Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What spares, provisions, or emergency supplies do you carry?

Josh Paxton

You know what I mean: things you probably won't need on any given gig, but may need eventually, and will be glad to have when you do. A quick inventory of my cable bag turns up:

Audio cables

Power cables

Power strip

Extension cable

Three-prong to two-prong adapter

Leatherman multi-tool

Earplugs

Umbrella

Gloves

Chemical hand warmers

Band-aids

Nail clippers

Hand lotion

Business cards

CDs

Note that most of these I only started carrying after some incident in which I really wished I had them, and didn't. ;)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the above, apart from nail clippers - surely your nails can't grow THAT MUCH in an evening? :P!

.....unless you're a werewolf??? :D

Also -

(fingerless) gloves

pen & notebook

snacks (maybe a sandwich/chocolate/crisps/fruit, etc

flask of soup/coffee

torch

mobile phone (fully charged!)

something to read/crossword puzzle - whilst waiting around for things to happen!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Like someone here once said. If the gig is farther than 45 minutes drive one way - a spare keyboard. I had one die on me during a sound check once and had to drive home (15 minutes) to get a spare. Now I keep one in the truck.

Spare damper pedal and switch pedal. Gaff tape.

I also carry a couple of IEC to extension cord adapters.

Like this

Pete

"all generalizations are false" ~Mark Twain

Kurzweil K2000, ME-1 and (2)PC3, Casio PX-350 AND PX-360, EV sXa 360

I used to carry a lot more "extras, just in case" until I realized the only ones ever needing those 'extras' were the other guys in the band. I got tired of financing their gaff tape habits. In my cable case these days, the only extras I keep are 2 groundlifts, one 20' midi cable, one 20' instrument cable, a 4' version of each, and a pair of 3ft instrument cables, each with a female to female military jack attached, in case I need to put my powered speaker somewhere instead of its usual place on top of my rack. Everything else in my cable case is necessary for the rig. In each of my keyboard cases is an extra IEC cable that never comes out. In my car I keep an extra IEC cable, another 20' midi and instrument cable, a 4' version of each, a sustain pedal, and a spare turnbuckle for my Invisible Stand, and a disposable one-use plastic sheet (like the kind painters or Dexter! would use) in case I'm playing outdoors and it rains.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Tool box with a rachet driver set that includes screwdriver and socketheads. Multitester, solder and iron. Hammond oil, groundlifts duct tape etc..... I used to carry a blow dryer but quit doing that when I got the XB-2 in 1992 or 1993 (whenever that was).

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

torch

http://kisi.smugmug.com/photos/383491826_LyjKF-M.jpg

Isn't that what the song "Smoke on the Water" was all about?

Just in case someone has a craving for Crème brûlée? ;)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8YqmLQsUSyk/SQHpW2tKNGI/AAAAAAAABKM/-xMu-mSjKSc/s320/sd1c36_corn_creme-brulee_e.jpg

I think he meant a flashlight. I speak some "British" as my mother grew up there and I went to college there for a year. I'm a bit rusty now though.
Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

Extra sustain pedal and volume pedal. Leatherman.

Always something to read, even though it seems to go against the grain of the macho (for lack of a better word?) musician image.

The extra keyboard is a perennial issue. The odds of one failing on a gig are so small, and I usually gig with 2 boards, so could somehow get by if one failed, so I never have. Now that I have a Korg PS60, that would be an easy one to toss (gently) into the car.

This thread could have been titled "gig prophylactics."

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Along with many of the things already mentioned I carry one of these to test the power before I plug in my gear.

http://www3.telus.net/wayne251/gfi.gif

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

rolling pape.....

Well, perhaps back in the old days!

Seriously, don't forget the back up data for your keyboards. I learned this the hard way when my K2600 crashed at sound check a few years ago. Had to race back home to retrieve the floppy disks, and got back to the gig and loaded the programs literally within seconds of the band starting. Not a way to start a gig. I now always carry the memory card for my PC3.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Hey FunkKeyStuff - you forgot the prophylactics...
Now that I think of it, maybe the lotion is in lieu of the prophylactics?

:facepalm:

I still want to know if John really carries a torch. I guess it's for the (torch) singer.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1hLtw5adjT8/SjulYhJhzuI/AAAAAAAACZs/BQqHz7K_58g/s320/Claudette+Colbert+in+Torch+Singer.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Being a Boy Scout in mind, I am similar to this. I have a medium size nylon bag with wheels with all this stuff thrown in. In a side compartment I carry a load of extra adapters, etc. plus a few small LED flashlights. This way I know I'll never need them!

I always keep 1 little LED flashlight on a ring on my keyboard stand; amazing how many times it is used by all, when something small drops on a dark stage. I colored the LEDs red with a marker, so the light is less intruding.

Also, 2 bottles of Wild Turkey in 7 oz Listerine bottles, and a flask with scotch and drambuie, just incase.

You know what I mean: things you probably won't need on any given gig, but may need eventually, and will be glad to have when you do. A quick inventory of my cable bag turns up:

Audio cables

Power cables

Power strip

Extension cable

Three-prong to two-prong adapter

Leatherman multi-tool

Earplugs

Umbrella

Gloves

Chemical hand warmers

Band-aids

Nail clippers

Hand lotion

Business cards

CDs

Note that most of these I only started carrying after some incident in which I really wished I had them, and didn't. ;)

Also, 2 bottles of Wild Turkey in 7 oz Listerine bottles, and a flask with scotch and drambuie, just incase.

In my book, this isn't "spares" or "emergency supplies," but it is "provisions," and a damn sight smarter than paying the club for liquor. I wouldn't put whiskey in a plastic bottle though. That just seems wrong.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

In my "keyboard accessory bag" , I carry all my cables, pedals (2 damper & 1 swell), power cords, extension cord, power strip, ground lifter, midi connections, clip light, small toolkit, flashlight & gaff tape and "my spares".

My "spares" consist of a set of redundant cables (two power, two instrument, two midi) and one damper and one swell pedal.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I don't carry any spare keyboards with me. I hope it never bites me in the butt, but in 30 years of gigging, it hasn't happened yet. If it does, I'll have to get by on the other one. I don't have room or funds for a spare Electro or S90ES.

I have a gym bag I leave in the van that has spare cables, spare midi cable, extra power cords, and my extra mixer (since the one in my rack is the oft maligned "B" word, and I'm waiting for it to blow up at any moment, since everyone says that's what will happen. I used to keep all of that in my main box with all of the stuff I used every gig and finally got to the point that I was tired of lugging it around, so I made up the gym bag just in case. It halved the weight of my box, which is an anvil type case about the size of a 6 space rack that holds everything I need.

Things like ibuprophen and antacid- those are a given, also reside in my van at all times. Flashlight, duct tape, zip ties- I have all of that in my box.

I don't carry any food or beverages. I can usually eat at our venue, and I stop off at the store and get a gatorade on my way to the gig.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived