Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Bass Player

ADHDork

Hello my fellow Bassians, I am the newest newbie.

I haven't been a member of a forum in forever, and I'll be strolling through the threads to pick up the nuggets of knowledge dropped in search of a place to insert my smaller versions. I'll be the first to tell you that they're pretty small. The nuggets, that is.

I've been playing in a rock band, and I'd like to have the ability to spice it up a bit. I've been playing for about five years, and I recently started seeing a tutor to better my chops...I'm hoping to take it a step further with you guys. I'm in search of better technique, practice tips, song suggestions, and a general camaraderie with fellow musicians.

I've been watching you guys off and on for awhile now, and I think that it's time for me to get my feet wet.

Nice to meet you :)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome ADHDork;

Member of the LowDown - $ XXX

Experience as a Bass Player - $ XXX

Taking lessons - $ PRICELESS!!

There's a ton of experience here to learn from - not from me, but others.

Make the best of your lessons and enjoy!!

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Now what fun is it if you do not post some spam about yourself so we can get all flame crazy? Kidding, of course! Welcome to the club!

What type of rock band do you play in? Covers or original stuff? Classic hard rock, or a more modern style of rock? Do you have a link to a site so we can check out some recordings?

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Thanks, guys!

I play in an original, 'modern'? rock band. Part progressive, part punk, part metal and all fun. The band's called For the Most Part - here's some of our music:

http://www.myspace.com/forthemostpart

I'm the dude with the constipated glint in his eye on the left. There's some flame material for ya ;)

Advice, tips, techniques, and sarcasm are absolutely requested. Haha..

I'm trying to get more of a feel of playing by myself, picking up some gigs on the side, and becoming more of a full player. I've got an instructor to help push me through some of the tougher music theory in Mel Bay books, but I really want literally to try my hand at slap, funk, jazz, and blues. There is so much more out there that I want to incorporate into writing and playing. With regards to my current technique, I'm alright with fingers, but I get the aggressive attack that I need with a pick.

From what I've read and researched about you guys, I'm in the right place :)

Advice:

- Keep your ears and mind open. Listen to everything. Jazz. Folk. Rock in its myriad forms. Maybe even C&W once in a while. Look for jam sessions and open mics in your area.

- By all means, ask us to compare and contrast gear. Don't start off a topic with "Pick my next _______." (by extension, don't come here bitchin' about your Behringer equipment catching fire and burning)

- Have a skin. If you don't, grow one. If someone gets surley, or chippy, or something, either consider the source or don't take it personal. DOMA club patrons aren't much on feelings, either.

- Stay out of the stoopid arguments. Every once in a while, one of the genre snobs will get off on one of the other genre snobs and start speaking in absolutes. Resist the impulse to mediate. "Mediate" is Latin for "Roadkill" (look it up if you don't believe me).

- Everything Jeremy sez is true. Always. Only time an aboslute applies.

- Resist the impulse to flame the stoopid. It'll just get you canned. We have professionals here to do that.

- Resist refering to "Pompalamoose" as "the whitest white-music plying all-white white band ever! (white)"

Miss anything?

Welcome. Stick and stay.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Thanks for the advice, guys :) I'm going to take this as far as it can take me.

Eric VB - I'm looking to test my mettle anywhere and everywhere. I'm down for a cover band, but I'd ultimately like to stick with an original band. I'm in one right now, but we're in the trying-to-find-shows hiatus. The lead guy wants to start using a laptop for some stuff, and I don't know how I feel about that just yet.

BassHappi - Yeah, I saw that he gives lessons (at Bass Emporium, I think), and I'm thinking about getting a lesson or two. The issue is really a financial one, and I've got a pretty good arrangement going on right now.

I recently became a bit limited - I went skydiving and rolled my ankle on the landing. One helluva story, but shitty outcome. You know, you might think that a cane is more distinguished than crutches...but all it does is make you look like you forgot how to walk. Bottom line is that I now can't move heavy equipment. Annoyingly limiting.

Eric VB - I'm looking to test my mettle anywhere and everywhere. I'm down for a cover band, but I'd ultimately like to stick with an original band. I'm in one right now, but we're in the trying-to-find-shows hiatus. The lead guy wants to start using a laptop for some stuff, and I don't know how I feel about that just yet.
Cool. Just wanted to make sure you didn't get stuck in a situation where two original bands wanted you to tour at the same time. At least with cover bands it's easier to get a sub.

• 3 weeks later...
Give up now. Switch to harmonica. It's a lot easier to carry around, and I don't need any more competition.

Seriously, welcome! We have fun here most of the time.

No, the shaky egg that latin percussionist use. You can't play a wrong melodic note.

Welcome to the Low Down Lowdown. It's a great forum, filled with people who (mostly) know what they're talking about. :laugh:

We're looking forward to your nuggets, no matter how small.

"Everyone wants to change the world, but no one thinks of changing themselves." Leo Tolstoy

Archived