Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It's About Time - Dr. John in the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame

Mr. Nightime

The performer Inductees are:

· Alice Cooper Band

· Neil Diamond

· Dr. John

· Darlene Love

· Tom Waits

Ahmet Ertegun Award recipients (nonperformers):

· Jac Holzman

· Art Rupe

Award for Musical Excellence Award (previously the Sidemen category):

· Leon Russell

DR. JOHN

New Orleans own Dr. John has been recording for more than 50 years. He is steeped in the rhythms and traditions of the city, and has spent his career championing its music. As he told New Orleans rhythm & blues historian Jeff Hannusch, [New Orleans music] is part of whatever Im about. The importance of it is beyond anything I do. Born Malcolm John Mac Rebennack, he learned piano and guitar as a child. Schooled by Crescent City legends like Walter Papoose Nelson, James Booker and Cosimo Matassa, Rebennack began recording in 1957; between 1956-1963, more than 50 of his songs were recorded in New Orleans. In 1965, Rebennack moved to Los Angeles and worked as a session player. Working with Harold Battiste, he created the Dr. John the Night Tripper character, a tribute to New Orleans musical and spiritual traditions that meshed perfectly with psychedelia. His first album, Gris-Gris, was a masterpiece, evoking voodoo legends over a funky mix. In the first half of the 1970s, he released a series of albums that mixed New Orleans classics with his own original material, all driven by his remarkable piano playing and great bands, most notably his collaboration with Allen Toussaint and the Meters on Right Place, Wrong Time, a smash funk hit. He has produced albums for Professor Longhair and Van Morrison, collaborated with Doc Pomus on a group of songs recorded by B.B. King on There Must Be a Better World Somewhere (1981), and released several acclaimed solo piano records. In recent years he has become a spokesman for New Orleans and its musical history, all the while continuing to record creative, challenging music.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say what you will about the Hall of Fame. I just think it's about time that Dr. John got the recognition he so richly deserves.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

There are glaring issues with this year's choices:

- The Neil Diamond induction must have put Barry Manilow fans in a tizzy over the snub.

- If Alice Cooper is in, what is the argument against Kiss?

- Dr John, OK. Tom Waits, OK. But not Randy Newman? Leonard Cohen?

Randy Newman? You are kidding, right?

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

I don't want to get drawn in to defending the Hall's choices, because of course that is an exercise in futility, but:

Alice was the originator of shock rock that made Kiss possible. He should of course be at the head of that particular line.

Moe

---

"I keep wanting to like it's sound, but every demo seems to demonstrate that it has the earth-shaking punch and peerless sonics of the Roland Gaia. " - Tusker

http://www.hotrodmotm.com

Say what you will about the Hall of Fame. I just think it's about time that Dr. John got the recognition he so richly deserves.

I think the problem is that that "recognition" is not as rich as it could be for the very reason that the Hall has made some questionable choices for inclusion and even more questionable choices for omission (at least thus far).

Noah

I don't want to get drawn in to defending the Hall's choices, because of course that is an exercise in futility, but:

Alice was the originator of shock rock that made Kiss possible. He should of course be at the head of that particular line.

And, considering that Kiss wasn't so much "shock rock" as they were a marketing machine, I'd say W.A.S.P. should get a nod before the Gene and Paul show.

I think Alice just opened the door for them.

I think it's high time for all rockers to boycott the HOF unless the unwritten ban on RUSH is lifted. These guys are still filling arenas, they have earned it. Screw Jann Wenner and his obvious bias.

Alice Cooper actually had some interesting music that appealed to people older than 13 years old is my guess.

In my quest to assemble a cover band here recently, I came across a drummer who stated flatly that he was "totally influenced by Peter Criss".

Suffice to say, I kept looking.

I think Alice just opened the door for them.

I think it's high time for all rockers to boycott the HOF unless the unwritten ban on RUSH is lifted. These guys are still filling arenas, they have earned it. Screw Jann Wenner and his obvious bias.

Rush? Hell, what about Procol Harum, the vanguards of Prog?

I think it's high time for all rockers to boycott the HOF unless the unwritten ban on RUSH is lifted.

I've already done so, thank you very much....

This omission truly is the biggest stain on the RNRHOF roster (if you ask me), and it's just incapable of being overlooked or explained away at this point.

Noah

I think it's high time for all rockers to boycott the HOF unless the unwritten ban on RUSH is lifted.

I've already done so, thank you very much....

This omission truly is the biggest stain on the RNRHOF roster (if you ask me), and it's just incapable of being overlooked or explained away at this point.

Noah

Like I said, until Procol Harum (and King Crimson) gets the recognition due them, it's hard to justify any other prog band getting theirs, no matter how worthy.

And, considering that Kiss wasn't so much "shock rock" as they were a marketing machine, I'd say W.A.S.P. should get a nod before the Gene and Paul show.

Marketing machine...much like Madonna, RRHOF 2008. Her RRHOF bio includes: "No one in the pop realm has manipulated the media with such a savvy sense of self-promotion."

I'm in no way a fan of Kiss (though I find Gene very entertaining sans makeup) but growing up at a time when they were SO huge, it's hard for me to dismiss them completely.

I'm in no way a fan of Kiss (though I find Gene very entertaining sans makeup) but growing up at a time when they were SO huge,

Most HOF's go by statistics etc. The Rock HOF is pretty much dominated by one dude who's using his personal bias solely to decide who gets in. That's just wrong, and not in the spirit of it.

I have no idea who should be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Frame. Many inductees I didn't realize were part of the genre. All these HOFs are a crock. Even the Football HOF will not induct Ray Guy or Art Monk.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

No specific love for Leon Russell in this thread? I remember when I, curiously, pulled his greatest hits album off my dad's shelf and fell in love. Then discovered I'd been listening to his playing for years on other people's albums. Definitely an essential.

No specific love for Leon Russell in this thread?

I dunno. I'm up on the tight rope about it all... and my lady's girdle izon so tight, well, the lady's blue. :rimshot:

(Sowwy... I needz anutha cup a joe this mornin'.) :bor:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived