Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

QSC K10 - First impressions

dazzjazz

Hi all,

Yesterday between gigs I picked up a K10 which I been wanting for months. Xmas gigs have been good to me so I thought what the hell! I first powered it up at the gig and wasn't disappointed with how my CP33 sounded.

The sound has a lot of focus and character across the spectrum. The midrange of the piano has a good amount of meat and the tops are crystal clear without being harsh.

Unfortunately the crowd were talking loud last night so it wasn't the best environment but it definitely is a step up from my Mackie SRM350, which, to be fair, sounded pretty good.

Haven't tried playing organ through it yet but will do so.

Cheers

Darren.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darren,

which piano sound do you play? I seem to prefer the Mono Piano with EQ-Settings on medium.

With the C1, I found it necessary to cut the basses on the C1's EQ a little bit (I have the knob for the deep frequencies at around 11 o'clock). Even on my headphones I had the feeling the C1 was putting out too much bass.

Another thing - it seems to be crucial where you put the K10. I had a gig with the C1 where I sat next to the speaker (which I used for monitoring and PA), and I didn't enjoy the sound. But the recordings done from a Zoom H2 in front of the band (organ & drums) sounded really nice + I got compliments on my sound from the crowd. In which position do you put it when you play?

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Hi all,

Yesterday between gigs I picked up a K10 which I been wanting for months. Xmas gigs have been good to me so I thought what the hell! I first powered it up at the gig and wasn't disappointed with how my CP33 sounded.

The sound has a lot of focus and character across the spectrum. The midrange of the piano has a good amount of meat and the tops are crystal clear without being harsh.

Unfortunately the crowd were talking loud last night so it wasn't the best environment but it definitely is a step up from my Mackie SRM350, which, to be fair, sounded pretty good.

Haven't tried playing organ through it yet but will do so.

Cheers

Darren.

I put organ now through 2 K12s and a KSUB via Ventilator with VB3-2. It's sound is ridiculous (meaning good). Written before: the KSUB just does miracles for the bass lines. Just registered them today for the free 6 year, transferable warranty at their website. Can't be more pleased with the speakers. Originally ordered K10s but was able to pick up where I wanted to buy K12s in stock. Mostly used for piano they are slightly more than I wanted in weight (thusly the K10s) but I guess I can handle a bit more weight than I wanted (to go very light)

W

About what I expected to hear, Darren. Glad that the K10 is working out for you.

I'm planning to upgrade the monitoring portion of my rig in 2011. A K12 is definitely on my radar.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Organ on the K10 sounds as good as you'd expect, just like any other sound sounds great.

For the 1st time ever, I was told I was TOO LOUD at a gig. The guys enjoyed ribbing me about it. At the next gig I realized why- we plugged our guitar player and his laptop into it for a dinner nset, and I found there was little drop off in volume from a few feet out to many feet out. Where other speakers would be much softer 20' away, the K10 was still just as loud as it was 4' away. So when I was cranked up at a volume I thought was good for me, it was apparently too good for everyone else!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Hi Mo,

I only ever use the mono Piano on gigs - the 1st variation is the one I like. I usually have the EQ on medium but last night I found I had it on mellow (or whatever it is..).

I'd like to be running stereo but that would involve another trip to the car - let's no go there in this thread eh?!

As for position, the K10 was on the floor off to my left.

Haven't tried it for organ yet - I will but I quite lke my Motion Sound Pro 145.

Will post here when I've tried it.

Darren

Darren,

which piano sound do you play? I seem to prefer the Mono Piano with EQ-Settings on medium.

With the C1, I found it necessary to cut the basses on the C1's EQ a little bit (I have the knob for the deep frequencies at around 11 o'clock). Even on my headphones I had the feeling the C1 was putting out too much bass.

Another thing - it seems to be crucial where you put the K10. I had a gig with the C1 where I sat next to the speaker (which I used for monitoring and PA), and I didn't enjoy the sound. But the recordings done from a Zoom H2 in front of the band (organ & drums) sounded really nice + I got compliments on my sound from the crowd. In which position do you put it when you play?

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I use a K12 with my C1 and a ventilator. I actually turn the bass and mids up in the eq and the treble down a bit. I don't need to use the deep sub, sounds good. YMMV.
Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

My CX3 and Vent sound great through the K12. The organ still has balls, but you can hear the shimmering highs and yet there's a healthy amount of bass. I never had a need to use the deep bass setting.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

I bought a K12 last week and run a similar rig (XK1->Vent->1202->K12). IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT!

Actually, on the field recording I made, the organ is too loud! LOL! It definitely has some cajones in the low end! I EQ'd flat on the 1202.

I play a Fantom X6 for all other sounds and the K12 really brought new life to my Rhodes and Wurly sounds!

Interesting to hear about the consistent projection at 4' and 20'. Definitely a characteristic to keep in mind when I'm trying stuff out! I see this as mainly a good thing, since it seems you don't have to kill yourself with your own sound to be present out "there".

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Interesting to hear about the consistent projection at 4' and 20'. Definitely a characteristic to keep in mind when I'm trying stuff out! I see this as mainly a good thing, since it seems you don't have to kill yourself with your own sound to be present out "there".

That was a surprise to me, and a good one- not something I had even considered before purchasing. Of course, I made my purchase on the advice of everyone here, I hadn't heard it before, and I'm very happy so far.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Interesting to hear about the consistent projection at 4' and 20'.
You should hear how good 4'33" sounds at 4' and 20'...

Every sounds better at 4-20 :cool::cool::cool:

No wonder David Crosby made his song "4 and 20" -- I should've known...

EDIT: Whoops, Stills wrote that one.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I think it's a recent cultural reference, isn't it? I only became aware of it a few years ago when we realized we had to put something AGAINST "420" in our band ads, so the stoners would quit showing up at our auditions (the assumption is "420-friendly" unless stated otherwise).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Of course, I made my purchase on the advice of everyone here, I hadn't heard it before, and I'm very happy so far.

That's how I made the decision too. What a great community.

I am used to band mates asking me to turn up because they can't hear me because my amplification didn't project. Now, well let's say it's nice to occasionally feel like a guitar player. :)

Now, well let's say it's nice to occasionally feel like a guitar player.

Since I bought a Vox Tonelab, I can now plug my guitar into the Vox, plug the Vox in the K10 - and sound like a guitar player with a 1000 watt amp

Or even better, just use my PC3 on the "Falgor's Lament" patch - that one is gnarlier than the Vox set on full metal.

(looking for SMIRK emoticon) :poke:

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

• 1 month later...

Look what turned up in my rig last night:

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt198/allanevett/K10.jpg

For 31 Lbs, it's one kick-ass cabinet. The K10 is the sweetest little piece o' PA I've ever had :crazy:

After one rehearsal Friday, and the gig Saturday, there's just one question: "Why didn't I do this sooner ?"

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

I just spent the afternoon playing my Nord C1 through the K10.

Just fantastic - really pleasing sound. Will be great for small gigs. Plenty of bass, nice balance. Slight midrange emphasis but nothing to worry about.

www.dazzjazz.com

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

Used my K10 on the gig last night. Input 1 was a monitor mix of the band, minus keys. Input 2 was a monitor send from my mixer. With vocal boost selected on the K10 both the audio clarity and separation were outstanding. The band mix included electronic drums (Roland TD 20..), bass, electric and acoustic guitars, and 3 vocals. My rig included the Roland RD-700NX, and Motif XF7 driving a Receptor 2 (mostly for VB3). The K10 took all of this and reproduced it extremely well. Makes hearing what I need on stage a breeze.

I had a friend who once recommended me that k10, interesting to know it's highly good stuff, i'll need to upgrade very soon and will surely look that one up.

Now, do you guys use it as a personal PA/monitor? or?

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Archived