Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Music of 2010

Geoff Grace

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recording wise,

Mojo-Tom Petty (Im having difficulty remembering what NEW music I bought this year that I loved).

Best shows of this year for me were:

Tom Petty, Nashville, August 12

Rush, Chicago (make-up show, August 23?)

Roger Waters, Chicago, Sept. 22

Widespread Panic, Chicago, July 17

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I've been listening to "The Union" by Elton John & Leon Russell. That and "We Walk This Road" by Robert Randolph.

Both rank right up there for me

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Corrine Bailey Rae's album The Sea is one of the best records I've heard in years.

I'll have to check that one out. Might work well along with the Nora Jones duets CD I got for my wife.

Willie Dixon

JJ Grey & Mofro - Georgia Warhorse.

Both for the quality of the music and, since this is a keyboard forum, the great use of vintage keys all through the album.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

AhI did buy a couple Grace Potter & The Nocturnals cds. Great stuff.

And Id be remiss if I didnt amend my concert list to include this years Crossroads show. Jeff Beck TORE THAT PLACE UP, and then his bassist Rhonda Shears disposed of the body (she was incredible, and even more ferocious than Tal Wilkenfeld).

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Here are the ones I enjoyed the most:

Brad Mehldau - Highway Rider

Mavis Staples - You Are Not Alone

Joy Kills Sorrow - Darkness Sure Becomes This City.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Gotta agree with Kevin and Dave about Corinne's exquisite album.

I'll add the following:

Chris Lightcap's Bigmouth, Deluxe (the always excellent Craig Taborn on Wurlitzer)

SISU, "Sharp Teeth" 7"

Dum Dum Girls, I Will Be

CeeLo "F@#% You" for single of the year. I think I first learned of it here just 2 days after it hit YouTube and it was love a first listen.

And Id be remiss if I didnt amend my concert list to include this years Crossroads show. Jeff Beck TORE THAT PLACE UP, and then his bassist Rhonda Shears disposed of the body (she was incredible, and even more ferocious than Tal Wilkenfeld).

+1 for Jeff Beck live this summer. Beck slayed and performed 2 sold out shows the same night. While I don't have his latest "Emotion & Commotion", the material was stunning during the concert. A few days earlier, I saw Tal with Herbie. She appeared under the weather so it would be unfair to compare her to Rhonda Smith, who is a badass of the highest order.

Loved the Jeff Beck 'Les Paul' Tribute. Jeff and Imelda May are doing a North East US tour in December. The Imelda May Band stuff fits nicely with Rockpile, NRBQ, and the Blasters in a play list. I'm getting the sense there amy be another rockabolly roots revival which is always good.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAUAAn46ji0

No keys....

One of the great things about threads like this is the opportunity to hear new music. And not just any new music, but new music that's loved by people you know and respect.

Thanks for sharing. I'm enjoying the listening; and this year, that's easier than ever--now that Apple has increased the length of iTunes previews to 90 seconds per cut and so many cuts are available in full-length form on YouTube. :cool:

Keep 'em coming!

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

My favorite album I got this year has to be Lazy Afternoon by Catherine Woodruff. I was listening to it so much I almost had to hide it.

Others in heavy rotation -

Holiday by Winter Wallace.

Rock and Roll Reaction by The 71s

iTunes Festival: London 2010 - EP by Tony Bennett

Trippin' The Keys: Music Of Jimi Hendrix by Josh Charles

The Other Side by Wayside Drive

Back in Style by Tad Robinson was even good too! ;)

Honorable Mention to Croweology by the Black Crowes, Mojo by Tom Petty, and Push by Jacky Terrasson.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I just bought my wife "Featuring Norah Jones", an album of songs where she is either the guest artist, or she has a guest artist. Very nice album. One of my favorite songs on there is "Here We Go Again", with Norah on Piano, Ray Charles on keyboards and vocals, and Billy Preston on B3. IIRC it's originally on Ray's "Genius Love's Company".

Willie Dixon

Forgot a great band from Brazil called Pata de Elefante. It's instrumental rock (not the wankey Satriani kind, it's a mix of styles) played by a guitar-bass-drums trio with a big help from the keyboards (mainly organ and clav) and brass section. Since it's instrumental, no worries about languages. Just hear it:

http://albumvirtual.trama.uol.com.br/album/1128131230

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

You know, this is a hard one. I've bought a lot of things this year, but so many of them are re-issues or whatever. Some of this stuff, I like, but I don't love, that are truly new music for 2010:

Black Dub (this is Daniel Lanois' band, and I like it, but I want to like it more but can't for some reason; still, it's really good)

Flying Lotus "Cosmogramma" (I like it okay, but I don't find it transcendent the way he can be in a club at times)

Neil Young "Le Noise" (I don't have this release, but did like it when I had it streaming. It took me a while to warm up to this because I usually don't like voice accompanied by electric guitar and nothing else, so it took me a little bit to overcome my bias).

Cee Lo

Four Tet - (I can't remember what their release is, but I seem to remember it sounding pretty good)

Black Country Communion (a surprisingly decent heavy rock release with Glenn Hughes on vocals. I don't have this one either, but liked what I've heard so far)

This is a really small list of the stuff I did hear or buy this year, but as I said, the large majority of the stuff I got were technically re-releases, compilations of international music, etc.

This following is either a 2009 or 2010 release, but no matter, it should be mentioned. Most of you probably won't care for this, but for those who love raw Afro-Cuban rhythms field-recording style, you will love this. Here's Aquarius Music's description:

Whoa!!!! There is really no other way to begin a review of this mind blowing collection of carnival music from Eastern Cuba. The World Audio Foundation, an offshoot of the always awesome Soul Jazz label, seems to be on a tear lately as we are still listening to the Anchiskhati Choir (the only other release on the label so far, currently being repressed or something) all the time, although we have to say Conga De Los Hoyos takes it all to another level.

Take any preconceived notions of what you think carnival music from Cuba might sound like because this blasts into some other sonic plane as the music here pulsates with the raging sounds of the Chinese trumpet (?), along with over 50 percussionists playing everything from hubcaps to car brake drums to congas and more. This amazing and gorgeous cacophony has us thinking of some charged melding of the intense zorna sounds of Zadik Zecharia with the relentless momentum of Konono No.1, or maybe Pharoah Sanders and the Master Musicians of Joujuka taking to the streets to create the kind of wild street party we wish was happenin' on OUR street.

The fact that all these sounds come from the Los Hoyos neighborhood of Santiago, in a tradition that's been going strong since 1902 only makes this more mind boggling, and is another reminder that in almost every nook, corner and neighborhood of the world, people have found a way to use music to communicate in a way that's truly universal and in this case totally transcendent!

Type in "CONGA DE LOS HOYOS carnival music of eastern cuba" in the search field of Aquarius Records, a fantastic record store that has an online store as well.

Black Dub (this is Daniel Lanois' band, and I like it, but I want to like it more but can't for some reason; still, it's really good)

The Black Dub album is a disappointment. After seeing them live, I was excited to buy it, but having heard it, I haven't. I don't like the production, and Trixie over-sings. The energy of their live show wasn't captured.

I really want to like

The Black Dub album is a disappointment. After seeing them live, I was excited to buy it, but having heard it, I haven't. I don't like the production, and Trixie over-sings. The energy of their live show wasn't captured.

I thought it would be better as well, especially after enjoying them so much live as well. I just can't get super excited about it so far for much the same reasons, but more then over-singing. The production is good, but I really thought it would be much better than that, and I thought the guitar playing would be more like what he did live, with these cool extended psychedelic parts. It's not bad at all, but I had high expectations for it, and so far, I'm not totally enthralled.

CeeLo "F@#% You" for single of the year. I think I first learned of it here just 2 days after it hit YouTube and it was love a first listen.

I second that..... just something about it that's really catchy... + he has a great voice.

(don't you find that usually the ones you get in your head are pathetically annoying,

& there's no rational explanation for it ? :mad:)

[video:youtube]

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Archived