Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Want a grand piano, just don't have room? Korg microPIANO

Sven Golly

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see where there might be a need for such a small instrument/toy in the Asian market. In many cities, families are packed into very small apartments. Not every country has the benefit of a lot of space.

I'd say it didn't sound all that bad, considering the size and price. At least they didn't neglect to have stereo panning on the Rhodes sound. :/

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I call that a FAIL.

+1

And what's with that 'grand piano' lid ?! It looks like a cartoon cat tongue.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

We are obviously not the market for this thing. I wouldn't pay $300+ for one but I'd love to find it under the tree Xmas morning. :)
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I can see where there might be a need for such a small instrument/toy in the Asian market. In many cities, families are packed into very small apartments. Not every country has the benefit of a lot of space.

I'd say it didn't sound all that bad, considering the size and price. At least they didn't neglect to have stereo panning on the Rhodes sound. :/

Yeah, I agree. I doubt they would even try to bring that ish out in this country. But in Japan they love their freaky gadgets, and life is a very different scene indeed.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Yeah, I agree. I doubt they would even try to bring that ish out in this country. But in Japan they love their freaky gadgets, and life is a very different scene indeed.

Hitting the North American market in September/October 2011. :snax:

http://www.lostrepublic.us/Graphics/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Literal jawdrop. I read the comments before watching the video. I didn't quite realise the extent of the micro. My goodness.

We are obviously not the market for this thing. I wouldn't pay $300+ for one but I'd love to find it under the tree Xmas morning. :)

I'd put it more into stocking stuffer territory.

This has inspired me to get a microSTATION and put it in an upright piano shell.

Would be fun to see if the microSTATION might fit into the shell of a Magnus Chord Organ :crazy:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Literal jawdrop. I read the comments before watching the video. I didn't quite realise the extent of the micro. My goodness.

I'd put it more into stocking stuffer territory.

Correct you are, sir! From the Island of Freakish Toys.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

OK, the Micropiano may be a bit of a stretch (or lack thereof :D ) but I don't think Korg is "off their nut" at all. In fact I give Korg credit for coming up with some very unique products in the Micro series.

I just purchased a Microstation and love it. To have a full workstation that can easily be carried into a hotel room, or to sit beside or on your computer desk taking up very little room is cool. I had a fill-in gig last night that only required piano but took the Microstation along for fun. The string ensemble and brass sounds as well as some synth pads and leads that I came across sounded absolutely great. Far better than what is available in my digital piano (which is kind of crazy considering the price and size difference between the two). And the mini keys were surprisingly easy to play with a great deal of control over the wide dynamic range.

Is Korg trying to create a micro-mini world? I don't think so; they do have some very nice full size keyboards as well. Are the guys at Korg nuts? I think in contrast to the minuscule size of the Micro series products, Korg is demonstrating that they have much larger nuts than the other guys by offering products off the beaten path.

Korg...Long Live Non-Conformity!

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

The smallness of it doesn't turn me off so much as the fact that it sounds atrocious. I played a shitty $70 keyboard at Radio Shack once that had better sounds than that thing.

Unless you heard it in person through external amplification, it would be a little hard to judge, don't you think? ;) Or maybe you just mean the choice of most of the sounds demoed weren't to your liking, at which point I agree.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Good point. You're correct. It may only be applicable in the US, but Young Chang appears to own that mark.

I hope this link works

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived