miles ahead of the beginner instruments that were available when I started playing.

They are completely usable on gigs but I think you are fooling yourself if you think they are just as good as Fender Mexico, Fender Japan or Fender USA instruments.

Have you played equivalent models next to each other?

I actually sat yesterday and played the following passive 4 string basses:

Fender American Standard Jazz

Fender American Special Jazz

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz

Fender Highway One Precession

Squirt VM Jaguar

I liked all of them. I preferred the neck on the Special - a little thinner than the Standard and a little thicker than the Geddy - just right said Goldilocks. The Hwy 1 was really nice. Makes me want a P bass. The neck was very comfortable, a little narrower than a standard P-bass I think.

I have played the VM Jaguar a number of times and really like it. While it's not a Fender USA, Japan or Mexico, it is certainly a nice bass - not just for the price - and very giggable. I think it does the "P" thing pretty well. It's not quite a J as there's only one J pup, but that bridge pup mixed with the neck gives you kind of a meatier J sound. The thing that keeps me from a P is the lack of definition/punch you get from J type pups. While I haven't tried many P/J basses, I think the Jaguar is a nice mix. It gives you some P thump and J definition with a comfy J style neck. I have been toying with the idea of going to a passive 4 string to take a break from my active 5 and for $300, this could be a nice birthday present.

Well, see my review of the Squier Tele Bass, which gives plenty of thump.

Now I have to re-try some P-basses at Gtr Ctr to remind myself of what they sound like, as I don't remember them being as thumpy as this TB model!

It's got me kind of confused, as I previously felt J-bass designs had more definition and punch than P-bass designs. So this Vintage Modified "Tele Bass" may indeed be its own thing, apart from any other J-bass, Jag-bass, or P-bass.

I might have to try that "Stingray" edition of the Jag-bass, if they get one in at a local GC. Now you've got me curious.

I know you're on the wagon Steve but that Jag is a lot of bass for 300 bucks.

I agree. The things I like are it does a P really well. I also like how when you add the bridge pup, it's like a P with more burp and definition, or a J with more beef. Either way, it's nice. The bridge alone is fine, but I never really use the bridge soloed on a J bass so no big deal. I like that it adds something to the P. I also like the neck. Slim and fast like a J, and the overall look is nice, too.

I just have a hard time seeing a $300 Squier Jaguar as my main bass. I know, I know, and the guys have heard it and think it sounds great, as do I...but still. I'm just a bit of a gear snob I guess.

It just seems like if whatever I get has potential to my main bass, it should be something a little more than a Squier.

Well, it isn't my main bass -- that role remains with the Dingwall Afterburner (which I used in the studio last night for some new material I wrote for a Broadway style musical a la "Rent").

But it gets first call when I'm pulled into some gig that is primarily oldies from 50's through 70's. That's where it excels.

Even so, it's such a joy to play due to the fast neck, that I pull it out now and then just for the fun of it. But I probably wouldn't be inclined to use it on more modern material.

Archived