Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ever Regret Selling a Guitar?

TuskBuffer

So here's my story:

When I was a young'n in the early 80's, I bought a Supro Dual Tone guitar from somebody for $35--it was my first electric guitar and I thought it was a piece of crap! I eventually sold it again for $35 after my dad bought me a '74 Les Paul Custom (which I still cherish to this day). Now, decades later, I search every once in a while on eBay when I'm feeling nostalgic to find that Supro and see it going for a minimum of $700, up to $2,000!!!! Now I wish I'd held on to that 1950's piece of crap (or so I thought) guitar!

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to have a twinges of regret after selling my seafoam green Fender Strat Plus with flamed maple neck.

But then I got another strat that I'm happier with and I picked up a '58 Duo-Sonic with a flamed maple neck and had it refinished in seafoam. So now I don't feel any guilt.

But I do regret selling my '74 Twin Reverb with Altec speakers (the grey ones with the monster magnets). That was a nice amp.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

I had a circa 1970 Les Paul Custom that I sold for $400 in the late 80s. I still have the original pickups somewhere as I put Duncans in.

I only wish I had it still today 'cause somebody would have given me a lot more $$ for it. It definitely wasn't worth it as most 70s Gibsons were trash! :facepalm:

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

But I do regret selling my '74 Twin Reverb with Altec speakers (the grey ones with the monster magnets). That was a nice amp.

My younger brother and I "shared" a 70's Twin Reverb. Not long after I moved out on my own, my brother sold it! Man, was I PISSED--I loved that big, heavy, awesome sounding amp!

It definitely wasn't worth it as most 70s Gibsons were trash!

Well, I'm rolling up my sleeves now, Player--talking about my '74 baby like that! :D It's my understanding that Gibson's quality didn't start going downhill until they moved out of Kalamazoo, MI in the early 80's.

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

It definitely wasn't worth it as most 70s Gibsons were trash!

Well, I'm rolling up my sleeves now, Player--talking about my '74 baby like that! :D It's my understanding that Gibson's quality didn't start going downhill until they moved out of Kalamazoo, MI in the early 80's.

No, the 70s (early decade in particular) were an extremely bad time in Gibson history. You may have gotten one that was OK. Notice I said most.

There was a reason Ibanez used to have adverts in Guitar Player magazine in the mid 70s with "It's a part of electric guitar lore that the old ones are better than the new ones."

My Custom had horrible binding work and the hardware was cheaply plated. I bought it used as a guitar to play, but that didn't excuse the shoddy workmanship.

My current Les Paul Standard is a 1980 model and it is WAY better in workmanship all the way around. Even the binding work.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

No regrets, I even smashed at a show 1976 Jazz bass in 92(I played bass full time back then) and still do not regret losing it on stage. And no regrets on selling my American made Kramer super strat, for like 225$ in 89. These things come and go, the only thing I wish I held on to was a tube tuner, I sold for gas money to get home from a gig.

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Not a guitar, but a 1956 Fender narrow-panel "tweed" "low-power" 5E8-A Twin Amp...

I was in a bind, and I made triple what I had paid for it, but still, I wish I hadn't sold it...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

White EDS-1275. I thought I needed something with a Floyd Rose whammy bar. Also there is a ES-175 I wish I had back.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I never regretted selling a guitar, with the money gained I would buy a better guitar.

I do regret not buying one though. I could have had a Les Paul Jr for 50 bucks back in the late 60's or so. It was a widow selling it, her hubby just died and she did not know the value of the guitar, and Leslie West was just becoming a big star playing one, and they were in big demand just a short while later. I passed on it because it did not have a tune-o-matic bridge. (of course when I thought about it a bit and went back the guitar was gone)

You bet. Back in the 80s, I had a nice Martin D-18. The club we all hung out at had closed, and I had little outlet for playing.

We were short of cash, so I thought I'd sell it.

At the time, however, acoustic dreadnaughts were not a hot item. Disco...

I had the devil of time getting a decent price for it. And of course almost immediately regretted letting it go.

Had a 1963 strat that I bought new that year then spray-painted it metallic purple in my parent's garage and sold it for $300.

Bought a 1964 or 65 Fender Electric 12 string - probably very rare now - traded it while on a gig in Albany for a new maple neck tele - found the tele too slippery under hot lights but it had better tuning stability than the strat - so I traded it in and got a 67 tele with a rosewood fingerboard which I still have. With upgraded tuning keys, pick-ups, body contour and flat clear finish - so once again I destroyed the value but it plays amazing.

Been round the block but am not over the hill...

http://www.bandmix.ca/jamrocker/

I've always regretted selling my 1st guitar (Peavey). Not that it was anything legendary, but I spent 8 years learning on that, and it had a lot of sentimental value (I still remember the day I bought it). 4-6 hours a day of non-stop practice (my poor parents) and I wore that thing's frets down do just about bare rosewood. Well, when I finally went to buy a second guitar the wife insisted I get rid of the old one to pay for part of it...so I sold it some young kid looking for his first guitar (at least it was put to good use). In hind sight I should have kept the guitar and sold the wife (later rectified that issue too :P )

I've only sold one guitar and two basses. Don't regret selling the guitar (Kramer Striker) or the one bass (also a Kramer Striker). Occassionally I'll wish I had held onto the Yamaha BB1100S, on which I had put a Hipshot D-Tuner; the preamp was kind of crappy, and I dind't know you could swap them at the time. Now, I just wish I could sell MORE of my guitars. At least, for a decent price.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

What is this concept of "selling guitars"? Guitars are made to be bought and played, not sold :)

I still have my first guiar, Peavey T-60 '76 or '77, it is currently in pieces and I no longer have the OEM bridge pickup but I'll get her back together and in as close to original condition as possible someday.

I have yet to sell a guitar- I'm a collector by nature- but I'm considering it.

The first guitar I ever played around with was my Mother's acoustic. I don't know what it was, but it has a maple top and a bright sound...but she gave it away to someone else before I expressed an interest in learning to play.

I got a cheapo starter Alvarez a year later and played it to death. Since then, every guitar I've ever purchased (9 so far) is still in my possession.

The one on the chopping block right now is a Dean Special Select EVO I purchased at the same time as a Dean Time Capsule Cadillac- my first true solidbody electrics. But I haven't played it since I purchased my fourth Jon Kammerer.

I'm considering selling it because I'm buying JK #5*, a solidbody w/Trem. But I'm also considering upgrading it's pickups to a pair of Tesla VR Extremes (as found on the Malden Subhuman).

Sentimental collector that I am, I fear I'd miss it's pretty face before long...

* FWIW, he's having a sale.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I never regretted selling a guitar, with the money gained I would buy a better guitar.

I do regret not buying one though. I could have had a Les Paul Jr for 50 bucks back in the late 60's or so. It was a widow selling it, her hubby just died and she did not know the value of the guitar, and Leslie West was just becoming a big star playing one, and they were in big demand just a short while later. I passed on it because it did not have a tune-o-matic bridge. (of course when I thought about it a bit and went back the guitar was gone)

I kind of have a similar story. I was offered a late 50s Les Paul Special TV Yellow for $150 or $200, in mid 70s from a friend of mine. We were both in the military at the time and he needed the money. I wasn't any better off so I had to pass.

Les Paul Studio Deluxe, '74 Guild S100, '64 Strat, JCM 900 Combo, Peavey Classic 30 1x12, Peavey Classic 30 Head, CBG

Archived